Skip to main content
Topic: Bake Packer Cooker (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Bake Packer Cooker
Yahoo Message Number: 58604
In one of the on-line forums, this cooking accessory, a Bake Packer, was discussed.  I've never heard of it before, or seen it advertised.
Are there any LDers who use one?
 http://www.bakepacker.com/index.html

It doesn't reduce cooking time, just allows for cleaner cooking and clean-up, and appears to be aimed mainly at backpackers, rather than RVers.  I don't do much cooking in the LD, but this idea does appeal to me.  I don't think I'd use the suggested Glad bags, though, as the plastic in them isn't designed for cooking.  I'd use the oven-baking bags instead.

Any thoughts?

Sharon N.

Bake Packer Cooker
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 58617
I had one of these, Sharon, when we used to camp in a VW camper.  I never once used it.  I'm not sure why.  I didn't even move it into the Lazy Daze when we moved up to a regular RV.  Not sure what happened to it when we moved out of California.  It was expensive, and I thought it seemed like the cat's whiskers, but the time never seemed right to use it.

I was probably nervous about using regular plastic bags, too, and the oven bags are hideously expensive.  And, I'm not convinced that it is totally safe to cook even in the oven bags.  I tend to be a worry wart in that regard.

Virtual hugs,

Judie On the road in - Mount Vernon, Washington

Re: Bake Packer Cooker
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 58627
Quote from: Sharon N."

In one of the on-line forums, this cooking accessory, a Bake Packer, was discussed.  I've never heard of it before, or seen it advertised. Are there any LDers who use one?
 http://www.bakepacker.com/index.html

It doesn't reduce cooking time, just allows for cleaner cooking and clean-up, and appears to be aimed mainly at backpackers, rather than RVers.  I don't do much cooking in the LD, but this idea does appeal to me.  I don't think I'd use the suggested Glad bags, though, as the plastic in them isn't designed for cooking.  I'd use the oven-baking bags instead.

Any thoughts?

Sharon N.

Hi Sharon,
 IMHO, I looked at his item on the web site, and it basically seems to be a metal grid supporting a sealed plastic bag filled with whatever over boiling water in a covered pot, the whatever cooking in the steam from the boiling water.  For baked goods, it might hold some interest for a backpacker who doesn't mind eating the resultant product, who has little to no wash-up facilities, and who doesn't want to tote the 10# cast iron flat-lid Dutch oven that will actually bake something tasty using an outdoor fire. I just don't see where this has any place in a modern well-equipped RV kitchen. This looks like something that would end up in out in a storage area along with the fondue cooker, cappuccino maker, pasta press, and that old slinky one could never bear to throw away.

For non-baked goods, and if clean-up and convenience is a consideration, I would look at the food storage vacuum-sealing devices on the market, example :
 http://www.seal-a-meal.com/index.asp

All kinds of prepare-ahead meals, portions, etc. can be made and later cooked in the bag in boiling water. The bag gets tossed, the pot stays clean, and the hot water goes into the sink for utensil/plate wash-up.

Will

Re: Bake Packer Cooker
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 58632
"In one of the on-line forums, this cooking accessory, a Bake Packer, was discussed. I've never heard of it before, or seen it advertised. Are there any LDers who use one? http://www.bakepacker.com/index.html It doesn't reduce cooking time, just allows for cleaner cooking and clean-up, and appears to be aimed mainly at backpackers, rather than RVers. I don't do much cooking in the LD, but this idea does appeal to me. I don't think I'd use the suggested Glad bags, though, as the plastic in them isn't designed for cooking. I'd use the oven-baking bags instead. Any thoughts?"

Sharon N.
 We have been using one for over fifthteen years on our kayak camping trips. It's a great backpacking tool but if we had a real oven, we would use it. Backed good never brown and are always very moist, sometimes too moist. Still, in the morning,  fresh cornbread or a cinnamon cake is a welcomed treat.
We pre-prepare most of our camping meals at home and use a dehydrator to condense and preserve them. The food is prepackaged into meals size quantities and stored in baggies. Water is added to the baggies and then warmed in the Bake Packer. It does a good job of rehydrating our homemade MREs and cleanup is a snap, just throw the empty baggie into the trash bag

If your MH does not have an oven, I guess a Back Packer would be useful but since our LD does have one, we will leave the Bake Packer for our backcountry trips. Having a refrigerator and stove, in our LD, allows us eat fresh which is preferable to dried foods IMO.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)