Skip to main content
Topic: Doorcurtain (Read 22 times) previous topic - next topic
Doorcurtain
Yahoo Message Number: 64538
LD comes with a pull-down curtain for the door.
 To pull it down you have to kind of search with your fingers in the blind for the metal bar at the bottom of the curtain, find a grip and pull it down.
It has a mechanism that to return it into its original stored position, you have to pull it slightly down and with rocketspeed it goes up. IF it goes up ! Because often it stagnates on the way up repeatedly.
After two weeks this curtain is already damaged. It ripped itself partly from the metal bar at the bottom and soon will be off completely.
And it has caused a pitiful contrast with an otherwise perfect motorhome.
Anyone having similar experiences with this door curtain ? Tioga George, still parked next to me while transformation works in my LD go on says: replace the things wth curtains like in front of the kitchen window !

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Doorcurtain
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 64539
We got this idea from a fellow LD.

We put a tension curtain rod right below the valance at the door, then put a chenille throw over the rod.  We stuff it up above the door during the day, then drop it at night.  It works well, looks really nice and provides more insulation than the pull down shade.

Any curtain or cloth would do.

Kate

Want to find us?  Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

Re: Doorcurtain
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 64540
Quote from: Michel Szulc-Krzyzanowski"

To pull it down you have to kind of search with your fingers in the blind for the metal bar at the bottom of the curtain, find a grip and pull it down. It has a mechanism that to return it into its original stored position, you have to pull it slightly down and with rocketspeed it goes up. IF it goes up ! Because often it stagnates on the way up repeatedly. After two weeks this curtain is already damaged. It ripped itself partly from the metal bar at the bottom and soon will be off completely. And it has caused a pitiful contrast with an otherwise perfect motorhome. Anyone having similar experiences with this door curtain ? Tioga George, still parked next to me while transformation works in my LD go on says: replace the things wth curtains like in front of the kitchen window !

Michel
 I'm on my second one. On a trip, the first was pulled down, and let go suddenly on its own with a loud WHAPP, rolling up completely and tearing itself apart in the process. At the time, my missus was standing in front of it, toweling off after a shower.
 It was under warranty and the factory sent a new one. It doesn't roll up evenly or smoothly, the edges fray, and basically the whole thing is a cheap piece of s__t. I only use it because I haven't decided on a suitable substitute.

Will

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 64541
LD comes w/ a window shade on the door.
You won't have to search for it if you don't let it go up in an uncontroled manner.  You hold onto it until it goes up as far as you want it, then you stop it.  If you let it go up by itself... Yes, it will go too far & it will likely tear.

Evelyn

"Michel Szulc-Krzyzanowski" wrote:

To pull it down you have to kind of search with your fingers in the
blind for the metal bar at

the bottom of the curtain, find a grip and pull it down.
It has a mechanism that to return it into its original stored
position, you have to pull it

slightly down and with rocketspeed it goes up. IF it goes up !
Because often it stagnates on

the way up repeatedly.
After two weeks this curtain is already damaged. It ripped itself
partly from the metal bar at

the bottom and soon will be off completely.
And it has caused a pitiful contrast with an otherwise perfect
motorhome.

Anyone having similar experiences with this door curtain ? Tioga George, still parked next to me while transformation works in
my LD go on says:

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Doorcurtain
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 64543
I hated that thing!  It also does not do what it would seem it's designed to do as you can see into the rig around it.
 I had curtains made for that area with a color I like on the outside and blackout cloth as a liner.  I also use the tension rod just under the valance to hang it.  It hangs down about half way on the door.  During the day I pull it to the side (away from the hinge) and tie it back.   It's a great improvement (now THIS would make my top 10 list!) as it completely blocks all viewing into the rig, it blocks all light going out so you can't see that there is a light on inside, and it is much more attractive than those old frumpy pull down shades.  BTW, I was very careful with my shade and I hardly ever used it since I had reflextix in the door window almost from the day we picked up the rig.  Even so, my shade was curling in from the edges and had some tears along it.  Michel, my recommendation is to find some tela you like and get a simple curtain made down there.
-- Jonna in Tortuga, 2001 Teal RB Find us MAPhttp://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=1013> Follow the BLOG herehttp://www.baddog.com/blog/blog.html>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 64545
The pull-down shade on our entry door ripped within the first two months.  Lazy Daze replaced it for free when we were there for another repair, but we have never used the new one.  I figured out a solution that has worked well for us.  I purchased one of those decorative flags that people hang outside of their homes and used Heat-N-Bond iron-on adhesive to turn the sides back and make it narrower.  Then I put velcro dots on the top two corners to attach the flag "curtain" just below the door valance.  We only put the curtain up when we need it at night.  We roll it up and store it in the space above the valance during the day.  I like that you can choose a flag to coordinate with your LD interior, and change flags with the seasons if you like.

