Skip to main content
Topic: Roof reinforcement for Data Storm/future design/all day cooking dev (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Roof reinforcement for Data Storm/future design/all day cooking dev
Yahoo Message Number: 58088
Roof reinforcement for Data Storm..
If  people think they may wait to get a Data Storm--until there may be a price break, a size reduction or one has more play money in the pot--should one still get the roof reinforced?

We have a 26 MB one on order for Dec delivery.

Or, can this reinforcement be done later?
 Or do you tech smart people foresee a reduction in Datastorm weight and size in the future, so that no reinforcement might be needed?
 Thanks to all who answered our recent solar panel question. We ordered two and also thanks to Andy for his great website. If you haven't take a tour of the great modifications made to Gertie. www.andybaird.com
 Andy, have ordered the Nissan Thermal all-day cooking device--didn't know such a power-saving Crock-Pot kind of device existed and have also ordered a French Press coffee maker. You just heat the water, pour it in the thermos that has fresh ground coffee in it, wait four minutes and slowly press the mesh filter down to the bottom, leaving the grounds isolated on the bottom and the freshly made coffee above it. You then have hot coffee for hours with no further use of power. And you don't get that burned old taste from coffee sitting on a heater.
 My husband said today---I see we are joining a new church: The Church of Lazy Daze.

I say Amen.
Anyhow, any advice about reinforcement will be appreciated.
Maryellen (Mel)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Roof reinforcement for Data Storm
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 58090
melwalsh03@a... wrote:

If people think they may wait to get a DataStorm ...should one still get the roof reinforced?
Certainly.  It would be expensive to try to reinforce the roof after the coach is built.

The Motosat Datastorm D1 automatic dish aiming mechanism weighs about 110 lbs. and takes up a space about 54" by 40" by 11" high when stowed.
The factory will increase the thickness of the roof framing to support this extra weight.

Be sure to ask the factory to mark the correct location on the roof for the Datastorm mount, and also the correct location to drill down through the roof to pass the power and control cables.

--oryoki

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 58094
"Certainly. It would be expensive to try to reinforce the roof after the coach is built."

oryoki
 It is possible to somewhat inexpensively mount heavy items on the roof without additional Factory bracing.
Using the same method employed on our LD's kayak rack would enable aftermarket fitting of a Motosat dish.  None of the weight is resting on the roof; with the load being supported by the side walls.
As said before, Ed, at LD, recommended mounting the kayaks racks to the side walls, at the position shown, to take advantage of the internal framing. He even provided a drawing showing how and where to place the side plates. The plates use the Factory screw holes, so no new holes are drilled. If desired, the side plates can be removed, leaving little evidence except, maybe, for some scuffed paint.
 The racks have carried over three hundred pounds, on many trips, for over ten years without a problem.
 Naturally, anyone attempting to mount heavy items on their roof should have it done by a qualified tech.  Improperly constructed, it could cause serious problems. Adding weight to the roof of any vehicle raises the center of gravity and negatively changes the handling characteristics (increased roll in cornering).

It would be preferable to have the Factory reinforce the roof, if ordering new. The side plate method is for after market fitting.

See Mounting plate http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lw5315us/detail?.dir=bdd0&.dnm=fbc3.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lw5315us/detail?.dir=bdd0&.dnm=ec36.jpg&.src=ph

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: Roof reinforcement for Data Storm/future design/all day cooking
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 58096
"My husband said today---I see we are joining a new church: The Church of Lazy Daze. "

Maryellen
 It is more like a cult. When you become a member, we will show you the secret hand shake .

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: Roof reinforcement for Data Storm/future design/all day cooking
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 58126
"It is more like a cult. When you become a member, we will show you the secret hand shake"

Hey, when are y'all gonna teach it to me? ;-)

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 58151
For those not familiar with the product, Unistrut is a common industrial strength builing product.  I've seen it used extensively in every power plant I've been in.

Without doing the calcs I'd guess that 3 long Unistrut members connected to the side plates with the outer two at the edge of the Datastorm baseplate, and three shorter Unistrut under the baseplate would do the job.  This is overkill from the strength standpoint because I beliee the primary design objective is to limit deflection.

best,  paul

It would be preferable to have the Factory reinforce the roof, if ordering new. The side plate method is for after market fitting.

See Mounting plate
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lw5315us/detail?.dir=bdd0&.dnm=fbc3.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lw5315us/detail?.dir=bdd0&.dnm=ec36.jpg&.src=ph

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Roof reinforcement for Data Stor
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 58170
On Sep 17, 2005, at 8:23 AM, Paul Smith wrote:

We had LD reinforce the roof in our MB.  We might have been the first.
They did a nice job.  LD istalled 2by6s under the entire footprint of the antenna baseplate, and extended them to the side walls. They also installed a plumbers cap over a safe place to later drill a hole for the cables.  $250 if I recall a right.

I'm not sure if reinforcing was needed for strength.  I made very clear to LD that I was going to install a Datastorm whether they reinforced the roof or not, and I got the impression that under the circumstances LD didn't want any potential leaks because of my "ill-advised install" to somehow reflect on their fine reputation.
 However, there IS the issue of the footprint of the base plate and the MANY screws used to attach it.  In my case all screws went into 2by6s.
Without reinforcing I'm not sure how many screws would go into framing.
Hi,

I'm a wannabe at the moment, and will be a gonnabe shortly after I make it back to the US mainland, early next year.
 I'm definitely going with Lazy Daze for a MH, having done bucketloads of research, and I've only managed to find one person with negative comments about Lazy Daze (and that was the company, not the RV), whereas there seems to be volumes of bad things being said about all the other manufacturers.

I'd like to do the 23 1/2', but I'm curious if the Datastorm mount can fit on the roof with the AC and 2 solar panels, or would I have to go to the 26 1/2' model?

Thanks.

Joe O'Malley

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Roof reinforcement for Data Stor
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 58178
On Sep 18, 2005, at 4:20 PM, Paul Smith wrote:

Don't know about the roof real estate but the antenna specs are here:

Be sure to click on "Datastorm F1"

best,  paul

I'd like to do the 23 1/2', but I'm curious if the Datastorm mount can fit on the roof with the AC and 2 solar panels, or would I have to go to the 26 1/2' model?
Thanks.

That gave info that was good enough.  The unit takes 54.5" while stowing, which, while longer than the base plate (it includes some overhang on the arm), gives a number that should work well enough to ask LD when I order the coach.

Joe