Skip to main content
Topic: Gas in NM (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Gas in NM
Yahoo Message Number: 57709
Saw some posts asking if gas was available in other parts of the country, and thought I would post conditions in Southern NM. As of 9/4, regular gas was $3.09 at Diamond Shamrock, but no shortages. Also noted that Sam's club a block away has it for $2.89 but it's 86 octane.
I know the owner's manual on LD and most vehicles says to use 87 octane, so I have not wanted to use the 86. Does anyone here use 86? (and saw some places in the Hill Country of TX last week that were selling 85 octane) What can be expected from using lower octanes? Mari Las Cruces NM

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Gas in NM
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 57711
The best place to check for current gas prices around the country is on http://gasbuddy.com

Octane requirements decrease as you increase in altitude.  As long as you aren't down around sea level, 86 octane should be just fine.  In some areas above 5,000 you can only find 85 octane at most stations (other than premium.)  They must assume you are going to stick around that area.

Dick

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Gas in NM
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 57715
-- "Richard Hughes"  wrote:

The best place to check for current gas prices around the country
is on

http://gasbuddy.com

Octane requirements decrease as you increase in altitude.  As long
as you

aren't down around sea level, 86 octane should be just fine.  In
some areas

above 5,000 you can only find 85 octane at most stations (other than premium.)  They must assume you are going to stick around that area.

Dick [mailto:lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of mskit417 Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 9:42 AM

Subject: Gas in NM

Thanks Richard, for explaining about the elevations, now I know
it's ok to use the 86 here in NM where the elevation is 3700 ft.I was mistaken about the Tx hill country, it was actually around the Denver area where I saw the 85 Octane for sale. Getting confused as to where I've been.
Mari Las Cruces NM

Saw some posts asking if gas was available in other parts of the country, and thought I would post conditions in Southern NM. As of
9/4,

regular gas was $3.09 at Diamond Shamrock, but no shortages. Also noted that Sam's club a block away has it for $2.89 but it's 86 octane. I
know the

owner's manual on LD and most vehicles says to use 87 octane, so I have not wanted to use the 86. Does anyone here use
86?

(and saw some places in the Hill Country of TX last week that were selling 85 octane) What can be expected from using lower octanes?
Mari Las

Re: Gas in NM
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 57722
"mskit417"  wrote: "....now I know it's ok to use the 86 here in NM where the elevation is 3700 ft" --- Not necessarily.  3700' isn't considered "high altitude".  But, if your engine (is it a V-10?) doesn't "knock" on 86 octane gas, the lower octane *may* work for you. I stick with 87, regardless of the altitude where I'm traveling, and if there's only a choice between 85/86 and 88, I'll use 88. YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Gas in NM
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 57732
Modern engines are very forgiving when it comes to octane.  If the octane is too low, the computer will just throttle the spark advance back until there is no detonation.  The worst that can happen is that you will lose a little power.

Dick

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Gas in NM
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 57781
Modern engines are very forgiving when it comes to octane.  If the
octane is

too low, the computer will just throttle the spark advance back
until there

is no detonation.  The worst that can happen is that you will lose a little power.

Dick
I have found that 85 octane was satisfactory in the LD, but the generator didn't like it one bit!  Much surging and missing.  It all cleared up after running 87 through it again. FWIW

Gary '95 LD 30IB

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Gas in NM
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 57782
 [mailto:lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of gwagner_92320 Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 10:00 AM
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Subject: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Gas in NM

I have found that 85 octane was satisfactory in the LD, but the generator didn't like it one bit!  Much surging and missing.  It all cleared up after running 87 through it again. FWIW

Gary '95 LD 30IB
 That's because the LD has a sophisticated computer system to take care of octane changes, but the generator does not.

Dick

Re: Gas in NM
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 57876
I realize this thread is old.  I was looking through the owner's manual of my '05 E450 Superduty chassis last night and it not only recommended 87 octane fuel it recommended NOT using fuel of a lesser octane. FWIW,

ray

===============================================================