Skip to main content
Topic: Rear Leaf Spring Noise-2005 30TB (Read 24 times) previous topic - next topic
Rear Leaf Spring Noise-2005 30TB
Yahoo Message Number: 66450
Some time ago I posted a request seeking to learn whether anyone else was experiencing noisy rear (leaf) springs on their 2005 Ford chassis.  Someone else had mentioned it last summer as a continuing problem with his 2005 chassis.  He was able to resolve the problem with WD-40 but only temporarily.  The problem came back after encountering wet weather.

The noise I hear is not a squeek but sounds rather like the release of built up tension between heavy metal parts.  It is more of a "clunk" than a "squeek." It can be heard when starting out from a stop and at low speeds over uneven surfaces, but it can also be heard with the engine off and the motorhome parked as I walk around in the interior of the coach.
 I took it to a Ford garage in Tucson and they lubed the rear springs and the problem disappeared for several thousand miles. Now the noise is  back and the Ford garage in Sumner WA was unable to resolve it on the first try.  I am taking it back to them on Tuesday, May 9th.  It might be helpful to me to know whether this is a widespread problem associated with the 2005 E-450 Chassis.  I did not experience it with our 2003 model.
Nate Walker Tacoma WA

Re: Rear Leaf Spring Noise-2005 30TB
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 66480
Hello!  Nate,

I probably was the person who posted the noisy rear leaf spring problem.    I have yet to resolve the problem.... and am also open to hear from any other members as to whether they have a solution.   My chassis is a 2005 Ford 23'.   I did put air bags on the rear, but still experience the noise.   I am going to have to make note of when the problem happens and under what conditions before I get serious with Ford....   Sometimes when I have the rig empty I don't seem to hear the noise as much.   When I load it up with supplies, water and fuel,  I hear the spring noise  more than other times.   I welcome any help from fellow travelers and experienced mechanics....
Thanks for bringing this problem up to the group once again,

Bonnie, Phoenix, Arizona winter.....  On the road

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 66481
Hi Nate and Bonnie

If you haven't already done so, it might help to contact the Ford motorhome division with the 800 number in your warranty papers, and see if they would run a database check in their customer complaint, service bulletin, and recall files for any similar problem with their E-450 chassis. If this is a "stretched" chassis, contacting the LD factory and/or the shop doing the stretch work might help also.I did the Ford check when I was working on my passenger seat problem. I didn't get any hits, but it was another base to cover.

Will 2004 23.5 TK

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 66489
Hi Nate and Bonnie

If you haven't already done so, it might help to contact the Ford motorhome division with the 800 number in your warranty papers, and see if they would run a database check..."> Will 2004 23.5 TK
Will, Thank you for your response.  At your suggestion I did call the Ford Motorhome Customer Service number and asked if they had any customer feedback on noisy rear leaf springs.  They ran a check and said that they found nothing.

They asked me for the weight on each wheel station and I gave the weights to them.  I am glad they are under the Ford max gross for each axle and and under the tire ratings at each corner. They thought that since I am about 260 pounds heavier on the passenger side that might be part of the problem and that I might need airbags. (Right)

So, I called, but I didn't find them helpful. I am taking the motorhome back again to Riverside Ford in Sumner WA tomorrow and if they are able to resolve the problem I will post an update.

(Note for Bonnie: If you had a thirty footer instead of a 23 you wouldn't have to make a record of when the noise occurs.  It occurs all the time. Sorry your airbags didn't help.)

Nate Walker Tacoma

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 67131
Nate,

We have occasionally also heard this THUNK, although never when we are driving.  Ours occurs when we are parked and walking around, often when we first get out of bed in the morning.

We had Statkus check it out yesterday and while they couldn't find anything wrong with the leaf springs, they came up with an alternate suggestion.  They noted that that LD had sheeted the underside of the rig with metal (a sort of sealing?) and they suspected that it was this that was flexing and causing the noise.

Just a thought,

Kate

In Cholula, the Red 30TB  . . . Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 67136
"We had Statkus check it out yesterday and while they couldn't find anything wrong with the leaf springs, they came up with an alternate suggestion.  They noted that that LD had sheeted the underside of the rig with metal (a sort of sealing?) and they suspected that it was this that was flexing and causing the noise"

When our 2003 was new, it made very noticeable creaking noises that occurred when someone moved around the interior while parked.
I had my wife walk around while I lay under the LD listening.
The noises came from the sheet metal that covered the bottom of the floor. I tighten all the screws I could reach and it cured the problem. I still occasionally will hear a creak.

The old LDs did not use sheet metal to cover the bottom of floor; instead they had the exposed plywood coated with an asphalt undercoating. The coating tended to dry and flake off after many years. The bottom of our '83 LD had plywood that was starting to separate, primarily the bottom of the storage bins and vertical pieces at the front of the coach and around the rear wheel wells.
I used a spray-on undercoating to reseal theses areas.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 67141
Hello Nate, and Kate also!

Thought I'd make a few more postings before our LD leaves for its new owners next week and I retire from this bb.
 Nate, if you are experiencing a rear spring noise as you walk around the coach, it would typically involve a few thousand pounds of weight realigning itself or taking up some slack

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 67143
"Thought I'd make a few more postings before our LD leaves for its new owners next week and I retire from this bb."
 Don, I hope you'll pop in once in a while. You've contributed a lot of good advice over the years and your knowledge level won't decrease just because your LD is gone!

Karen

Re: Was Rear Leaf Spring ...now Don McG retiring from the group
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 67155
Thought I'd make a few more postings before our LD leaves for its new owners next week and I retire from this bb. .
'Best, Don McGlothlen
Hi Don McG,
 I just wanted to thank you for all that you have contributed to this message board. Its folks like you that have enhanced my RV ownership!
 Sure hope you check in on us from time to time and further share your wealth of knowledge.

May the wind be at your back and your end caps stay intact!

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Re: Don McG retiring from the group
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 67160
"I just wanted to thank you for all that you have contributed to this message board. It's folks like you that have enhanced my RV ownership!"

AMEN! Don, you'll be sorely missed.

Andy Baird

Villanueva State Park, NM
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 72810
Some time ago I posted a request seeking to learn whether anyone else was experiencing noisy rear (leaf) springs on their 2005 Ford chassis.

Sorry for the late reply to this message.  I've experienced the same problem on my 05 ford chasis rear kitchen LD.  Took the rig to Vreeland Ford and the tech said the leaf springs were "dry" they oiled but it only partially cleared the problem.  Will let you know if I find a fix.  If you resolved the problem, please post the answer.  Thanks

Mark and Louene 05 Blue RK

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 72879
A brief synopsis on our spring noise: it is more of a thunk than a squeek.  It sounds like friction pressure being released suddenly.  It has been present for nearly all of the 20 months we have owned this LD.
 We have visited three Ford dealerships.  Holmes Tuttle in Tucson made the noise go away for a few weeks.  The other two Ford agencies (in Washington State) were unable to solve the problem.  They thought the noise was coming from "somewhere higher up in the LD portion of the motorhome".  They suggested I take it back to the LD Factory.

The Ford Motorhome Customer Service Line was no help.  They thought air bags might be needed.
 I called the Mothership and Vince said he would be happy to schedule an appointment and so we drove to Montclair.  Steve came out and decided that it was definitely a Ford suspension noise.  They introduced us to John Rudberg, Commercial Account Manager for Peck Road Ford Truck Center where LD buys their chasses.  John was very helpful in arranging an appointment for the following morning at Peck RoRoad Truck Center.  He followed through with their service department and checked on us while we waited.

Service Manager Eddie Torres knew why we were there and assigned Technician Armando to resolve the problem once and for all.  Armando was able to make the noise go away but said he thought it might return.  Eddie called Ford and got approval to change both leaf springs.  It took a few days for the springs to arrive.
 While we were waiting for their arrival we stayed at the Elks Lodge in Ontario and were delighted to see home town LD owners Jim and Alene Pappas pull in with their beautiful red LD.  They were scheduled for service the next morning at the mothership.
 Now the new springs have arrived and Armando has our LD up on jacks.
It is difficult to remove and replace the springs without removing body panels and/or holding tanks so the job is not easy and was not completed in one day.  Since the unit is high in the rear end, I decided to turn off the refer and the propane.  We will no doublt lose the frozen and chilled foods we were carrying.  That is a small price to pay if the job is successful.
 And, this part is for Sharon N, we are staying at the La Quinta Motor Inn at La Palma (Buena Park) because it is much closer to Peck Road Ford than the La Quinta Inn at Ontario where we have stayed before. we travel with a kitty and for us, La Quinta means your pet is welcome here.

Thanks to Mark and Louene for bringing up the subject of Rear Leaf Spring Noise again.  I have been very happy with the service at the mothership and at Peck Road Ford. Keep your fingers crossed for us.
Maybe we will soon be able to close this subject out with a final comment.

Nate Walker 2005 30TB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 72900
Nate, What did the tech do to make it go away that would cause it to come back later?? Did they say what was worng with the old springs??  was it fixed on the new springs??  Might it happen aga

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 72905
[snip]>

And, this part is for Sharon N, we are staying at the La Quinta Motor Inn at La Palma (Buena Park) because it is much closer to Peck Road Ford than the La Quinta Inn at Ontario where we have stayed before. we travel with a kitty and for us, La Quinta means your pet is welcome here.
[snip]>

Nate Walker 2005 30TB
Thanks, Nate.  Yes, our two Yorkies have enjoyed their stay here at the Ontario La Quinta.  They even took the elevator in stride.
 This afternoon we checked out the work Vince and his crew did on our 30'TB, mainly repairing the bottom panel on the driver's side to fix a run-in with a gas station cement curb, and it looks beautiful.  We'll pick it up tomorrow AM and head out.  I'm not sure in which direction, but I'm ready to leave sunny southern CA behind.  I'm not a California kind of girl.
 I, too, am interested in the outcome of the work you're having done on the LD's springs.  Good luck!

Sharon N.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 74849
A brief synopsis on our spring noise: it is more of a thunk than a squeek.  It sounds like friction pressure being released suddenly.  > Thanks to Mark and Louene for bringing up the subject of Rear Leaf Spring Noise again.  I have been very happy with the service at the mothership and at Peck Road Ford. Keep your fingers crossed for us.
Maybe we will soon be able to close this subject out with a final comment.

Nate Walker 2005 30TB
Nate,

Any more news on how this worked?  Did Ford cover under warrenty? If not how much did the repair set you back?  Our springs are still noisy even after the local dealer greased them.  Thanks for any update.

Mark and Louene 2005 Blue RK

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 74858
A brief synopsis on our spring noise: it is more of a thunk than a squeek.  It sounds like friction pressure being released
suddenly.
Nate,

Any more news on how this worked?  Did Ford cover under warrenty? If not how much did the repair set you back?  Our springs are still noisy even after the local dealer greased them.  Thanks for any
update.

Mark and Louene 2005 Blue RK
Mark and Louene,
 We have driven almost two thousand miles since leaving Peck Road Ford and never heard a hint of the spring noise again.  They replaced both rear springs under warranty.  They did not see anything unusual with the old springs after they were removed.  But, the noise appears to be gone.

I would encourage you to pursue this while you are still under warranty.  It would be an expensive proposition if you had to pay for it yourself.  Tanks may have to be removed and replaced.
 I have no doubt that Steve at Lazy Daze was helpful in arranging the warranty work at Peck Road Ford since they buy their Ford chassis from them.  Still, everyone at Peck Road Ford was courteous and helpful and we were grateful for the service we received.  It stands in marked contrast to the service we encountered (on our own)at three other Ford dealerships.
 I have since written a letter of appreciation to Peck with a copy to Steve.

Good luck, Nate