Skip to main content
Topic: Furnace Duct Hose (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Furnace Duct Hose
Yahoo Message Number: 66335
I was ready to go out for my first trip last weekend and discovered that the furnace duct hose on my 2003 T-K was ripped open.  Apparently the drawer that is right above the hose, ripped it when it was opened and closed.  Luckily, there was a Camping World in Amsterdam, NY, on the way to Lake George where I was heading.  I arrived an hour before the service department closed. They were very accommodating and replaced the hose for me. I was able to use the furnace during the chilly mornings and evenings at Lake George.  If you have a drawer above your furnace duct hose, perhaps you should check it.

Monica NE 10
Monica
2017 MB

Re: Furnace Duct Hose
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 66346
I was ready to go out for my first trip last weekend and discovered that the furnace duct hose on my 2003 T-K was ripped open.  Apparently the drawer that is right above the hose, ripped it when it was opened and closed.

Thanks for the heads up!
 The drawer in question (the one right underneath the refrigerator in the TK) has never opened all the way in our rig, but I'd never given it much thought.  Earl took the two drawers next to it out so he could see what was underneath.  Turns out the reason the drawer wouldn't come out all the way was because it was catching on the furnace duct hose!  Earl was able to push the hose down enough that he could get the drawer out, and he then pushed the hose down as far as it would go so it is no longer in the way of the drawer.  Fortunately, there are no rips in the hose.

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 66349
Thanks for the heads up!
 The drawer in question (the one right underneath the refrigerator in the TK) has never opened all the way in our rig, but I'd never given it much thought.  Earl took the two drawers next to it out so he could see what was underneath.  Turns out the reason the drawer wouldn't come out all the way was because it was catching on the furnace duct hose!  Earl was able to push the hose down enough that he could get the drawer out, and he then pushed the hose down as far as it would go so it is no longer in the way of the drawer.  Fortunately, there are no rips in the hose.

Linda Hylton 2004 Red 23.5' TK

Linda

We have the same year and model just a few months apart(you red, me grey) and I regard this, in my opinion, as another design flaw that the factory does not appear to regard as a problem, along with the plastic door clips, miserable water pump location for service and repair (you'd be knowing about this), the roller shade over the entry door, glaringly bright interior lights, no use of day-night shades in the rear lounge, sub-optimal stock rear-view mirrors, hard cushions, upholstery in questionable taste, and that crank handle on the overhead hatch that keeps jabbing me in the *** at the most inopportune times. These are just off the top of my head and I am sure that many will not regard some or all of these as problems, and others might well add to the list. But, as with a close friend, you love it/him/her despite its/his/her perceived shortcomings.

Will 2004 23.5 TK

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 66353
Linda Hylton  wrote: The drawer in question (the one right underneath the refrigerator in the TK) has never opened all the way in our rig, but I'd never given it much thought.  Earl took the two drawers next to it out so he could see what was underneath.  Turns out the reason the drawer wouldn't come out all the way was because it was catching on the furnace duct hose!  Earl was able to push the hose down enough that he could get the drawer out, and he then pushed the hose down as far as it would go so it is no longer in the way of the drawer.
Fortunately, there are no rips in the hose.
----- This "under the refrigerator drawer catching on the furnace duct hose on the 23.5' TK" thing has been a problem for a *long* time, and, frankly, I think that Lazy Daze has been remiss in not addressing and FIXING the problem way before this.  I discovered this design glitch soon after I picked up my rig in November, 2003; they were very aware that the drawer caught on the duct hose, often ripping a hole in the hose, and acknowledged that it was a "problem". The factory's "fix" was to do what Earl did (and I would bet a whole lot of other folks who found out they had a hole in the duct hose!), i.e, mash the hose down so the drawer doesn't catch on it.

The essential problem is that the under-refrigerator drawer is too deep; "re-tooling" to build a 1/2" shallower drawer and re-cutting the drawer "hole" doesn't seem to be that big a deal, but LD apparently either doesn't feel that way or doesn't think that the problem is serious enough to warrant a drawer re-design. IMO, a hole in the furnace duct hose is not a particularly desirable feature! YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Furnace Duct Hose
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 66343
Monica wrote:

...  If you have a drawer above your furnace duct hose, perhaps you should check it.
You are right.  That is the biggest problem I have discovered with the design of the T/K.  You might have to put something between the hose and the drawer.  That worked for us.

Allen

--

I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
It has removed 1080 spam emails to date.
Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
Try www. SPAMfighter.com for free now!