Skip to main content
Topic: caravan type club (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
caravan type club
Yahoo Message Number: 64389
Is there a caravan type club for second, third and fourth owners.  If not, I would be willing to start one. (no first owners welcome)

LazyDaze_77

Relax. Yahoo! Mail virus scanning helps detect nasty viruses!

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: caravan type club
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 64392
Is there a caravan type club for second, third and fourth owners.
If not, I would be willing to start one. (no first owners welcome)

LazyDaze_77
Howard, below are links to the Northeast and South Central LD groups, both of which are open to any owners of LDs (I believe).  There is also one in the SE whose link I don't have.  Other than these regional LD groups, I don't believe there is any special group for non-first owners.  Where do you live?  You may be close to one of these groups.

Chris Horst

Denver - 2002 30' IB

http://home.nctv.com/ld/ http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/nelazydazers/
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 64395
Is there a caravan type club for second, third and fourth owners.  If not, I
would be willing to start one. (no first owners welcome)

Here's the link to the Southeast group's Yahoo discussion board.
 http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/se_lazy_dazers/

Here's a handy list of other regional and special-interest groups, some with links, on the Caravan group's page called "Related Groups of Interest."
 http://www.lazydazecaravanclub.org/html/links.html

According to the registration forms for the Golden Caravan, there are also a dozen groups with names like Backscratchers, Bunwarmers, Drifters, Renegades . . . I'm looking forward to meeting them in Cheyenne!
 The Caravan group is limited to first-owners  in order to keep the membership numbers down to a manageable size for gatherings. As far as I know, all the other groups are open to all owners.  I don't think I'd be interested in a group that excluded first-owners; I've met some of them, and they seem to be nice people.

Joanne in Boston Fourth owner of a 1994 teal TK NE-44

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 64397
Joan, The Backscrachers, Bunwarmers etc, are subgroups of the SoCal Caravan Club (origional owners) but many of us also belong to other regional Caravan groups. Because of the large size of their GTG we break down into smaller groups for campfire socializing but all are welcome to join any of the dozen or so subgroups or just be an "at large" member.
John '04 23.5FL Backscracher

According to the registration forms for the Golden Caravan, there
are also a

dozen groups with names like Backscratchers, Bunwarmers, Drifters, Renegades . . . I'm looking forward to meeting them in Cheyenne!

The Caravan group is limited to first-owners  in order to keep the membership numbers down to a manageable size for gatherings. As far as I
know, all the

other groups are open to all owners.  I don't think I'd be
interested in a group

that excluded first-owners; I've met some of them, and they seem
to be nice

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 64406
Is there a caravan type club for second, third and fourth owners.  If not, I would be willing to start one. (no first owners welcome)

As you have been told, there are several regional clubs which EVERYONE is welcome to join -- EVEN *first* owners!!!
 The Caravan Club does not exclude second, third, etc., owners because they're being snobbish.  It is done strictly because of the size of the group.  As it is, there are usually between 120-140 rigs that show up for the Caravan Club GTGs (too large for us...there was no way we could get around and meet everyone at the one Caravan Club GTG we've attended).  If they allowed everyone who owned a Lazy Daze to come, you'd end up with a Golden Caravan-sized GTG...way too large a group for most RV parks, and an unwieldy number for the monthly GTGs.

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK
See where we are: http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: caravan type club
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 64678
Joanne0012,
 Thank you for your reply to my inquiry about starting a caravan type club.  Since I live in the far Southwest, I am excluded from joining the caravan club.  I don't care about the reason.  The bottom line is that I am excluded from membership.
 I checked out the links you provided, but did not not find any clubs listed in the Southwest.  I will drop the idea.

Howard

New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC for low, low rates.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 64679
Howard,

We are currently traveling (extended) in the Southwest, and we seem to meet LD people everywhere! If you're anywhere near Benson, lets try to get together, you are welcome to come see us!

Kate and Terry

In Serenity/Cholula, the Red 30TB  . . . Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: caravan type club
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 64680
Thank you for your reply to my inquiry about starting a caravan type
club.  Since I live in the far Southwest, I am excluded from joining the caravan club.  I don't care about the reason.  The bottom line is that I am excluded from membership.

I'm not sure how you think your location plays into your exclusion, but the key is that it is not the members of the caravan club who have excluded you or me - it is Lazy Daze. Whatever their reason.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 64681
I was not aware that "Lazy Daze" the company, controls membership in any caravan club.
How does that happen?  Do they own the club?   Someone please expand on this issue.
Gary G.
Deja Blue's Driver

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 64683
Thank you for your reply to my inquiry about starting a caravan type
club.  Since I live in the far Southwest, I am excluded from joining the caravan club.  I don't care about the reason.  The bottom line is that I am excluded from membership.

