Skip to main content
Topic: adding generator to older LD units ? (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
adding generator to older LD units ?
Yahoo Message Number: 64504
My husband and I are thinking of purchasing an older LD to use for tootling around. We aren't "stay in one spot" campers but enjoy traveling in an RV. We notice some of the older model LD's, especially the smaller units, are frequently noted as having no generator.
 Has anyone had the experience of adding a generator to an older unit and if so, what might be required?

My thanks,

Mary

Re: adding generator to older LD units ?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 64506
Has anyone had the experience of adding a generator to an older unit
and if so, what might be required?

Out of curiosity, what specifically to you see using your RV to do? Most of us w/o generators have modified our units and adapted our use habits to accomodate the lack. I can't recall more than maybe 10 minutes out of the last 13 years with ours that I've wished one was available. As with most things in life, there are other - often better - ways.

Downsides of owning a generator built-in:

- They HAVE to be used regularly to avoid problems.

- They require a regular maintenance schedule, with the cost and inconvenience that brings.

- They reduce both available payload and storage room.

- They use a resource - either gas or propane - that you need for other purposes.

- They do what they do noisily, with vibration, and with noxious gasses, to at least some degree.

Most of the alternatives, such as solar power, have none of those disadvantages, but your use is the key:

- If you intend to mostly do big tailgate parties that might last several days and involve a lot of air conditioner and/or microwave use, then the generator is custom intended for you.
 - If you head out in August for your big vacation with the kids, then it is a REALLY nice option to have one.

- Etc....

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 64508
"aq433"  wrote: Out of curiosity, what specifically to you see using your RV to do? Most of us w/o generators have modified our units and adapted our use habits to accomodate the lack. I can't recall more than maybe 10 minutes out of the last 13 years with ours that I've wished one was available. As with most things in life, there are other - often better - ways.
---- While each person's "power requirements" are unique, Steve's points on an onboard generator are right on, IMO.  I have used the generator (in my 2003) *once* in 2 1/2 years (besides exercising it), and would have opted out of having one at all if that had been possible when I ordered the LD.
 Rather than going to the expense and hassle of installing an onboard generator, perhaps a "portable" type, e.g., a Honda, would work if you feel that you really need one and have a place to carry it!?

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 64509
My husband and I are thinking of purchasing an older LD to use for tootling
around. We aren't "stay in one spot" campers but enjoy traveling in an RV. We notice some of the older model LD's, especially the smaller units, are frequently noted as having no generator.

Has anyone had the experience of adding a generator to an older unit and if
so, what might be required?
 I have one of those older, smaller rigs without a generator, and frankly I have no idea what I'd use it for. So I hope you won't take offense if I suggest that you consider whether you really want one.
 Every apparent convenience comes with a price that's not just financial, but also a mental burden -- care and feeding of appliances, installation, etc.
Options like generators and toads can be handy, but notice how many posts are related to the inroads they cut into many RVers' goal of being footloose and fancy-free. I travel on the KISS principle, myself.
 Unless you have your heart set on some long-term boondocking (and maybe even if you do), you might want to think twice about needing a gen. Certainly the price of it can buy quite a few nights in campgrounds with hookups.

Joanne in Boston 1994 teal TK NE-44

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 64511
My husband and I are thinking of purchasing an older LD to use for tootling around. We aren't "stay in one spot" campers but enjoy traveling in an RV. We notice some of the older model LD's, especially the smaller units, are frequently noted as having no generator.
Has anyone had the experience of adding a generator to an older unit and if so, what might be required? My thanks, Mary
Hi Mary
 Your plans for using an RV pretty much mirrors our own use, and while we have a generator, we certainly don't use it all that much, and usually not at all on most trips. It's sort of handy and nice to have if one is not hooked up to a utility pedestal and one wants to run the air conditioner, microwave, or use an appliance on one of the 110V outlets.
Beyond that, if we didn't have it, I can't see where we'd miss it all that much.

Will 2004 23.5 TK

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 64514
Has anyone had the experience of adding a generator to an older unit and if so, what might be required?

While our LD does have a generator which we DO use, I'm with the others:  If you feel you must have a generator, get a portable one (either a Honda or Yamaha).  It will be much less expensive than trying to install a permanently mounted one...and much more quiet, too.

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK
See where we are: http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Re: adding generator to older LD units ? Generators can be usef
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 64522
Has anyone had the experience of adding a generator to an older
unit and if so, what might be required?

I think that at one time the generator was an option.
Why did LD decide to make it standard equipment? My guess would be that they got tired of people ordering without the generator and then later adding the generator while the RV was in production.  Adding a generator has been discussed previously, I do not recall anyone telling about how they actually added a generator.

What you need is:

1) A compartment for the generator
2) A way to physically mount/attach it
3) Gasoline feed from gas tank
4) Safe exhaust route
5) Electrical wiring (and transfer)
6) Remote control panel

Onan publishes installation guidelines for each model generator.

I do not know to what extent units without the generator were  made "generator ready."  I suspect that a storage compartment may  have replaced the space where a generator would have gone.  My guess  would be that the storage compartment may not be adequately strong to  hold an operating generator.

I, for one, am glad to have the convenience of a generator.
 Here is what we use it for:  
1) Microwave cooking.  If you like to travel and see various  attractions, you probably do not want to spend a long time cooking.
 If you do a lot of microwave cooking at home, you would probably want  to on the road also.  We figure that the short time we use the  generator while cooking is a brief noise bother to our neighbors.
 If you boondock or stay in state parks without electric hookup, a  generator comes in handy.

2) Supplemental cooling while travelling.  My wife and daughter ride  in the back of the LD.  If you are sitting in the driver or shotgun  passenger seat with the dash air blowing on you it is not bad.  But  if you are in the back with those big windows while you are going  through the desert in the summertime, you are going to want to run  the generator and the roof air conditioner. You probably could not  use one of those portable Honda generators in this way.
   I do not recall that we have used the generator for a long periods of  time for cooling while parked.  We have not attemped to sleep while  the generator was running.  If it is very hot we usually look for a  campground with electricty.  NOTE: In places where RVs are parked  close together without electric hookup, it can be dangerous to run  the generator long term. Carbon Monoxide poisening can result from  you neighbor's generator.

3) Tire inflation.  I carry a 110 vac compressor and routinely use
 it. If I ever have a flat, I'll bet the spare will need air.  How many of you regularly check the inflation pressure in your spare?

Ken in San Diego

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: adding generator to older LD uni
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 64531
Along this line, while in most circumstances, I can see working around not having a generator, what about when it's HOT? Or, when it's cloudy and your solar doesn't equal out your power useage?
 Me, I'm addicted to "moving air" be it a fan or when over 85 outside [which usually translates to hotter inside], thus the air conditioner.

I also like to use my micro--while I do cook, I like the ease of re-heating, or warming something up over using the stove. There are other issues, but most *can* be figured out without the genset. But the above--well, that's why I love having the generator along for the ride. grin!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 64532
Mary,

I also never travel without a generator, and we use it frequently.
We have an older LD (84) and carry a portable generator with us, as our LD was not made with a generator compartment. My preferred method of transporting the generator can be seen at this website:

http://www.stowaway2.com/

These are the best-looking rear mounted cargo carriers that I have seen. I think their shape compliments the LD nicely. Of course, this setup would be cheaper/simpler than adding a gen compartment to the LD, but would not allow running the gen while driving.
 I recently asked an RV shop that we use here in TN if addition of an on-board gen was possible for a unit that wasn't built with one.
They said it can be done, but I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap. They seemed willing to consider doing it, they certainly didn't seem intimidated/uninterested by the suggestion. I can give you their name/number if you want. They are in the Nashville area.

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: adding generator to older LD uni
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 64556
One thing that I find interesting about generators is that many Motorhomes have them while most travel trailers don't. I find that the time I most want a generator is in a travel trailer when I just stop somewhere during the day for lunch or rest. And in that case the travel trailers need it more than the Motorhome. The travel trailer is tagging along in the sun more or less all shut up and hot when you stop. The motor home has been cooled while driving by the dash air and isn't near as hot when just stopping during the day travels for lunch or rest. I don't have a generator in my little motor home and carried a portable one for 3000 miles on a trip last fall. It was never started, I doubt if it goes with me next time.
 I have carried one in the bed of my truck when pulling a TT and did often start it up at lunch.
 The biggest problem with the portables is the worry about theft, at least to me.

Garry..