Skip to main content
Topic: Levelers on 23.5' LD (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Levelers on 23.5' LD
Yahoo Message Number: 66258
How many have installed levelers on their 23.5' or under LDs?  What brand did you have installed?

John K

Re: Levelers on 23.5' LD
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 66264
"How many have installed levelers on their 23.5' or under LDs?"
 John, have you looked at the archives? Given how extensively this topic has been discussed in the past, I think you'll find much more practical information on levelers that way--at your fingertips!--than by posting here and waiting for responses.

Andy Baird

City of Rocks State Park, NM
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 66273
How many have installed levelers on their 23.5' or under LDs?  What brand did you have installed?
John, We have HWH levelers on our '89 22'. We're the third owners and the original installed them. They've never malfunctioned and give us enough lift to change the tires, if we were crazy enough to attempt it. I know HWH isn't everyone's favorite but ours have been trouble free for 16 or more years.

Karen - getting ready to use Bill H's fiberglass and aluminum polishes. Not a lot of RV shops around here but we have 5 major marine stores within a few miles.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 66293

John K
I was about to get levelers on our new 23.5 FD, but when I visited the installers, they told me that my exhaust pipe would have to be moved first, and the height of the levelers wasn't going to as much as I had hoped.  And the price was going to be more than I had thought.  So, didn't get them.  So far, have gotten along without them just fine.
The 23.5 is tail high on a level surface anyway, so if there is only a small slope, parking with the tail downhill lessens the tilt.  The refrigerator and I are both happy enough with being a little off level.

Judy G.
Elsie 2004

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 66298
How many have installed levelers on their 23.5' or under LDs? What brand did you have installed?

John K
John,
 While not what you asked, I just finished installing HWH "kick down" hydraulic jacks on my 26.5 mid bath. I posted a few pictures in the photo section.
 It really would be no different installing these or similar jacks on any size LD. In fact, HWH just came out with a "new" package specifically for the Ford E-450 chassis Class-C motorhome. The jacks mount to the frame via clamps. No drilling or welding required. The front jacks are telescopic (i.e. a ram within a ram for more lift while still collapsing to give good ground clearance - - something the slightly more expensive and complex "kick down" type jack gains by folding up out of the way.

When purchasing my jacks for DIY install, I first called HWH and they gave me all the part numbers of the stuff I'd need. I then purchased the parts from PPL Motorhomes on-line, as they had the best prices I could find.

Self installing hydraulic jacks is fairly straightforward. However, the installation instructions assume the system is being installed by an experienced and qualified mechanic. Even then, they are pretty abreviated.
 I got the 625 Automatic, computer control/hydraulic power pack. This model is relatively large, about 9.5" wide, 11" high, and 23" long.
The only good place I could find to mount it was between the chassis frame rails. Unlike taller basement model motorhomes, where it might fit in an exterior storage compartement, that's not happening on the LD (g).

all the best,

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 66310
Quote from: kirkjrk"

John K

Zen and the Art of Motorhome Leveling

First of all, nobody 'needs' automatic levelers, unless you're too decrepit to handle the blocks, in which case you maybe shouldn't be driving anyway.

They aren't going to walk the dog, keep you from getting up three times a night, improve your eyesight, or make you a better person.
They will level your rig. Period. They are very expensive and often difficult to install, but once on are generally reliable and low maintenance. Only you can decide whether it's worth it to give up the blocks and ramps for one-button leveling convenience.

Once on, you'll be glad you did it. If not, you probably won't ever miss them. Except maybe when it's cold, dark, rainy, and you're outside in the muck.
 There are three major suppliers; all have their pros and cons. You get the brochures, read the literature, and make your choice. Next you need someone to put them on. Don't go cheap on this. Get the best, most experienced installer you can find. A motor home chassis is chock full of stuff underneath and the shorter the chassis, the more the stuff is crammed together.  And the leveler installer is the last one in line to hang another item on under the chassis. If they provide the service, the best is probably the factory that made the unit. If you can't do that, ask the factory rep for an installer in your area; they work with these people and they tend to know who they feel comfortable with handling their product. Try to find someone who has actually worked on a Lazy Daze, and try for references.
 Cost of installing: probably best at the factory, but not the cheapest if it costs you a small fortune to drive there and back. Where  ever you end up try to negotiate a fixed price or an upper limit on shop hours and cost of any extra items needed for installation.

So go out into the woods, meditate, drink a little green tea, and you'll make the right choice for you. Maybe. I hope.

Will 2004 23.5 TK

PS Oh, to answer your questions, yes, and Bigfoot.

W.