I checked out the links you provided, but did not not find any clubs
listed in the Southwest.  I will drop the idea.

The sister group to this one ("LoveMyLazyDazeRV") was intended to function in this capacity.  But that group has gone completely dead.
Part of the reason may be that it is a private club that people had a hard time finding out about and getting joined.  It has been suggested several times that people could organize trips on this list, but I have rarely seen that happen in nearly 5 years.  For trips to happen, someone has to step up to the plate and get things going.  I'd think that if someone did, they would get some takers.  There is no reason that a southwest group for owners of used rigs can't be formed.  The original Caravan Club will even work with one.

Art

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 64686
I was not aware that "Lazy Daze" the company, controls membership in any caravan club.
How does that happen?  Do they own the club?  Someone please expand
on this

issue.
While they are now separate legal entities, the Caravan Club got started back in 1956 when Lazy Daze was an even smaller company.  The owners at that time, Paul Newton and Harold Hamm, started traveling together with friends to campouts.  They decided to form a club, which is now the second oldest RV club after Airstream.  At that time the club was essentially controled by Lazy Daze and the first time owners rule was in place from the beginning. Many years later, for a number of reasons, the Caravan Club was separated into a distinct legal entity.  But the first time owners requirement has remained, and is now a neccesity because of the size of campgrounds that need to be contracted a year or more in advance.  Campouts in the past have reached over 300 rigs, a serious planning problem for something that happens nine times a year and is basically all volunteer work.

Art
Art and Barbara
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 64687
"The bottom line is that I am excluded from membership."
 Howard, may I make a suggestion? In this website's Files section (see links at left) there's a Frequently Asked Questions folder, and in it there's an explanation of the factory Caravan Club situation. Please take a look at that. Believe me, there is no reason to feel snubbed; nobody is turning up their nose at you (or at me, the third owner of a 1985 LD). :-)
 "I checked out the links you provided, but did not not find any clubs listed in the Southwest. I will drop the idea."
 Oh, I hope not! You have the ideal region in which to organize a group, because for obvious reasons LDs are more common here in the southwest than anywhere else--yes, second, third and fourth owners too. The factory's Caravan Club takes care of original owners, but that leaves a lot of folks with no group to join.
 All the regional groups, such as the Northeastern group I enjoyed so much when I lived in that area, were started by folks like you who saw a need and filled it. It doesn't have to be a big, fancy, highly organized affair. Just post a message here saying "If anybody in the southwest is interested in joining a caravan club, contact me." Then you agree on a place to meet, set a date and you're off and running.
 If you'll just take that first step, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people eager to join. Give it a try!

Andy Baird
Benson, AZ
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 64689

LazyDaze_77
Howard,

I hope that you will start a new SW LD group and admit everyone who shares our passion. I am a member of the Northeast Chapter and an original owner. I have attended two rallies and had a wonderful time.

Wintering in Florida, I just attended my first rally with the newly formed Southeast Chapter and had a wonderful time. The rally was that chapter's second and the people are wonderful. Lots of doggies too!
 Please don't focus on the exclusionary nature of the Caravan Club but start your own chapter and welcome any and all LD owners. It's the LD thing to do.
 Good luck. And by the way anyone is very welcome to rally with the NE or SE chapters, original owner or not.

Paul
NE 50

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 64691
Hi Howard,

I am the financial secretary, etc., etc., of the Northern Exposure of Lazy Daze group.   Our membership includes ALL L.D. owners, with most of our membership living in No. CA and No. NV.  We travel anywhere from Central CA to  Central OR for our rallies.  We are a very active group, with 65 rigs on the roster.

There is also the Lazy Daze Northwestern group, head-quartered in Bend, OR.   Their membership includes folks from WA, OR, ID, etc.  From time to time, these two groups get together for rallies.

The factory automatically sends the Caravan Club newsletter to all new first time owners for about a year.  If you contact either the factory or Rosemary Webb you should be able to get the mailing addresses for all first time owners in your area.   Other than that, try posting a note that will "invite" all Southwest L.D. to join a new group.

If you wish to pursue this, I will be glad to provide info for getting a group started.

Juli Wilson
Juli W.
Former owner 1994 mid bath,  2006 26.5'rear bath

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 64692
Quote from: Howard Hoyt

Is there a caravan type club for second, third and fourth
owners.

