Skip to main content
Topic: Lazy Dazes and Born Frees (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Lazy Dazes and Born Frees
Yahoo Message Number: 57649
We went looking for an RV about two years ago, and I was extremely lucky and found this group. After reading messages for months, I knew that I wanted a Lazy Daze. We again were lucky and found someone near us (we live in Pennsylvania) who was selling their 23 1/2'  TK. We bought it and have loved our camping experiences.

Now, we would like to (somewhere in the future) buy a new 26 1/2'.
We are in no rush. Thought we'd work on paying this one off and saving some money, but the occasional thought of a bigger bathroom does bring tears of joy to my eyes.

Now, my dilemma-the logistics of getting from Pennsylvania to California to look at, buy, and then pick up a Lazy Daze are daunting. Plus, if we would pick up and then make a vacation of traveling cross country home, we would have to ship out caming equipment and figure out how to transport the dog. And, the factory is too far away if something goes wrong with our unit.

Sooo, I will admit to visiting the Born Free website (there is a dealer within two hours of us).

Now onto my questions-am I a traitor for even thinking of a Born Free? Are these units as good as Lazy Dazes? How have others who have bought new Lazy Dazes but live on the East Coast managed the trip?  Most importantly- I look at the Born Free website and happiness doesn't leap out at me-would I be forever sad that I hadn't figured out how to get to California?

Thanks for any input.
Kathy

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Lazy Dazes and Born Frees
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 57650
I don't think you're a traitor at all, I think we should all buy exactly what we want, need and can afford.
 We spent 2 years making our decision, with Born Free definitely in the running,
 For us, we just really liked the look of the Lazy Daze, and the 30TB layout is truly a dream.  Everyone who has seen it is amazed, it is so roomy and still feels comfortable and intimate, functional, solid and unpretentious.

We made this decision fully aware of the limited CCC, and we have weighed it twice since we got it and are still 300 pounds under with a full load (full gas, 1/2 water, empty grey and black), so we're feeling pretty confident.
 Even with the dreaded extra trip to LA to replace the refrigerator, we are still exceptionally pleased.
 That said, if the Born Free matched our needs and wants (an pocketbook) as well as the Lazy Daze, we would have certainly gone with it.  We just didn't like it as well, but that is us.

Happy Motorhome shopping!

Kate in Serenity, the Red 30TB

Re: Lazy Dazes and Born Frees
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 57651
"Now, my dilemma-the logistics of getting from Pennsylvania to California to look at, buy, and then pick up a Lazy Daze are daunting. Plus, if we would pick up and then make a vacation of traveling cross country home, we would have to ship out camping equipment and figure out how to transport the dog. And, the
factory is too far away if something goes wrong with our unit."
 Kathy, you already know what an LD looks like; would you really need to make a trip out to buy?  Attend the NE GTG and look at the variety of floorplans and make your decision that way.  The dog and you all can fly out to pick it up.  Ship the other stuff; you don't really need that much "stuff" even for a leisurely trip home.
Finally, there is nothing that can't be fixed by a good RV repair shop in case something goes wrong.  All the appliances/mechanicals come from outside vendors anyway.

"Sooo, I will admit to visiting the Born Free website (there is a dealer within two hours of us). Now onto my questions-am I a
traitor for even thinking of a Born Free? Are these units as good as Lazy Dazes? How have others who have bought new Lazy Dazes but live on the East Coast managed the trip?  Most importantly- I look at the Born Free website and happiness doesn't leap out at me-would I be forever sad that I hadn't figured out how to get to California?"

Of course you should look at a Born Free.   You will regret not doing that.  It's not an LD, but it's a good rig.  Someone on this LD forum has owned one before an LD.  Perhaps he/she will chime in.

Chris Horst
2002 30' IB
Denver
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 57652
We have looked at both Born Free and Bigfoot.  Both are great units, easier to find, and in some respects, far more advanced than the LD (more sophisticated design and decor, true four season build, etc.).
HOWEVER, no one makes anything like the MB and that is the floorplan that works best for us.  We can't justify a new unit (though we've tried and tried) and living in Idaho puts us, at best, only in the region where LD is most commonly found.  We have been looking seriously for a good used MB for almost a year.  We thought we'd found it but the seller couldn't wait for me to arrive (he sold it for more than we agreed to so I don't really blame him) so back to square one.
 There is something about the LD that no other class c rig offers - a cult following and a certain charm ;o)  Once you're smitten, nothing else will do.

Chris

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Lazy Dazes and Born Frees
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 57656
The LD has a majestic look about it that is not duplicated by any other motorhome.  When you see one on the highway, there is no mistaking it.

Dick

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 57657
Sooo, I will admit to visiting the Born Free website (there is a dealer within two hours of us).

Now onto my questions-am I a traitor for even thinking of a Born Free? Are these units as good as Lazy Dazes? How have others who have bought new Lazy Dazes but live on the East Coast managed the trip?  Most importantly- I look at the Born Free website and happiness doesn't leap out at me-would I be forever sad that I hadn't figured out how to get to California?

Thanks for any input.
Kathy
Kathy, I'm fortunate enough to be 40 minutes away from a Born Free dealership and 90 minutes away from the Lazy Daze factory. It's definitely hard on our gas bill though, simply because we've already made 3 trips to both facilities.  We have decades of 5th wheel experience but zero "C" hours, so it was a matter of finding what best fits our known RV lifestyle.  In retrospect, we probably could have made our decision with a single trip, but we had lots of customizing questions and it wasn't as inconvenient as your situation. Having senior moments doesn'e help either, so I suggest you bring a camera/video camera whenever you shop for an RV and especially when it comes down to making the final choice.
 Bottom line:  We've decided to order our LD some time in mid November for delivery in the early spring.
 As far as your decision, keep in mind that with advance planning, two of you can still get from Philly to the Ontario airport for less than $500 round trip.  Considering the investment involved and the number of years you're going to live with that investment, spending  1-2% of the total investment to fully explore your options is a small price to pay. Especially considering the cost differential between a BF and an LD.

I've haunted the BF and the LD forums ever since we sold our 5'er, and talked to both factories several times.  My overall impression of LD is that they provide a unit that is overall best prepared for experienced RV'ers and requires very little post purchase "futzing" followed by superb customer service after you buy it.  The BF definitely has a more "modern" interior and is far more open to customer modifications, but it is also much closer to exceeding rear axle capacities and IMHO the much greater price difference is difficult to justify.  What is worrisome, the BF factory sales force reminds me more of a regular production RV sales force.  Slow to respond, little follow up, and changing customization costs, depending upon who one talks to.  Does customer service reflect this attitude?  Dunno. There are a couple of vocally dissatisfied BF owners, but I've not yet read of an LD owner with customer service issues.

Re: Lazy Daze and Born Free
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 57659
"gimel55" wrote:

Born Free? Are these units as good as Lazy Dazes?
Born Free makes a quality product.  Many people find the fabrics and wood finishes of the BF interiors to be more attractive than LD.
However, the BF designs have smaller windows, and feel smaller inside as a result.
 Both BF and LD offer Rear Bath models in the 26ft length. BF offers a variation of the Multiplan layout that was popular in LDs during the 1980's. LD offers the Mid-Bath layout, where the bath separates sleeping quarters in the front and rear.  The Mid-Bath also features huge windows on all three sides of the rear, making a very pleasant place to sit during the day. This design has proven to be LD's most popular floorplan.
 The Lazy Daze designers care a lot about building a coach that handles well.  If you visit the factory, you can take a test drive that will leave you with sweaty palms, and an understanding that an LD coach is safe in the most demanding emergency maneuvers.

If you plan to camp away from organized campgrounds, you'll be interested to know that the BF fresh water tank is 35 gallons, while LD can carry 60 gallons.
 The BF price for a 26ft coach is $20,000 more than LD.  That's pretty outrageous when you consider that this figure does not include the generator, coach air conditioning and TV that are standard in LD's models.  So expect to pay at least $25,000 more for a comparably-equipped BF.

