Skip to main content
Topic: Toad question (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Toad question
Yahoo Message Number: 57798
Does anyone tow a Dodge Caravan or similar sized minivan with their LD?

How much does your Dodge Caravan weigh, Gina?  Depending on which hitch configuration you choose, the LD-installed hitch has a maximum tow rating of 4,000# with a 350# tongue weight.  While you can *theoretically* pull up to 5,950# (20,000# GCWR minus 14,050# GVWR), you'd have to have a custom frame-mounted hitch installed to pull anything over 4,000#.

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK

From Cascade Meadows RV Resort
La Pine, OR

See where we are: http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=1167
Linda Hylton

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Toad question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 57813
Well, I'm not really sure. Internet research looks like it comes up around 4200# (plus or minus 20 depending on the source). I imagine we'd have to clean it out substantially to get it down to that. ;-)
 Is there any "fudge factor" in that 4000#? That's pretty close. Are there certain ways to tow that relieve some of the pressure/weight/whatever? What's the difference between using a dolly and just pulling it (as I usually see toads being pulled)?

I really like my van; I'd really like to keep it around. :)

Gina

How much does your Dodge Caravan weigh, Gina? Depending on which hitch configuration you choose, the LD-installed hitch has a maximum tow rating of 4,000# with a 350# tongue weight.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 57821
Is there any "fudge factor" in that 4000#? That's pretty close. Are there certain ways to tow that relieve some of the pressure/weight/whatever? What's the difference between using a dolly and just pulling it (as I usually see toads being pulled)?

Gina, personally, I would not tow something that weighed 4,200# without having a custom frame-mounted hitch installed.   This is a safety issue, so you have to determine how much the safety of your family is worth.  Go ahead and keep your Caravan, but spend the money to have a frame-mounted hitch installed that will take the weight.
 Of course, all of this assumes that your Caravan is towable 4-down.  Do you know whether or not it is with or without modifications?  If it turns out that the only way you can tow the Caravan is with a tow dolly, that will only exacerbate the problem, since you'll also have the weight of the tow dolly to contend with.

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK

From Cascade Meadows RV Resort
La Pine, OR

See where we are: http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=1167
Linda Hylton

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 57831
Oh boy. Clearly I know nothing about towing because I didn't even know all vehicles could not be towed. Turns out the Caravan is *not* towable 4-down.
It sounds (from reading the towing world site that rjf4fingers sent--thanks!), like a tow dolly is problematic and cumbersome for use with a MH. The weight might not be a problem since it sounds like we'd need the custom hitch anyway.
 We have an oldish Subaru legacy that is manual, and thus towable. It's a squeeze to get everyone into the back, but it looks like it's our best bet for now. Funny, because we were just getting ready to sell it! I would like something with more space, but don't really want to take on another car payment in addition to financing a LD.
 Thanks so much for the information! It is all overwhelming and I'm glad that it's going to be awhile before we're ready to do anything (though I'm anxious to hit the road)!

Gina Pueblo, Colorado (who would love to see a LD in person--esp. a 26.5 MB--if anyone nearby has one)
 Of course, all of this assumes that your Caravan is towable 4-down. Do you

know whether or not it is with or without modifications? If it turns out that the only way you can tow the Caravan is with a tow dolly, that will only exacerbate the problem, since you'll also have the weight of the tow dolly to contend with.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]