Skip to main content
Topic: Recommend Toad? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Recommend Toad?
Yahoo Message Number: 58714
We have considered a couple of cars as Toads with our 26.5 MB LD. I called the regarding the Toyota Prius and they said it wasn't recommended. Then I called about the Honda Civic 2006 and they said the same thing! We want an automatic transmission. What cars to other LD owner have as Toads?

Re: Recommend Toad?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 58716
"...Then I called about the Honda Civic 2006 and they said the same thing!" [not towable]

"We want an automatic transmission. What cars to other LD owner
have as Toads?"

Rosagypsy

I cannot understand why the 2006 Civic is not towable. Most earlier Civics were okay. What did the owners manual say about towing? Who was it you "called" that told you it could not be towed?

I just recently purchased a 2002 Civic LX and intend it to be my Toad. The owners manual specifically endorses towing this vehicle with certain restrictions (most of which have been posted on this board).

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 58732
We have been towing a 2002 Honda CRV for three years and it works great. It is an automatic trans.

Chris Hunter

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 58835
We have considered a couple of cars as Toads with our 26.5 MB LD.
 We want an automatic transmission. What cars to other LD owner have as Toads?
We have a '05 Honda CRV with automatic trans which is working flawlessly for us.  Our decision was driven by its very best safety rating; our baby grandson voted loud and clear, and that put a kibosh on my jeep craving.

John

was: Recommend Toad? now 2006 Honda Civic as toad
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 58943
I just drove a 2006 Honda Civic yesterday.  Afterwords I looked in the manual to see what it said about Dingy towing.  Well, it only mentioned "emergency towing".  It had no verbage about dingy towing.
It said somehting to the effect that you can only tow the new Civic four wheels down and that you can only do it for a short number of miles and at a very slow speed.  This was true for both Automatics and manual transmissions!  Then I grabbed a 2006 CRV manual and found that it still can be towed like before.

Hmmm...anyone know any more on this topic?

Jeff in NC

Re: was: Recommend Toad? now 2006 Honda Civic as toad
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 59014
I just drove a 2006 Honda Civic yesterday.  Afterwords I looked in
the  manual to see what it said about Dingy towing.  Well, it only

mentioned "emergency towing".  It had no verbage about dingy
towing.  It said somehting to the effect that you can only tow the new Civic  four wheels down and that you can only do it for a short number of  miles and at a very slow speed.  This was true for both Automatics and  manual transmissions!  Then I grabbed a 2006 CRV manual and found that  it still can be towed like before.

Jeff in NC
Hi Jeff,

I haven't looked at the new 2006 Civic yet, but from what I understand it is a fairly extensive redesign of the Civic. The CRV is based on the Civic and I believe the 2006 CRV is still based on the previous generation of Civic; that is why its still towable. I don't know what Honda may have done to the new Civic that causes it to not be towable. I seem to remember Saturn lost a chunk of their market a couple years ago when they made a similar change.

Did you decide to keep the LD after all?

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 59040
--- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, nukamper2000 We have a 2006 Civic EX ordered and will use it as a Toad. After talking to a few people at different dealerships they all said to use the "dolly" type tow, so the front wheels are off of the ground. We also spoke to a Honda mechanic and he said the same thing.
Are you getting a new Honda Civic? We ended up buying ours with the internet team because they gave us a great deal. I want the Red one so I have to wait a few weeks..

wrote:

I just drove a 2006 Honda Civic yesterday.  Afterwords I looked in the  manual to see what it said about Dingy towing.  Well, it only mentioned "emergency towing".  It had no verbage about dingy towing.  It said somehting to the effect that you can only tow the new Civic  four wheels down and that you can only do it for a short number of  miles and at a very slow speed.  This was true for both Automatics and  manual transmissions!  Then I grabbed a 2006 CRV manual and found that  it still can be towed like before.

Jeff in NC

Hi Jeff,

I haven't looked at the new 2006 Civic yet, but from what I understand it is a fairly extensive redesign of the Civic. The CRV is based on the Civic and I believe the 2006 CRV is still based on the previous generation of Civic; that is why its still towable. I
don't

know what Honda may have done to the new Civic that causes it to not be towable. I seem to remember Saturn lost a chunk of their market a couple years ago when they made a similar change.

Did you decide to keep the LD after all?

Steve K.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 59046
[quote author=rosagypsy1313" rosagypsy1313@y...>]

--- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, nukamper2000 We have a 2006 Civic EX ordered and will use it as a Toad. After talking to a few people at different dealerships they all said to use the "dolly" type tow, so the front wheels are off of the ground. We also spoke to a Honda mechanic and he said the same thing.
Are you getting a new Honda Civic? We ended up buying ours with the internet team because they gave us a great deal. I want the Red one so I have to wait a few weeks..

This subject comes up regularly. I don't yet tow, but here is the official version from the Honda web site:
 http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Operation/index.asp?faq=operating#towing 
Will :|

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [/quote]

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 59057
I am thinking about the new Civic Coupe SI.  They are really cute and the SI is pretty quick too.  Which dolly are you thinking of getting?

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 59075
We haven't even started looking at dolly trailers yet. If you get any information please pass it along.

Recommend Toad?
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 58721
To ? Most of the 2005 Saturn products are, Do be care full when people say  their toad is towable. You have to now the year and what transmission they have.
For example the Saturn Vue 4 cylinder auto was not towable in 2005, but it is in  2006. MotorHome magazine publishes a current year towing ratings each year.
You  can go to there _http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/_ (http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/)  and  at the bottom of the page is a guide for Dinghy Towing for the years 2002-2005.  Also a lot of vehicles can be converted to make them towable. But that option  should probably be only if you already have a unit or can buy one super cheap[.  Hope this helps.

Dave Hasselberg 2005 26 1/2 MB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]