Skip to main content
Topic: Intercom question (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Intercom question
Yahoo Message Number: 58206
This is for Andy, or anyone else who has gotten an intercom for their LD.  I did check the Gertie site to see if there were any details about the intercom you mentioned, but didn't see it listed.  Is that it sitting on top of the microwave?  Would you give us some details about it...where you bought it, is it wireless, or did you have to do some installation?  Has it worked out for you?  There are certainly times when I would rather use an intercom than open the door to whoever is outside.

Sharon N.

Re: Intercom question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 58209
"I did check the Gertie site to see if there were any details about the intercom you mentioned, but didn't see it listed.  Is that it sitting on top of the microwave?"
 Yup, that's the base station. I have the remote mounted with Superlock tape (like very strong Velcro) just outside the door, but I normally bring it in and mount it just inside the door when driving. (I have forgotten on occasion, though, and it has never fallen off.)
 It's a Speco BI-W2D wired intercom that cost $25. I wanted something cheap, simple and reliable, and this is all three. It runs on a single 9V battery in the base station; a wireless intercom would just have meant more batteries to worry about running down. ;-) The skinny little wire snakes around the door gasket without a problem.
 I used Froogle to find this unit, and bought it from "Eddie's Custom Installation, Inc."--the unit's web page is at

http://estore.websitepros.com/796929/Detail.bok?no=107
 "Has it worked out for you?  There are certainly times when I would rather use an intercom than open the door to whoever is outside."
 You bet! Yes, it has worked perfectly. I've used it to talk with strangers before (or instead of) opening the door, and with friends when I wasn't dressed. Its big red button serves as a doorbell. I'm very pleased with it.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Intercom question
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 58231
[snip]

It's a Speco BI-W2D wired intercom that cost $25. [snip] Andy Baird
Thanks muchly!  That answered my questions, and more. :^)

Sharon N.