Skip to main content
Topic: The Tire Man (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
The Tire Man
Yahoo Message Number: 133650
Just got home from a 310 mile round trip visit to Chuck in Ridgecrest, CA. Spent last night at his store in my LD with his hook-up. Can't praise him enough on his professionalism and tire knowledge. He took "Grey-Ryder's" and my picture after he finished installing his proudly made valve extentenders, balancing and reinstalling all six factory tires. He spent around three hours doing the install, 6 hours if you include conversation.
If any LDer hasn't had this safety work done, I can only recommend it.  Much, much better than plastic air valve sensors. His thick solid brass extenders will not melt. So easy to check tire pressure now than before, when it was at least very difficult with the factory configuration.
Anyhow - I'm a happy camper and feel safer after an easy tire pressure check.
James 2011 TK

Re: The Tire Man
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 133657
Just got home from a 310 mile round trip visit to Chuck in Ridgecrest, CA. ...I'm a happy camper and feel safer after an easy tire pressure check.

James 2011 TK
Welcome to the club James.
 Chuck's satisfied customers are legion! We sing his praises mightily.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 133658
"Just got home from a 310 mile round trip visit to Chuck in Ridgecrest, CA.... I'm a happy camper and feel safer after an easy tire pressure check."

James 2011 TK
Welcome to the club James.
 Chuck's satisfied customers are legion! We sing his praises mightily.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Re: The Tire Man- valve stem extenders
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 133663
For those who do not want to drive to Ridgecrest, brass valve extenders are are available online from Chuck and several other suppliers. They can be installed by any tire shop that handle an RV. Our LD's extended stems were installed at Costco when the original tires were replaced.

Another supplier is Borg Tire http://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/796/dually-valve-kits

Brass valve extenders have been around almost as long as dual tires have been.
Truck tire shops have been custom bending stems for decades, to deal with the everpresent problem of checking and adding air to dual wheels.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 133670
Larry You are correct. Chuck sells many kits via mail order as well does his competition. The difference is Costco will not let you

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 133673
"You are correct. Chuck sells many kits via mail order as well does his competition. The difference is Costco will not let you in their bay area to view the installation...Chuck's rubber boots that center the inside duel valve stem in on of the four wheel holes were added."

James
 When I ordered new tires at Costco, I bought the box of extended stems with me and show them to the manager, asking if I could watch to make sure they were installed correctly. She agree and set up an early appointment, before their normal opening, for the install.
The full install took just over an hour and I verified it was done correctly.
It isn't rocket science. All of the kits I have looked at come with detailed instructions
 Borg's extenders kits comes with rubber centering discs and cost $15 less.
 Other than the two or three members of the forum that live in Ridgecrest, it is a long, expensive drive for most of us to have this done. There are other competent tire installers besides the Tireman.
If you happen to be heading up Hwy 395, it isn't too far out of the way to see the Tireman, if not, your local truck tire shop can handle the job.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 133674
I had the same experience with Chuck and, as James said, would encourage any RV owner with dual wheels to have extended valves installed.   Go to any Rally and be amazed at how many owners "aren't sure" what the tire pressure is on their inside dual wheel.   As they say, it's a accident waiting to happen.   You can mail order the valves extensions from Chuck and find a competent tire shop to do the install, just make sure you're watching so it's done right.     If you can make the trip to Ridgecrest to meet Chuck and have him check your wheels and do the install it's worth it.   And, as long as you're there,  continue the trip up the backside of the Sierras on US395 to Reno/Lake Tahoe and beyond.   It's a great trip.    Gale
G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 133675
Which is what we did...ordered the long metal valve stems (not extenders) from the Tireman and had them installed by a local tire shop.
 My only caution would be when the time comes to purchase new tires...there are some tire dealers who want to throw away old stems and give you new ones.  That's OK if you're talking about regular stems, but the specialty stems from the Tireman can be moved from tire to tire.  However, you may have to fight with the tire dealer to keep them from throwing away your expensive specialty stems!

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 133676
Well, for one, everyone should head up US-395.  It's a treat.
 In fact it is our preferred route from El Centro, CA to the SF Bay Area.

best, paul

"When you arise in the morning, think of****

what a precious privilege it is to be alive...****

to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."****

~ Marcus Aurelius
 Other than the two or three members of the forum that live in Ridgecrest,

it is a long, expensive drive for most of us to have this done. There are other competent tire installers besides the Tireman.
If you happen to be heading up Hwy 395, it isn't too far out of the way to see the Tireman, if not, your local truck tire shop can handle the job.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 133683
Hello Larry Your advice here is always solid. I am better informed because of it.
Costco has intstalled over 6 sets of tires on various vehicles for me. They always have admonished me to stay out of their bays. I don't trust myself enough to instruct or observe if the kit was being installed correctly. My experience with Chuck may have cost me more time and money, but I'm not regretful. I have gained some knowledge.
My primary motivation to use Chuck the Tireman was under the recommendation from Vince at the mothership when I was there for warranty problems.
I follow this forum

What is average MPG of 1977 19' Lazy Daze with a Dodge 360?
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 133698
What should the average MPG be for a 1977 19' Lazy Daze with a Dodge 360 with less than 40,000 miles on it? I assume being that old that it must have a carburator, right?