Unfortunately, the high price of the BF evaporates through depreciation.  Five year old LDs and BFs are about the same price.
 While you may be far from the factory, you're always among friends in this newsgroup.  That's an advantage BF will never have.

--oryoki

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 57661
And this is another one of my problems-everyone on this forum is so nice and willing to help. How could I not go with a Lazy Daze-this forum is like a Lazy Daze costumer service center (Steve might not agree).
 Everyone is helping me lean toward my original plan. Save, save, save, and then husband and dog rent a car and drive out to California (with our stuff), while daughter and I fly.

I know I should get to a Lazy Daze get together. My problem is that you guys meet in Septmeber when I am at my busiest at work-I am hoping to get to one sometime in the future. Like I said-no need to rush, we love our unit (squishy bathroom and all).

Thanks to everyone for the responses.
Kathy

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Lazy Dazes and Born Frees
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 57662
The LD has a majestic look about it that is not duplicated by any other motorhome.  When you see one on the highway, there is no mistaking
it.

Dick
Speaking of looks, when I see a Born Free, it reminds me of a Star Wars space vehicle. There are all these convolutions and things sticking out here and there. Okay, maybe an exageration, but it certainly doesn't have the LD's smooth and space effecient lines.

LD includes as standard things that some manufacturers call "options". Stuff like a genset and awning. Some, like Winnebago, even put the AC into the options column. Then the sneaky little devils conveiniently list the coach weight without options, people, and fluids. I wouldn't be surprised if they filled with helium before weighing too. By the time load them for camping, they're well over gross.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 57666
We went looking for an RV about two years ago, and I was extremely lucky and found this group. After reading messages for months, I knew that I wanted a Lazy Daze. We again were lucky and found someone near us (we live in Pennsylvania) who was selling their 23 1/2'  TK. We bought it and have loved our camping experiences.

Now, we would like to (somewhere in the future) buy a new 26 1/2'.
We are in no rush. Thought we'd work on paying this one off and saving some money, but the occasional thought of a bigger bathroom does bring tears of joy to my eyes.

Now, my dilemma-the logistics of getting from Pennsylvania to California to look at, buy, and then pick up a Lazy Daze are daunting. Plus, if we would pick up and then make a vacation of traveling cross country home, we would have to ship out caming equipment and figure out how to transport the dog. And, the factory is too far away if something goes wrong with our unit.

Thanks for any input.
Kathy
Hello Kathy, We have owned both Born Free and Lazy Daze.  Suggest you search on Born Free in the archived message database, as I have posted several detailed messages of comparison on this bb in years past.

A few items in update of the above: The Born Free is targeted at the top of the line niche market for Class C motorhomes - like those who are aging and want to move down from luxury diesel pushers without giving up any of the interior appearance and comfort features.  So, you'll see the Born Free has soft surface (Ozite) ceilings and walls, day/night shades, convection / microwave ovens, a variety of furniture wood interior finishes and leather variations available, etc.  These features are more directed at the previous owners of large deluxe motorhomes than they are at the general Class C market. They offer both the stock prebuilt coach that is fairly well loaded, with a list price from dealers and a set price from the factory in Iowa.  Both have had a mechanism to handle (sell) a new customer's existing motorhome.

The Born Free is not designed with features to specifically address the boondocking market.  Born Free is somewhat over designed for heating and cooling.  The Born Free has fewer joints in its exterior and in general, is designed to depend less on sealants.  The upper fiberglass cap, for instance, overlaps the fiberglass sides by a couple of inches.  Born Free has one piece tubular steel roll bars, floor to ceiling to floor, which have been proven in accidents, and as you know, they do advertise their no fatality 36 year history.
Though smaller in interior cubes, the std Born Free furnace is larger than the LD furnace.  Heating and cooling of the Born Free is more capable than that of the std LD in extreme temperatures and the interior is a bit quieter.  Some Born Frees are narrower than the LD and that was noticeable in our city driving.