LazyDaze_77
Hello Howard: I just got the new Southeast LD Club started. On 01/01/06 we had zero members. Now we have over 30 and that's in LD "starved" areas like AL, FL, GA.SC & NC. Some of our members had never seen another LD anywhere in the SE until out first rally in January of this year.
In the Southwest I would imagine a hundred members would be attainable in a years time.
Paul Woods group, the NE Group, has over fifty members. As Paul noted, he was at out recent GTG.
Our membership requirments are minimal. Own an LD. That's it. No rules, no membership fees, no meetings, no officers. Just folks looking to have a good time with other nice people.
I'll be glad to tell you how I got the ball rolling if you're interested. It was great fun.
Send me a PM.

Ed
SE1

Her's our Yahoo site.
 http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/se_lazy_dazers/

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 64694

LazyDaze_77

Howard,
I live in Scottsdale and would like to see a Southwest LD group become a reality.  I would be willing to assist you if you decide to proceed with establishing a group or if you are not interested I am willing to do it alone or with anyone else who may be interested.  I do have strong feelings that such a group should be inclusive of any LD owner be it first time, as we will be in late April, or the 10th owner and should include visiting LDers and the dogs, cats, pet snakes, fish, birds, etc. of  all such owners.  What fun we could have getting together in this wonderful part of the country!  Let me know if you would like some assistance.  If I don't hear from anyone I will commit to starting a Southwest group by next fall (maybe earlier but at the moment overwhelmed with learning "how to" on this new adventure).

Jane April to be fist time LD/RVers

Relax. Yahoo! Mail virus scanning helps detect nasty viruses!

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 64695
Hi Jane
 WE live in Monument, Colorado, near the Air Force Academy.  Have a 30  foot IB and love it. We are in Florida now, but would be happy to know  you.  We sometimes travel through that part of the country.
 Good luck, it is fun getting together with other owners and "comparing notes". We have had no problems with our LD....none at all....except for a  couple we caused like dings and scratches.

It works just fine....all systems are go.

Jane in Florida for the winter.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 64696
Howard and Jane:

Count me in!  My wife and I would love to see a SW LD group and would be glad to help it get going.  We belong to FMCA and Elks RV groups now, but, isn't that what RVin' is all about.  Getting together with folks with common interests.

You can e-mail me off forum at c2nme at commspeed dot net.

John in Prescott, AZ 2005  30' IB  Teal

Howard,

I live in Scottsdale and would like to see a Southwest LD group become a reality.  I would be willing to assist you if you decide to proceed with establishing a group or if you are not interested I am willing to do it alone or with anyone else who may be interested.
I do have strong feelings that such a group should be inclusive of any LD owner be it first time, as we will be in late April, or the 10th owner and should include visiting LDers and the dogs, cats, pet snakes, fish, birds, etc. of  all such owners.  What fun we could have getting together in this wonderful part of the country!  Let me know if you would like some assistance.  If I don't hear from anyone I will commit to starting a Southwest group by next fall (maybe earlier but at the moment overwhelmed with learning "how to" on this

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 64697
..., the NE Group, has over fifty members. As Paul noted, he was at out recent GTG.
Our membership requirments are minimal. Own an LD. That's it. No rules, no membership fees, no meetings, no officers. Just folks looking to have a good time with other nice people.
The Northeast group follows the same (dis)organizational model as the Southeast.  One person has volunteered to place the nametag orders, others volunteer for whatever's needed, from tracking potluck plans to putting together a handbook of member names and faces, to choosing campgrounds for the caravanning trek to Cheyenne. Those Northern Exposure folks are pretty fancy, having a financial secretary!

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 64698
Thanks Howard for your question.  Looks like we are seeing the birth of a Southwest Lazy Dazy Club with the responses from John

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 64699
Is it reasonable to think that such a club should cover CO, NM, UT, AZ?
You ought to name it the "Four Corners LD Club"!

Art
Art and Barbara
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 64700
You might find some interested folks
Juli W.
Former owner 1994 mid bath,  2006 26.5'rear bath

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 64702
Is it reasonable to think that

such a club should cover CO, NM, UT, AZ?  Are some of these areas already covered?

Well, Colorado and New Mexico are already counted as part of the South Central group, but that doesn't mean they can't be considered part of a Southwest group.  I'd think Nevada and southern California could also be included since the Northern Exposure group is for owners in central and northern California.
 But, why limit it?  We're residents of South Dakota, and we belong to the Northwest group!  We'd probably also join a Southwestern group since we spend the winters in Arizona.  Who ever wants to organize a GTG down here in the southwest could just post the information here...much like was done at the setup of the Southeastern group.

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK
See where we are: http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton