Skip to main content
Topic: Outdoor thermometer (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Outdoor thermometer
Yahoo Message Number: 58759
I'm thinking about getting a remote outdoor thermometer for my 30ft LD.  I'm hoping to get one with two or more sending units and put one outside and one in the frig. I see there was a thread on this subject in 2003. Anyone have any updated info on the subject?

Suggested make/models? Mounting location and technique suggestions especially for the outside sending unit?

Bob

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Outdoor thermometer
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 58760
Walmart sells Accurite which I have & have been pleased with for under $25. If you have a toad, put the sensor in there.

Re: Outdoor thermometer
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 58762
I'm thinking about getting a remote outdoor thermometer for my 30ft LD.  I'm hoping to get one with two or more sending units and put one outside and one in the frig. I see there was a thread on this subject in 2003. Anyone have any updated info on the subject?
We have a Radio Shack unit with three remote sensors.  One sensor in the freezer, one in the fridge, and one outside.  The base unit shows the temp where it is mounted.  The best outside location so far on our MB seems to be in the propane compartment (open below).  I've been running lithium batteries in the freezer and fridge (perform better at cold temps) and they seem to last forever in these remotes.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 58766
"The best outside location so far on our MB seems to be in the propane compartment (open below).

Art
Art

I'm currently parking my Radio Shack remote in the outside refridge compartment. How are you anchoring your remote down in the LP compartment so's it doesn't get lost?

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 58772

"The best outside location so far on our MB seems to be in the propane compartment (open below).

Art

Art

I'm currently parking my Radio Shack remote in the outside refridge compartment. How are you anchoring your remote down in the LP compartment so's it doesn't get lost?

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
I also settled on the propane compartment after trying the fridge (gets a heat boost from the burner, and the rear fake wheel cover (okay 'till it's in the sunshine). I fixed the mounting clip to the underside of the floor with a couple of screws.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 58774
Bob,
 Before we got out wirless thermometer, I mounted an inexpensive wired thermometer on the wall behind the driver near the TV of our RB model.
The th

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 58784
Thanks to Steve, Art, Bumper and Barry for the great info.  I'll be looking at Wal-Mart and Radio Shack for my thermometer and the propane compartment will get prime consideration as a location for a sending unit.

We pick-up "Flowerchild" at the Mothership a week from Monday, Oct.
17th.

Bob Gonnabe Flowerchild - Teal 30 IB

Re: Radio Shack Outdoor thermometer
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 58793
We have a Radio Shack unit with three remote sensors.  One sensor in the freezer, one in the fridge, and one outside.  The base unit shows the temp where it is mounted.  The best outside location so far on
our MB seems to be in the propane compartment (open below).  I've been

running lithium batteries in the freezer and fridge (perform better
at cold temps) and they seem to last forever in these remotes.

Art
Art, I use the same devices except I put the outdoor sensor on a picnic table or someplace away from the LD so as to get a more true temp reading, one that is not influenced by any possible residual heat from the LD.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 58803
We have a Radio Shack unit with three remote sensors.  One sensor in the freezer, one in the fridge, and one outside.  The base unit shows the temp where it is mounted.  The best outside location so far on our MB seems to be in the propane compartment (open below).  I've been running lithium batteries in the freezer and fridge (perform better at cold temps) and they seem to last forever in these remotes.

Art, I use the same devices except I put the outdoor sensor on a picnic table or someplace away from the LD so as to get a more true temp reading, one that is not influenced by any possible residual heat from the LD.
For me, that could be the last time I would see that sensor! Also, we like to get an idea of the outside temp while we are traveling.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 58806

We have a Radio Shack unit with three remote sensors.  One
sensor in

the freezer, one in the fridge, and one outside.  The base
unit shows

the temp where it is mounted.  The best outside location so
far on

our MB seems to be in the propane compartment (open below).
I've been

running lithium batteries in the freezer and fridge (perform better at cold temps) and they seem to last forever in these remotes.

Art, I use the same devices except I put the outdoor sensor on a picnic table or someplace away from the LD so as to get a more true temp reading, one that is not influenced by any possible
residual heat

from the LD.

For me, that could be the last time I would see that sensor! Also, we like to get an idea of the outside temp while we are
traveling.

Art
Forgetfulness or theft?  I have it on my departure checklist so as not to forget it.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 58809

Like Art, I mounted my remote temp sensor in the propane compartment.
It reads fairly accurately there except right after parking, when it picks up heat from under the rig.  It is very easy to attach it to the plastic shroud covering the pressure regulator (shown is Chris' photos, #1 of 4 at http://tinyurl.com/b7jvq I attached the bracket with a couple of screws and nuts.  My 2 cents.

Best wishes,

Tom Riley
'04 26 RB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 58816
Art, I use the same devices except I put the outdoor sensor on a picnic table or someplace away from the LD so as to get a more true temp reading, one that is not influenced by any possible
residual heat

from the LD.

For me, that could be the last time I would see that sensor! Also, we like to get an idea of the outside temp while we are
traveling.

Art
Art,

I was thinkin' the same thing. I'd have to have a case of extra sensors in the closet. I'd be leaving them like droppings all over the country!

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer