Skip to main content
Topic: Deet and Neet (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Deet and Neet
Yahoo Message Number: 57763
RE mosquito repellant: Noel - Cyberskier_98 wrote....
....But, I did do a brief net search. I didn't find any links to bears being attracted to mosquito repellent,

I do thank Noel for researching, as I hate to suggest anything that might be incorrect, especially where our safety is concerned.  However, by doing a 1-shot net search I came up with three sites indicating insect repellant was an attractant to bears.  Following, is the best one.
 http://motorcyclephilippines.com/pages/AlexCanada.php

Sign of Warning posted at State Parks National Campground.

A Canadian Adventure A trip to Calgary, Canada

Excerpt from writeup:
 I park my bike by the campsite picnic table, unload my groceries and started preparing dinner. I get a mosquito bite and promptly begin applying liberal dosages of mosquito repellant all over myself.
 Then I notice a "Bear Warning" sign nearby. I move closer to read the sign which states to store away stuff that behave like bear attractants. Stuff like food, soap, and mosquito repellants. Hmmm.
 I cook dinner and like bears, my campsite neighbors get a whiff of my cooking and they come over to join me. After a multi-ethnic dinner by the campfire, I begin to wonder about my predicament for the night. I realized I was firmly inside bear habitat. I store some leftover foods away from my tent up a tree. Having a bear show up at a campsite is like having the battleship Bismark stumble into a munitions convoy in the Atlantic. There is no stopping the beast and a lot of damage and chaos can occur. I laid a bit tense inside my tent that night as I tried to lull myself to sleep reading the campsite flyers which had bear warnings printed all over it.