Skip to main content
Topic: Odd (But Pleasant) Episode With RoadMaster (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Odd (But Pleasant) Episode With RoadMaster
Yahoo Message Number: 57839
I had an odd (but very pleasant) episode with RoadMaster the toad hitch maker a few weeks ago.  I still haven't figured out its significance if any.

When we were in the RoadMaster booth at the (not so) Great All American RV Rally in July, I was looking at the Sterling hitch display when a RoadMaster man walked up.  He asked if I had any questions and I said that no, I didn't, that I already had an older Sterling hitch that I liked very much.  But, I said,  I  really liked the new latch assembly that holds the hitch when it is disconnected from the car.
He said that since I lived in Beaverton, near the Portland factory, it would be easy to take the hitch back to the factory where they would remanufacture it with the new latch for something like $50.
 I thought that would be nice, so a few weeks later, I took the hitch to the factory as he suggested.  They kept the hitch, telling me that they would call in a couple of days, which they did.  When I picked it up, the hitch had been rather completely remanufactured, including new shafts in the sliding portion that attaches to the car, new ends on those shafts (to accept the pins that tow the car), a new and longer shank to go into the LD's receiver and, as promised, a new latch assembly to hold the hitch up when disconnected from the car.
 Then, the surprise:  I was told there was no charge!  They just gave me a complete hitch rebuild job, including many new parts for nothing! I am wondering if this was generosity because I have a nice face and speak politely?  Or, is this general company policy? Or, was there a recall of the early RoadMaster Sterling hitches?  Or, someting else?

Needless to say I am inclined to like RoadMaster in any case.

Comments?

Linley

Re: Odd (But Pleasant) Episode With RoadMaster
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 57842
Linley, Your experience is quite common at larger RV shows and rallys. Goodwill is their way of getting you to buy again next time.
At the Monaco rallys the tow bar vendors would check your hitch or tow bar and make any repairs or adjustments on site. I had both rubber boots replaced and new pins on my Blue OX tow bar, all as good will. Your last statement says it all. VBG ray, ================================================================= But, I said,  I  really liked the new latch

assembly that holds the hitch when it is disconnected from the
car.

He said that since I lived in Beaverton, near the Portland
factory, it

would be easy to take the hitch back to the factory where they would remanufacture it with the new latch for something like $50.

I thought that would be nice, so a few weeks later, I took the hitch to the factory as he suggested.  They kept the hitch, telling me that they would call in a couple of days, which they did.  When I
picked it

up, the hitch had been rather completely remanufactured, including new shafts in the sliding portion that attaches to the car, new ends on those shafts (to accept the pins that tow the car), a new and longer shank to go into the LD's receiver and, as promised, a new latch assembly to hold the hitch up when disconnected from the car.

Then, the surprise:  I was told there was no charge!  They just gave me a complete hitch rebuild job, including many new parts for
nothing!

I am wondering if this was generosity because I have a nice face and speak politely?  Or, is this general company policy? Or, was there a recall of the early RoadMaster Sterling hitches?  Or, someting
else?

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Odd (But Pleasant) Episode With Road
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 57843
On Sep 7, 2005, at 6:03 PM, lfgcfg wrote:

I had an odd (but very pleasant) episode with RoadMaster the toad hitch maker a few weeks ago.  I still haven't figured out its significance if any.
Needless to say I am inclined to like RoadMaster in any case.

Comments?

Linley
You're a nice guy, and lucky too!
 OK, how 'bout your biorhythms were in perfect alignment with the zodiac?

No?  OK,  how about your number was up!!

Actually, that was a neat story and good of you to share it.
Hope to see you and Celia at Leavenworth in a few weeks!!

Lorna, still in Oakridge
2003 RB