LD has more interior space and the large LD windows make scenic camping incomparable.  LD is undoubtedly king in boondocking.  LD has a more intelligent design for almost all interior features, not the least of which is the galley area, where everything just plain `works' for convenience.  Both LD and Born Free have constantly incorporated design improvements into their production.  Were I to recommend a used purchase of a Born Free or a LD, I'd pick one of the V10 models in excellent condition.

Basically, if you closely analyze your future RV camping / driving plans, you will probably find your optimum happiness with your future RV is not as dependant on price but rather your planned use.
If your planned use is `off the design point' of the RV you buy, you will not get maximum enjoyment from it and will of necessity be living with a compromise.  It is my opinion that a used RV that is `on the design point' for your planned use will be far more satisfying than a new RV that just misses it.  I believe it is the analysis of your planned use which optimally determines how Happy you will be with your selection (of a Born Free or a LD or a Big Foot or a Coach House Platinum).  Perhaps moving to a used one if the optimum unit is a more expensive one.  (My next car will likely be a Lexus 430 and it will not be a new one.)

Factory support of the LD is outstanding and always accessible to owners.  Many Born Free owners, ourself included, liked the factory led caravans and the factory led central parking and barbeques at FMCA meets.  (With only 6% of FMCA members driving Class C's, you really feel alone there in almost any other class C.)  I found factory support of the Born Free to be acceptable.  Warranty parts, and later on, any needed parts for purchase were available and essentially equally so with respect to LD.

If you have the chance, tour both the Born Free factory in Iowa and the LD factory in California.  I'll say no more than than your eyes will open wide - very wide.
 Well, there you have it.  One bifurcated owners opinion.  In the end result, you pays your money and you makes your choice.  My sincere best wishes on success with your decision.

Don McG 2001 LD MB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 57668
Now onto my questions-am I a traitor for even thinking of a Born Free? Are these units as good as Lazy Dazes?

Lazy Daze and Born Free are two of only three Class C's that get RVCG's
5-star rating.

We didn't look at Born Free when we were considering a Class C mainly because Earl doesn't like the looks of them from the outside.  Plus, at the time, they weren't making a wide-body (I think they are now).  They also didn't have a floorplan we liked (we wanted the rear windows like those in the 23.5' TK or 26.5' MB).  Finally, they were quite a bit more expensive than a similar Lazy Daze.  You could buy a lot of airline tickets, pay for a motel room, and ship out camping gear to the Mothership for the difference in price between the two!

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK

From Little Crater Campground
Newberry NVM

See where we are: http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=1167
Linda Hylton

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 57674
In November, 2003, We checked out Born Free at BF's Florida sales outlet 100 miles from our home because it IS a 5-star-rated coach.
Then we flew to CA, checked out Lazy Daze and ordered our 2004 26.5 MB.
 Why?  Our assessment was that Born Free cost about $10,000 more for the same size and configuration, was smaller inside, had a less desirable floor plan and did not drive/handle as well as Lazy Daze.  It did have much glitzier interior fit, finish and fittings and a fiberglass exterior, none of which we thought was worth the extra $$$.

Now onto my questions-am I a traitor for even thinking of a Born Free? Are these units as good as Lazy Dazes?

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 57675
Additional observations:
 We shipped about 10 cartons of stuff direct from our FL home to Lazy Daze for under $400. We also brought our cat with us on the plane.

The trip from CA back to FL was a great first RV trip.

Early on, in St. George Utah, we had the oil changed and the coach aligned and also had a Safe-t-plus and Tire Man's valves installed.
All the work was done by Dixie Tire, a quality front end and tire shop in St George, Utah. I also would have had Dixie install heavy duty IPD sway bars at the same time, had I then known how much they improved our LD's handling.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 57687
Hi!

