Skip to main content
Topic: Pro-Fill word of caution (Read 17 times) previous topic - next topic
Pro-Fill word of caution
Yahoo Message Number: 64366
I love the Pro-Fill, had one on my former LD and now on the new one. But don't make the mistake I did when I stored the hose with the bulb in the battery compartment... laying coiled up on top of the batteries. There is one little plastic connector at the end of the hose that was literally dissolved by the battery gases. That was the only part affected... the hoses were fine, but I had to buy the whole bulb kit again. There's something in that plastic connector that is vulnerable to battery gas. So... store the bulb/hose half of the Pro-Fill in another storage compartment.

David

Was: Pro-Fill caution, now: Pro Fill question
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 64401
David - thanks for the warning, but/and that leads me to a question.
 Has anyone had any problem with thinking the battery didn't need any water, but it did? I don't use the thing. It's Pete's job, but he checks it about every month, and saw that it didn't need any water, or so he thought. Then while we were down in Mexico, we saw that the batteries weren't holding a charge, and suspected battery water.

At first, it appeared (by feeling the bulb, I think) he thought it wouldn't take any water, but upon fiddling with the thing for awhile, it took a whole BUNCH of water. What's with that? Our technique?

Sarah Albuquerque

Re: Was: Pro-Fill caution, now: Pro Fill question
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 64408
At first, it appeared (by feeling the bulb, I think) he thought it wouldn't take any water, but upon fiddling with the thing for awhile, it took a whole BUNCH of water. What's with that? Our technique?

Sarah Albuquerque
Hi Sarah and Pete - looking forward to meeting you in Laramie.

The bulb has a bit of resistance at first.  Do not be afraid of squeezing it too hard - when all the cells are full the resistance to more is quite noticeable.  Believe me, after reaching into battery compartments with a filler bulb for thirty-some years, this gaget is a god-send.

Take care

Gus Weber

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 64411
Sarah Blackwood  wrote: At first, it appeared (by feeling the bulb, I think) he thought it wouldn't take any water, but upon fiddling with the thing for awhile, it took a whole BUNCH of water. What's with that? Our technique? ---- Sarah, I pump distilled water out of a gallon jug (through the Pro-Fill lines into the battery cells.) If I put the jug on the RV step and hold the pump line/bulb *at a level lower than the battery top*, the amount of "fill" is inaccurate.  In other words, the bulb becomes very difficult to squeeze before the cells are watered.  Now I put the jug on top of the garbage can (any surface above the level of the batter would do as well, I'm sure ), and also hold the filler tube and bulb above the level of the battery top when filling; this works for me.
 Gravity, pressure, whatever - I'll bet a physics major will explain. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Was: Pro-Fill caution, now: Pro
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 64421
Jeez you guys! I'd almost talked Mimi into getting this and giving up her dentist mirror and turkey baster and now you make it sound like a bigger hassle than the way she's doing it.  She really doesn't mind doing it her way and if we have to store more stuff and she has to hold it all up in the air to use it... are you sure this is an improvement?
 Now I'm thinking I'd want her to check it with the dental mirror even if we got the pump.  But, can you still see into the cell to check?  Or is it closed off by these caps and you can't easily look in?

I think I just saved a bunch of money.

-- Jonna in Tortuga, 2001 Teal RB Find us MAPhttp://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=1013> Follow the BLOG herehttp://www.baddog.com/blog/blog.html>

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Was: Pro-Fill caution, now: Pro Fill
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 64429
Jeez you guys! I'd almost talked Mimi into getting this and giving
up her

dentist mirror and turkey baster and now you make it sound like a bigger hassle than the way she's doing it.
No, Jonna, go ahead and buy it!  It will be one of the best purchases you ever made, honest!

Now I'm thinking I'd want her to check it with the dental mirror
even if we

got the pump.  But, can you still see into the cell to check?  Or is it closed off by these caps and you can't easily look in?
You can't look into the cells after the ProFill is installed (w/o removing it, which is easy but unnecessary).  I fill my battery using a one quart plastic bottle, sitting on the ground.  It is extreeeeeeemly easy to squeeze the bulb while the battery is taking water and nearly impossible to squeeze it once the cells are full.
And, they all fill to the exact same and correct level.  Buy it for Mimi!

Tom Riley
'04 26 RB

Fort Bragg, CA

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 64433
Joan,
 I also pump distilled water out of a gallon jug with the Pro-Fill.  I leave the gallon jug on the ground and have had no problem.  As has been mentioned, the bulb can be stiff and somewhat hard to compress when pumping, but becomes rock hard when the cells are full.  Don't hesitate to push very hard on it to be sure it is actually full.
 If the bulb pump is working properly, check valves should allow water to be pumped uphill.  If your system will not pump uphill, I would check with the Pro-Fill people.  It may be defective.