Laurie

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 64546
wrote:
 I'm on my second one. On a trip, the first was pulled down, and let go suddenly on its own with a loud WHAPP, rolling up completely and tearing itself apart in the process. ..... It was under warranty and the factory sent a new one. It doesn't roll up evenly or smoothly, the edges fray, and basically the whole thing is a cheap piece of s__t. I only use it because I haven't decided on a suitable substitute.
---- Yep! That pretty much says it for me, too; I know that WHAAAP sound, and concur with your "quality review"! So far, the second shade has lasted OK because I am super-cautious with it; I don't want to pay LD's shipping charges for another one! Attaching a cut-to-fit window cover with velcro sounds like a good idea....

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 64550
Joan (and others),

You don't have to go to LD to get a new shade for the door.  I took the old curled, ripped one to Home Depot and they cut one to the same length.  It fit fine

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 64551
"Barry Barnes"  wrote: You don't have to go to LD to get a new shade for the door.  I took the old curled, ripped one to Home Depot and they cut one to the same length.  It fit fine in the existing brackets and has lasted for several years.
---- Barry, I tried that; Home Depot (two locations) was the first place I went when my shade ripped. Neither location would cut (and glue) a shade to fit the metal roller. (I said to just cut the thing and I would glue it on -- uh uh.) I went next to a local "shade shop"; they wouldn't do it either.  I tried to get a replacement (wooden, metal, whatever) roller cut and a shade attached; no luck.  At that point, I just said, the h--- with it and ordered one from LD.

I have no idea why this seemingly simple replacement was so hard to find, at least around here; others apparently haven't had the same experience.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 64553
I guess we must be one of the few people who do use our door shade.
 In the Twin/King, because of the placement of the door, one cannot see around the edges.  And, while *I* have a hard time getting the #&%@! shade up, Earl has absolutely no problem doing so.  So far, it's in one piece, and in as good a condition as the day we brought the LD home.

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK
See where we are: http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 64554
"I have no idea why this seemingly simple replacement was so hard to find..."

Joan
Joan and others...
 At the risk of dating myself, this is not new technology. The roll up shade has been around since I was a small boy or possibly before. (I did not pay much attention to things such as this in the '40s). You used to be able to have new ones made at most any Five & Dime store or your local hardware emporium.
 Why LD continues to use such an archaic device is way beyond me. There is certainly nothing nostolgic about it, in fact, is spells "cheap".
Although an opaque film would obscure one's view I am about to consider the same stuff I put on the shower stall window.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 64555
Although an opaque film would obscure one's view I am about to consider the same stuff I put on the shower stall window.
We too were tired of dealing with the door shade.  We really liked the "stained glass look" plastic panels that several Caravan Club members had custom made for their doors back a number of years ago.  But we didn't know of, or hear of, anyone that makes these currently.  One day at Home Depot we found rolls of opaque window film that adheres with just a film of water.  We cut a piece to fit the door window and installed it.  It has worked great for about six months so far.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Doorcurtain
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 64557
At 09:24 AM 3/25/2006, you wrote:

In the Twin/King, because of the placement of the door, one cannot see around the edges.  And, while *I* have a hard time getting the #&%@! shade up, Earl has absolutely no problem doing so.  So far, it's in one piece, and in as good a condition as the day we brought the LD home.
Our old 1980 RB had the notorious roller shade in the window, and when we sold it last year, it STILL had the original shade. As in your case, you couldn't see anything around the edge, even if you pressed your nose right up to the window. We used it only at night (or when one of us was less than presentable during morning ablutions).

The only problem we had was that the shade was mounted to the ceiling, not to the door, so if you did want to leave the LD when the shade was rolled down, it was a bit of a hassle.
 The side window roller shade finally gave up the ghost shortly before we sold the RV, and we found an instant replacement (ready-made) at Orchard Hardware.

Sonsie Conroy
2001 26.5 RK
Central CA

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 64558
[snip] "The only problem we had was that the shade was mounted to the ceiling, not to the door, so if you did want to leave the LD when the shade was rolled down, it was a bit of a hassle.[snip]"

Sonsie Conroy 2001 26.5 RK Central CA
This hits the nail on the head for my gripe with the shade. When it's time to take the dogs out at night, and the shade is down, you can't (easily) open the door, go out, and close the door, without a hassle.  You can roll up the shade, with the chance of that famous "THWAP!", or leave it down and try to sneak around it.  I gave up, rolled it up, and left it rolled up, frayed and cracking edges and all. If it had been mounted to the door, it would not have been a problem, but then the screen door wouldn't fit.

I chose to cut Reflectix to fit the window, bound the edges of the Reflectix with tape, and stuck it to the window frame with SuperLock tape. (See Andy's "Gertie" information on working with SuperLock.)

This has the advantage of providing privacy, some insulation, and lack of hassle.  The privacy issue is a big one for me while traveling by myself.  For others, it may not be a concern.  I considered the same translucent privacy film I used on the shower window, but felt the Reflectix would be a better solution for me.

If I had a say in the design of this door/window/window covering issue, I would use a vertical sliding screen door, mounted on the left side of the door opening, that would only be in the open position when the outside door is latched open.  For the window in the door, I would either eliminate the window and replace it with a one-way door viewer, or use a Pella-type insulated window that has an opening/closing shade or miniblind between the glass panels.

Sharon N.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 64561
"Barry Barnes"  wrote: That is strange, because in the New Braunfels Home Depot they have a special machine, something like a wood lathe to cut the shades down to size.
--- Apparently, Home Depot is more accommodating in New Braunfels than in San Jose! ;-) (And, I don't know that the local Home Depots have "shade roller cutters"; everything I saw was pre-cut and packaged.  Who knows?)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 64562
lejest2003  wrote: At the risk of dating myself, this is not new technology. The roll up shade has been around since I was a small boy or possibly before. (I did not pay much attention to things such as this in the '40s). You used to be able to have new ones made at most any Five & Dime store or your local hardware emporium.
----- Yes, pull shades have been around since the wheel! When I was very young, I had a great time "helping" my mother pull down the window shades every night.  Ours were the "blackout" kind (required when living on the west coast in that era) and had ring-shaped shade pulls with crocheted coverings! And, no, they didn't work any better then than they do now; my old Mama got plenty of opportunities to exercise her extensive vocabulary of cuss words! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 64578
"Apparently, Home Depot is more accommodating in New Braunfels than in San Jose! ;-) (And, I don't know that the local Home Depots have 'shade roller cutters;' everything I saw was pre- cut and packaged."
 For what it's worth, I've seen them in a number of Home Depots across the country. I think the San Jose store must be an anomaly.

Andy Baird
Benson, AZ
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

doorcurtain
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 64560
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AAYDT4/ref=pd_bbs_null_3/102-8405427-0086542?s=miscellaneous&v=glance&n=>

The above URL will take you to the Amazon page for a nice down throw.  I got one Sienna and one Basil.  Right now I am using them as (gasp) throws, but brain cells are rioting in attempts to figure out other uses.

Product isn't as puffy as it looks in the picture, but very cuddly.  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie On the road in - Eugene, Oregon

We put a tension curtain rod right below the valance at the door, then put a chenille throw over the rod.  We stuff it up above the door during the day, then drop it at night.  It works well, looks really nice and provides more insulation than the pull down shade.
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: doorcurtain
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 64563
Judie

As to door curtains . . .
 One of the main problems with curtains and such is the fact that the screen door is on the inside of the door, so anything attached to the door itself is kind of useless.  As I've said before, we use a drop down from a tension rod, maybe not to everybody's taste but we like it.  I've posted pictures here
 http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kkeight/album?.dir=5c5a

I think the microfiber throws would work great for this also

Kate

In Serenity/Cholula, the Red 30TB  . . . Want to find us? Click
below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 64570
I posted some pics of my curtains too.  I also replaced the venetian blinds (ugh) in the kitchen with tracked curtains backed by blackout cloth.  This shows the door and half the kitchen curtain closed:
 http://www.baddog.com/images/curtainclosed.jpg

and here it is with all of them open:
 http://www.baddog.com/images/curtainopen.jpg

I have a fabric tie for the door curtain but bought a beaded chain in Guatemala and I'm using that now.
 Sorry it's so dark, the camera didn't adjust well when pointed at the bright door.

-- Jonna in Tortuga, 2001 Teal RB Find us MAPhttp://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=1013> Follow the BLOG herehttp://www.baddog.com/blog/blog.html>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: doorcurtain
Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 64572

"As to door curtains . . . I've posted pictures here..."

Kate
Kate

Spotted your handicap grab rail in the photos of the door curtain (your welcome) but what about that wooden grab rail on the end of the couch??? Is that something the factory did, or what?? I don't have that!

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 64574
Steve

As I've said before, thanks so much for your suggestion of the handicap rail, we use it every day!

The grab rail at the end of the couch was designed and installed by Paul Grinde, the gentleman who does the drawer inserts at the Caravan Clubs.
 He also has designed a screen door handle that allows you to open the screen door without  opening the little sliding compartment.  It's very cool, and is also wonderful

Was Door Curtain, Now Wooden Couch Grab Rail
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 64616
Steve,

I just posted some more photos of the couch rail that you were inquiring about.  The pictures are in the photo section of the LD Enhancements Board under the album "**Serenity/Cholula the Red 30T" or you can go there directly here
 http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/LD_Enhancements/photos/browse/ 51a2 or here http://tinyurl.com/r5rva

Kate

In Serenity/Cholula, the Red 30TB  . . . Want to find us? Click
below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096 ___

Kate

Spotted your handicap grab rail in the photos of the door curtain (your welcome) but what about that wooden grab rail on the end of the couch??? Is that something the factory did, or what?? I don't have that!

Steve S.
Lazy Bones

Re: Was Door Curtain, Now Wooden Couch Grab Rail
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 64617
Steve,

I just posted some more photos of the couch rail that you were inquiring about.  The pictures are in the photo section of the LD Enhancements Board under the album "**Serenity/Cholula the Red 30T" or you can go there directly here
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/LD_Enhancements/photos/browse/

51a2 or here http://tinyurl.com/r5rva 
Kate
Kate, great photos and ideas!  Thanks for posting the link.

Sharon N.