Skip to main content
Topic: from the 2006 Honda CRV Owner's Manual (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
from the 2006 Honda CRV Owner's Manual
Yahoo Message Number: 64417
Towing your Vehicle Behind a Motorhome

page 177:
 Your vehicle can be towed behind a motorhome at legal highway speeds up to 65 mph (100 km/h). Do not exceed 65 mph (100 km/h). Otherwise, severe transmission damage will occur. To avoid damage to the 4WD system, your vehicle must be towed with all four wheels on the ground (flat towing).
 When purchasing a tow bar, make sure you select a reputable manufacturer and installer.
Follow the manufacturer's attachment instructions carefully.
 Perform the following procedure every day immediately before you begin towing.
Otherwise severe automatic transmission damage will occur.

On models with automatic transmission: * Check the transmission fluid level (see page 199). Do not overfill.
* Start the engine.
* Press on the brake pedal. Move the shift lever through all its positions.
* Shift to D, then to N. Let the engine run for 3 minutes, then turn it off.
* Release the parking brake.
* Leave the ignition switch in the ACCESSORY (I) position so the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any other items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery.
 When you stop towing your vehicle and shift out of the neutral position, you may not be able to move shift lever from neutral to reverse or Park. If this happens, press the brake pedal and turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position, then shift out of neutral.

On models with manual transmission: * Check the transmission fluid level (see page 200). Do not overfill.
* Release the parking brake.
* Shift to neutral.
* Leave the ignition switch in the ACCESSORY (I) position so the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery.

page 178:

NOTICE The steering system can be damaged if the steering wheel is locked. Leave the ignition switch in the ACCESSORY (I) position, and make sure the steering wheel turns freely before you begin towing.

Extended Towing If you tow more than 8 hours in one day, you should repeat the above procedure at least every 8 hours (when you stop for fuel, etc.)

NOTICE Failure to follow the recommended instructions exactly will result in severe automatic transmission damage. If you cannot shift the transmission or start the engine, your vehicle must be transported on a flat-bed truck or trailer.

Automatic Transmission Extended Towing When towing your vehicle for long periods, remove the 15A Front Accessory Power Socket fuse to reduce drain on battery. This fuse is located in the interior fuse box and is shown as number 18 below.

(pic of interior fuse box)
 Only remove the fuse after you have performed the transmission shifting procedure, and the key is in the ACCESSORY (I) position. Store the fuse in an obvious location (center tray, coin pockets, etc) as a reminder to re-install the fuse before driving the vehicle.

NOTICE This fuse MUST be re-installed before driving the vehicle. Failure to re-install the fuse may allow you to remove the key with the transmission in gear.

NOTICE Severe automatic transmission damage will occur if the vehicle is shifted from reverse to neutral and then towed with the drive wheels on the ground.

(That, I think is the single most important point. -DCW)
 If you tow a CR-V with an automatic transmission, the transmission fluid must be changed every two years or 30,000 miles (48,000 km), whichever comes first.

There you have it folks, straight from Honda. The CR-V is towable 4 down. Just follow the directions!

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV]Was CRV - Just follow the directions!
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 64419
That would mean we would have to pick up the book and read it!  Why would a person ever think of doing such a thing (;))

Re: from the 2006 Honda CRV Owner's Manual
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 64443
Just a FYI:  Other years, (i.e., my 2003 manual) has a slightly different procedure recorded.  If you intend on towing a Honda CRV, make sure you check the manual for your year.

Kathi

WAS from the 2006 Honda CRV Owner's Manual IS: Where I went wrong
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 64475
I've been following the advice that when you find yourself in a hole... stop digging.  I thought we had a Honda w/ CRV transmission.  Duh.... it was a CVT tranny!  The CVT tranny is not towable 4 down!  It's a letters thing. Too many letters whirling round in my head for me to deal w/ when I'm stressed! Sorry.
Evelyn

David Walker wrote:

Re: WAS from the 2006 Honda CRV Owner's Manual IS: Where I went wro
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 64476
Too many letters whirling round in my head for me to deal w/ when I'm stressed!
s'OK, Evelyn.  :-)

- David