Skip to main content
Topic: Cleaning oven (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Cleaning oven
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 64583
We have an air cookie sheet that we always use on the rack for even heating.  With that, we haven't really gotten the oven dirty, just the cookie sheet (and we bake quite a bit)

Kate

In Serenity/Cholula, the Red 30TB  . . . Want to find us? Click
below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 64585
We have an air cookie sheet that we always use on the rack for even heating.
What's an "air cookie sheet"? On my former LD, I'd baked a Black Russian cake for a Thanksgiving dinner last year, and it did not come out well... too done on the outside, not done in the middle. In a real oven at home it always turned out fabulously. I just attributed it to the uneven heating of a typical RV oven and vowed never to bake something like a cake or cookies in it again. Figured that's just the way it is... the way the cookie crumbles (as it were).
 Are you telling me I gave up too soon?... that it's possible to bake cakes & souflés, etc by using something called an air cookie sheet? More info please. And for that info, I'll trade you the recipe for the Black Russian Cake. yummmmmm.....

David

Re: Cleaning oven
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 64589
What does everyone use to clean their oven?

Beverly and Ross Cat's Meow Morro Bay, CA
Oven? Do you mean that cereal storage thing?

Mary

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 64591
David,
 Yep, you gave up too soon.  I had the same problems when we first got Serenity, but after talking to several people who like to cook as much as I do (Jonna and Andy

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Cleaning oven
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 64595
. . .  Oven? Do you mean that cereal storage thing?. . .
 Yeah, Mary - it comes in the LD as a matched set with the microwave! LOL,

Sarah

As promised: Black Russian Cake
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 64597
Now where's that recipe for the Black Russian cake??
Black Russian Cake

1 Duncan Hines Yellow Cake Mix 1  6 oz Instant Chocolate Pudding (5.7 is okay) 4 eggs 3/4 cup water 1/4 cup Kahlua 1/4 cup Vodka 1 cup cooking oil 1/2 cup sugar 2 TB good cocoa
 Mix all ingrediants together.  Beat about  2 minutes or until batter is smooth at medium speed. Pour into a large greased Bundt cake pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven 55-60 minutes.  Cool 10 minutes in pan. Then turn cake out of pan onto a plate.
 Mix 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1/4 cup Kahlua plus 2 TB cocoa to make the glaze.
Pour glaze over cake.  Enjoy!
 I guarantee you'll get raves over this. It is moist and very chocolatty!

David

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] As promised: Black Russian Cake
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 64598
David,
 Thanks!  I make something similar wit a chocolate cake mix in a bundt pan.  When warm (and still in the pan) you poke holes down into the cake then pour kahlua down into the cake.  Remove from the pan and sprinkle with powdered sugar and eat!

Yours sounds much richer, so it may have a place in my motorhome!

Thanks

Kate

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 64599
"What's an 'air cookie sheet'?"
 To be specific, Kate and I are talking about Wearever's AirBake double-layer cookie sheets. If you go to Amazon and search on 'airbake', you'll find them. Local stores have them too, but not always in the nonstick-coated 12" x 14" size that fits best in an RV oven. I had to buy a set of three (the 12" x 14" was the middle one).
 Like Kate, I love to bake, and with the AirBake sheet everything I've made has come out fine.
It also serves as a support for my silicone rubber bakeware--cake pan, loaf pan, casserole and muffin pan.

Andy Baird
Benson, AZ
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 64602
Thanks for the recipe, airbake, silicon cookware information and storage area; however, when a spill happens and you need to get off the baked on material, what do you use?  BTW, you can eliminate the water on the Black Russian Cake and increase the vodka and kaula and it turns out wonderful.

Beverly Cat's Meow Morro Bay, CA
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Cleaning oven
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 64604
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.  In my oven, the cookie sheet covers any spot that would spill, so I've never had to clean the oven floor.  I'll be looking for others to answer this so that when it comes up, I'll know how to clean it!

Kate

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 64612
"when a spill happens and you need to get off the baked on material, what do you use?"
 Anything that spills lands on the nonstick-coated AirBake sheet, so it's easy to wipe off. And since I don't cook big slabs of meat in my oven, nothing spatters...so the oven never needs cleaning. When I lived in a condo, the only two times I had to clean my oven in 18 years were when I moved in, and a few years later when an apple pie spilled over. After that, I used a cookie sheet on the bottom shelf, and in spite of all my baking, the oven stayed pristine until I sold the place.

Andy Baird
Benson, AZ
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Cleaning oven / Wearever AirBake cookie sheets
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 64620
"What's an 'air cookie sheet'?"

To be specific, Kate and I are talking about Wearever's AirBake
double-layer cookie sheets. If

you go to Amazon and search on 'airbake', you'll find them. Local
stores have them too, but

not always in the nonstick-coated 12" x 14" size that fits best in
an RV oven. I had to buy a

set of three (the 12" x 14" was the middle one).
[snip]

Andy Baird Benson, AZ
If, like me, you choose not to use non-stick cookwear, you can find the aluminum version of the set Andy described at:
 http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=sc_ri_1/602-5550499-7088611? %5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B000222C8O

or

http://tinyurl.com/ozdwd

Sharon N.