Skip to main content
Topic: Planning trip to Ashland, OR - any suggestions (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Planning trip to Ashland, OR - any suggestions
Yahoo Message Number: 58470
We are expecting delivery of our 30' IB in early Nov. and plan on a road trip to check out the Ashland/Southern OR area for possible retirement. We are driving from Southern Calif and want to take some nice scenic routes along the coast.

Any suggestions for the Southern OR area - either camping or as a possible retirement spot???

Thanks! The Murphys Lake Forest, CA

Re: Planning trip to Ashland, OR - any suggestions
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 58474
"Any suggestions for the Southern OR area - either camping or as a possible retirement spot???"

Hey Murph, that's a pretty tall order!

I happen to have just returned from that area. Stopped off and paid a visit to Henderson's in Grants Pass, outbound and inbound. They've got free Wi-Fi you can tap into.

Stayed at a nice little RV Park by the name of "River Park" on the Rouge River Road (old Hwy 99). It's right on the river with lots of ducks and geese.

My travels took me over to the Oregon coast by way of Hwy 199 to Crescent City (CA) and thence north through Brookings. At Brookings there is a OR State Park called Harris Beach. It's the only SP I've seen with cable TV.
 Further north you'll hit the town of Gold Beach. Stop and take a jet boat ride. About 12 miles north of there you'll find a campground called Honey Bear, run by a German man and his wife, very good German food in the evening.
 Eight miles beyond Honey Bear (Ophir) you come upon "Arizona Beach".
If you've never camped within a stones throw of the Pacific surf this is the place to do it.

You best have plenty of film for your camera, it's a photographer's dream come true.

Have fun. You can spend a lot of time in that area.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Re: Planning trip to Ashland, OR - any suggestions
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 58475
Any suggestions for the Southern OR area - either camping or as a possible retirement spot???

You cannot go wrong at the Valley of the Rogue State Park between Medford and Grants Pass.  We highly recommend it.
Dan Zoll

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Planning trip to Ashland, OR - a
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 58476
That's a great little park!  Good rest area too.  And there are agates

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 58495
I never thought about a reduced tax benefit for seniors - do you know how I could find out about it for your area?

Thanks, Micki Murphy

Mari Susan tosca@...> wrote: Dsinouye: Do any of the counties

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 58497
Wow, thanks for all the info. It's been 20 yrs since we were last

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 58502
There are reduced tax rates for people with on various fixed incomes, including retired and disabled, in California, but not sure about Oregon.
-Dorothy

Rod Murphy wrote:

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 58508
Rod: I went to my county clerk's office and asked about it some time ago and yes,