JMHO

Barry (Physicist )

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Was: Pro-Fill caution, now: Pro Fill
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 64437
Jonna,

Don't hesitate buying the Pro-Fill.

I consider it to be the second best improvement I have made

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 64438
wrote: If the bulb pump is working properly, check valves should allow water to be pumped uphill.  If your system will not pump uphill, I would check with the Pro-Fill people.  It may be defective.
--- It's more likely that *I'm* the defective component; a while back, I had surgery on it, and it hasn't recovered strength.  It's a lot harder to get those beer bottle caps off, too! Guess I'll have to see if the left hand will work for these all-important tasks! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 64439
FWIW: a column of water is about 1/2 psi per foot of elevation so a few feet wont make much difference

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Was: Pro-Fill caution, now: Pro
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 64441
Well, I think it is a lost cause.  I showed her this thread and she said she told me not to spend the money, she doesn't think her method is a hassle.
So...
 The other thing Barry, you said it was the second best improvement after the better mirrors.   We got those this last summer and she's not really thrilled with them either.  I don't like that they rattle, the old ones never rattled.  But for her as the driver the new ones don't show her much more on the bottom and less on the top.  It's funny, not all improvements seem like improvements to everyone.  I think if we still had them she would put the old mirrors back on.
 I have a long list of stuff I want to buy for Tortuga when we get back to the US so I won't have any problem finding something else to do with the money.  First off will be new shades, I've never liked the factory shades and saw an LD in Albuquerque with up/down light block shades from Hunter Douglas and I'm going to get all the shades replaced with those.  I already took out the venetian blinds that I really hated in the kitchen.  I have curtains now backed with black out cloth that slide across and velcro together.  I also got a similar curtain made for the door window, it ties back and gives me complete sun/view block.  I finally, after 4 years, could take the reflextix out of the door window.  Once we get the new shades we won't have to carry and use those pop out windshield blockers that we now put in all the windows at night.  I'm really picky about no one being able to see in or even see light or shadows in our rig at night.
 We're also thinking about replacing the carpet and linoleum with a pergo type flooring.  What we don't know is what to do with the doghouse and cab carpeting.  Any ideas?

-- Jonna in Tortuga, 2001 Teal RB Find us MAPhttp://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=1013> Follow the BLOG herehttp://www.baddog.com/blog/blog.html>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Was: Pro-Fill question, now mirrors
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 64457
wrote: The other thing Barry, you said it was the second best improvement after the better mirrors.   We got those this last summer and she's not really thrilled with them either.  I don't like that they rattle, the old ones never rattled.  But for her as the driver the new ones don't show her much more on the bottom and less on the top.  It's funny, not all improvements seem like improvements to everyone.  I think if we still had them she would put the old mirrors back on.

----- I've heard of a few people's Velvacs "rattling", and this *may* be because the replacement bushing (supplied with the Velvacs) was used when the mirrors were installed.  I used the original brass collar bushing from the LD mirrors when I put the Velvacs on; the original bushing is just enough larger/thicker (than the one that comes with the larger mirrors) to ensure a tight fit. I still have the original mirrors from my 2003; ¡te doy buena ganga si los quieres!  I don't know if you could get the thicker bushing from Velvac or another source; maybe someone has a suggestion.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 64459
I used the original brass collar bushing from the LD mirrors when I put the Velvacs on...
I did the same... kept the original bushings on both the first LD and now on the new one, and I've never had a rattling problem.
 I would concur that the upgraded Velvac mirrors and the Pro-Fill battery kit are two out of three of the best things I ever bought for the LD. However, I would place the GPS unit at the top of the list: absolutely the single most helpful gadget since computers & cell phones. Yes, I know there are "flat-earthers" out there who can't imagine taking directions from a digital voice prompt, but "Gypsy" has saved my a-- on so many occasions when visual signpost driving was impossible (fog, darkness, complexity, etc). I can't imagine being without her.

Isn't this a great time we're living in? All these incredible toys!

- David

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Was: Pro-Fill question, now mirr
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 64467
Interesting about the bushings Joan.  Mimi says she used one of the old ones but on the other side but on MY side it didn't fit right and she used the new one.  It's a loud rattle but mainly noticeable if I have the window down.  I was wrong, she says she does have the originals in our storage in Cathedral City and she will try changing the bushings again when we get back.  Gracias por la oferta, hace los viejos almacenar.

----- I've heard of a few people's Velvacs "rattling", and this *may* be because the replacement bushing (supplied with the Velvacs) was used when the mirrors were installed.  I used the original brass collar bushing from the LD mirrors when I put the Velvacs on; the original bushing is just enough larger/thicker (than the one that comes with the larger mirrors) to ensure a tight fit. I still have the original mirrors from my 2003; ¡te doy buena ganga si los quieres!  I don't know if you could get the thicker bushing from Velvac or another source; maybe someone has a suggestion.

Joan

mirrors
Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 64477
Hey.... I'm a member of the flat earth society!  I love my laptop navigator giving me directions!  I love it even more now that I've figured out that there's a command (hot key) to reroute if I miss a turn.  I like that it gives me the option, as I may have gone off route just to get gas at that gas station over there! Have to figure out a name for it tho.
I agree that the pro fill is wonderful!  Dollar for dollar it's the best thing we did to the LD.  I'd have to put the PV panels & batteries way up on the list! Should we start a database of the favorite things you've done to your LD, along w/ cost? Evelyn

David Walker wrote:

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 64483
Joan and Jonna,
 I also used the original bushings with the new mirrors, and have had no problem with rattles.
 I still have my original 2001 mirrors that Jonna is welcome to for the cost of shipping, but that may not solve the rattle problem if it is caused by the bushings.  Let me know if you want them, Jonna.

Barry 01 r rb tx

Re: mirrors
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 64484
Evelyn,

A database of favorite modifications sounds like it might be interesting.  The first problem, however is that we are at the maximum of 10 databases at present.  We can't create any more without removing one.
 One solution would be for Andy to release the 10th data base that is being used for a notice not to post LDs for sale there.  Since the modifications data base would make it 10, nobody would be able to post a LD for sale there anyway.  Andy, want to make a modifications data base along the lines that Evelyn suggests?

The other solution would be to remove one of the existing data bases.  The least used is the 'Dasyways' data base, but it is of some current interest, so I would suggest keeping it.  Porbably the best canidate would be the second least used, the 'Repair and Maintenance Survey'.

Any opinions?

Barry (also a fan of the GPS,

Re: Was mirrors ....Now - A database of favorite modifications
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 64485
Barry, perhaps a database could be started with the permission of the
 moderator at the LD Enhancements website. But I did notice on its home

page that the Database choice has not been activated as yet.

JC

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Was mirrors ....Now - A database
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 64486
And that would be a very logical place for a "my favorite enhancements" dB.  :-)

lomitalounger wrote:

Re: databases
Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 64488
"One solution would be for Andy to release the 10th data base that is being used for a notice not to post LDs for sale there."

Done!

Andy Baird
Benton, AZ
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Was: Pro-Fill question, now mirr
Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 64490
Thanks Barry but Mimi tells me she does have the old mirrors in our storage in Cathedral City.  She wants to take the new ones off and do some more adjusting (as well as try to get rid of the rattle on the passenger side) when we get back and then she'll decide if she wants to keep the new ones or not.  We bought the new ones from Marial because she wanted to get the electric ones.  They may move all around this group before they find a home :)

Re: Was mirrors ....Now - A database of favorite modifications
Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 64491
I have added Databases to the LD Enhancements site.  Go for it - I think it is a great idea.

Kathi LD Enhancements Moderator

Re: databases
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 64493
OK, I added a data base "Favorite LD Add-Ons" and added a couple of records to see how it worked.

Let's see if it is used.

Any comments/suggestions welcomed.

Barry 01 r rb tx '

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 64494
Just want to toss in my $.02 worth - I replaced my mirrors two years ago, and it was the best improvement I've made on our LD.  I had a very hard time trying to see anything in those small stick-on convex mirrors; the new lower wide convex mirror lets me see in just a quick glance whether I have another vehicle on either side.   Although the upper flat mirror is a bit smaller than the original, I have no problem seeing what I need to with them.
 They don't rattle, either - just as solid as the originals.  As did Joan, I think I used the original bushings with the new mirrors.
 I still have my old ones - for the price of shipping, they're yours, Jonna!
 Oops - I just saw that you have your old ones.  If anyone else wants/needs them, let me know.

Cheers, Ted H.
'02 FL   NE-12 At High Falls SP, GA
 Subject: wrote: I don't like that they rattle, the old ones never rattled.  But for her as the driver the new ones don't show her much more on the bottom and less on the top.
----- I used the original brass collar bushing from the LD mirrors when I put the Velvacs on; the original bushing is just enough larger/thicker (than the one that comes with the larger mirrors) to ensure a tight fit.

Joan