Skip to main content
Topic: Gas prices and $aving $$$ on gas. (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Gas prices and $aving $$$ on gas.
Yahoo Message Number: 57766
Hi group,

After reading several posts about gas prices, and having just completed a trip of over 11,000 miles (Ohio to Alaska with stops in several national parks in the lower 48) I thought I would share a few observations from a long trip and offer a tip that might help save you some money on fuel.

Even though the price of gas is sky high right now, after experiencing purchasing gas in Canada, I swore I wouldn't complain about fuel prices in the USA again. After adjusting for liters/gallons, and US dollar/Canadian dollars, we often found gas selling for nearly $4/gallon in parts of Canada. And heck, much of our oil comes from there. If you check the price of motor oil, you'll find oil you may pay $1.99-$2.49 per quart for in the USA selling for well over $4 per liter. On top of that, they'll add environment charges for the container it's bottled in. (One Canadian told me that energy costs are another reason they hate Americans!)

In most instances, you won't find crowded campgrounds either. I suspect it's the fuel prices. We pulled into Colter Bay GC at Grand Teton on a Friday afternoon; in the past there would usually be a "campgroud full" sign that late in the week. And that would always be the situation at the Colter Bay RV park. They had several loops closed in the campground and I doubt that half the available spaces were occupied. This was the week before Labor Day.

About the only places we found full campgrounds were where "locals" were filling the campgrounds like in Jasper National Pk and Banff NP which were both pretty full with folks from Calgary and Edmnonton, which are fairly close by. Fuel prices? hmmmm
 Here's one suggestion for saving a little $$$ on fuel. When you visit a new area, go to the local grocery chain and get a "Saver Card". I know you hate to carry more "cards" with you, but if you need to restock the food provisions, you will save quite a bit with those cards, and now many grocers are also selling gas. In Canada, several chains now offer savings of 4-5 Cents per liter, that's almost 20 cents/gallon) when you purchase 40-50 gallons it adds up! Even in Alaska you'll find gas savings through grocery chains. Just visit the customer service counter and ask for a card; if you tell them your a tourist, they'll frequently just give you a "Saver Card" without filling anything out.

Now if anyone can tell me how to save some $$$ on beer and wine in Canada? Yikes! I guess the Canadians have found a way to stop folks from "drinking and driving"!;-)

Steve K. (don't even think about carrying wine through Canadian customs!)
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Gas prices and $aving $$$ on gas.
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 57770
When you visit a new area, go to the local grocery chain and get a "Saver Card".

Most grocery stores have a *courtesy* card that they can use for people just passing through...no need to get a card.  Whenever I'm asked if I have a grocery store's card, and that's the only time I'm going to be in that particular store, I always ask if they have a courtesy card they can use so that I can get the store's discounts.  I haven't been refused yet.  I don't know if this applies to the gas discounts though...we're very seldom in towns where the grocery stores have gas stations!  I do, of course, have cards for the grocery stores we shop at the most: Safeway, Albertsons, Fry's (which is a Kroger-owned store, and I've used this card at other Kroger-owned stores, even if they are not a Fry's).

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK

From Cascade Meadows RV Resort
La Pine, OR

See where we are: http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=1167
Linda Hylton