Thank you.

Steve

Re: What is average MPG of 1977 19' Lazy Daze with a Dodge 360?
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 133699
Yes, any vehicle that old will have a carb -- all the way into the latter part of the 80's -- our '85 has a carb (on the Chevy platform).  As for MPG, I'd guess you'd get somewhere between 7-10MPG but it's a total guess

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 133703
"What should the average MPG be for a 1977 19' Lazy Daze with a Dodge 360 with less than 40,000 miles on it? I assume being that old that it must have a carburator, right?"

Steve
 I agree with Rick about the mileage. 8 MPG would be my guess. No matter how low the miles, it is 35 years old. Parts and mechanics, experienced with antiques, are hard to find, especially the carburetor.
I hope you are capable of working on this yourself and have the good luck not to break down on the road. Make sure you can still buy the correct size tires.
If you have not already bought this piece of history, make sure to have the entire coach and drive train inspected by a highly qualified mechanic(s). A serious flaw, or unavailable part could easily turn this rig into scrap.

Larry
2001 MB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 133704
I agree 100% with Larry on this.. And, in the off-chance you do buy it and you are located in the Los Angeles area I can recommend a carb shop that you might need at some point.. Not a lot of shops want to deal with carbs anymore I suspect..

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 133718
Although good advice, Don't let that scare you If your handy and or resourceful you will be fine. Im not sure where you are from but chassis parts are easy to get here in ca. the Dodge 360 is still well supported, and the 727 trans (great trans btw) is one of the most prolific around, I would guess this will continue for a few more years to come, parts will be avail on eBay for decades. My amc jeep 360 is still supported well! I find rare stuff all the time like dash trim items as nos (new old stock). Also used parts are still an option too! Well for some items. hoarding some rare parts may be an option! I think older ld's are cool, but keep in mind at 30 plus years old it is an Antique, so plan for the worst and hope for the best!
 I choose to think about it this way, we are all at risk every time we get behind the wheel, some of us rely on new stuff and some relay on good maintenance, if your lucky you have both! Just have fun with it.
 Also keep an eye out for a used gear vendors overdrive it will boost your towing capability and add about 2 mpg.  There's one on Craigslist right now near LA. Welcome to the Lazy Daze family.

Sent by wireless

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 133719
Don't be surprised if it only gets 6 mpg, I think a carburated 360 will be greatly affected by load gear ratio and driving habits, without over drive my older coaches were barely able to crack 6.5 mpg, 8 maybe down hill with a tail wind!  but that's just my 2cents.

Sent by wireless

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 133725
And the older coaches don't have the brakes and aren't nearly as crash-worthy as the newer vehicles. I'd suggest spending a few thousand more, if at all possible, and getting a newer one; ie., new enough to have fuel injection - the mpg improvement could "fund" much of the price difference. Even if it means buying an SOB instead of an LD, as the newer Ford chassis are a big improvement over the old Dodge chassis.

Eric Greenwell
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 133734
That's about what our 82 22' gets around town. we've not taken any long highway trips but i'm hoping to squeeze a bit more out of it.
We have a Chevy 250 Michelle Ress

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 133736
Michelle.. You ought to be able to get closer to 8 if you've got the Chevy 350 -- around town.. I've never gotten below 8 in our '85 LD..
Is your '82 new to you -- sounds like it needs a nice road trip! :-)

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 133738
Thank you for all your comments about my question! Does anyone know what year Lazy Daze motorhomes started using fuel injected engines?

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 133739
That type of information is always available in the Files section.  Ford went to throttle body fuel injection in 1988.  Both Ford and Chevrolet went to electronic fuel injection in 1990.

Dick

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 133740
wrote:

That type of information is always available in the Files section.
--- It is, along with links to *many* other files, listings, databases, photos, and assorted resources. Much of the message board's content  can be easily missed if one is unaware of the information sources which are linked from the website, particularly if one is new to the board and is reading the message board posts in the "isolation" of his/her email rather than on the website.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 133741
Thank you for all your comments about my question! Does anyone know what year Lazy Daze motorhomes started using fuel injected engines?
I believe that 1992 was the first year that the Chevy LD with the 350 engine was truly fully fuel injected, earlier chevys had throttle body injection and of course even earlier. carburation.  We have a 1992 LD 22' RB and just got back to NY from a 2000 mile trip around many of the beaches of the South and got 11-12 MPG consistently.  Great state parks from Virginia to Florida with camping within a stones throw of the beach.

Peace, Larry/Bonnie

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 133742

Hello, Multinut. This link will take you to year by year changes in LDs.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 133745
Pre-1991 Chevys have the three speed Turbo 400 transmission, a good trans but one lacking overdrive. 1991 and later models have the 4L80E, 4-speed overdrive trans Which will provide, along with the improved fuel-injection an extra 2-3 MPG.
 It's difficult to compare east coast and west mileage. The west is loaded with steep grades.

Larry
2001 MB