Take a look again in Born Free's site, specifications area. Their fresh water capacity is 35 gal. (26 footer). LD's have 58 to 60 gals fresh water tanks. This is a HUGE difference if you think, even eventually, to boondock.
LD's depreciate less, too. These two aspects, IMHO, are sufficiently strong to not consider a BF.
 These are FACTS, put in an absolutely cold blooded, non emotional way, as I ALLWAYS do.
 Now, how can you even THINK not to buy the absolutely best motorhome in the whole world ? LD's are unique in their character and their owners are the greatest bunch of people !!! How do you DARE to not give our group the pleasure of your presence in the GTG's? I'm going to travel 12 thousand miles to Montclair to buy mine! ;-)

Eudoro "iceman" Lemos, Jr.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 57688
A thank you to everyone who posted. Each of you confirmed what I already knew in my heart-when we decide to buy a bigger RV, it will be a Lazy Daze. My entire family loves the windows and the overall feeling of roominess that our present model has. Our current unit is of the highest quality, and the few times I have had to call the factory (we broke a light cover and needed a replacemen) the people there have been wonderful.
 Thanks so much to everyone who respnded. Now, I just need to get to a LD get-together to see those 26 1/1' midbaths.

Thank you again.
Kathy

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 57690
Hi, Kathy,
 We're East Coasters (MA) who purchased a new LD in 2002.  We did some of the things that you mention in your post. First of all, we ordered ours without making a trip to the factory.  A gamble on our part, we realized, but we were pretty confident in our choice of model.  As you'd like to do, we made the journey home a major cross-country trip of 6 weeks.  In preparation, we shipped 6 large boxes of gear from our old truck camper to the factory a few weeks before our pickup.  We didn't have a pet to worry about, though.  There must be a way to get the pooch out there with you - I'd hate to have that be the sole reason for not getting your LD.
 As for service, not a problem.  Of course, all your appliances and the chassis are warranteed by the manufacturers, and you just deal with them, if necessary.  As for the coach, LD will take of you wherever you are.  Our first experience with LD service came just a few days after we picked it up.  We were in Utah when we discovered a crack in a cab-over window.  I emailed Steve Newton, who told me to let him know when we got home and he'd ship us a new window and pay for its installation.  Whenever you have any question, the LD family is right there to answer it.
 We had looked briefly at BF, but the price and those inward-sloping walls were a deterrent.  We're so glad we discovered LD, and even more glad that we now have one.
 So just figure out how to get the canine there and you'll be all set.  Good luck.

Ted H.
'02 FL  NE-12

Now onto my questions-am I a traitor for even thinking of a Born Free? Are these units as good as Lazy Dazes? How have others who have bought new Lazy Dazes but live on the East Coast managed the trip?  Kathy

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 57696
Hi Kathy,
 I have a 2004 26.5MB and live in Hampton, NH and Naples, FL! I looked for TEN YEARS for an acceptable RV, i.e. one that didn't lose 50% of its purchase price in the first year of ownership and one that didn't require multiple hundred-mile trips to the factory for ongoing repairs like leaks, delaminating and slide malfunctions that plague other makes.

Once I found New Horizons and Lazy Daze (the only fifth wheel and class C motorhome that rated five stars from the RV Consumer Group) I knew my search was over. We decided on a motorhome and and took the Lazy Daze plunge. We flew from BOS to Ontario in April 2004 to visit the factory and six months later, we positioned a car at our FL winter home and flew to ONT to pick up the rig. Jean Luc, our toy poodle made his first flight with us and all went very well. The cost was negligible if considered as part of the purchase price.
 We purposly decided to remain in CA for a week to shake down the rig and it was a good decision. Besides enjoying a week in the Chula Vista RV resort we developed a fridge problem (it stopped switching to AC when it was available) and stopped in Montclair on the way home where LD replaced the unit cheerfully in about two hours. Since pickup in October 2004 the only other problem we had was a noisy Suburban heater. The blower unit was replaced at no cost, under warranty, by Southern NH RV.
 Don't forget that most of the things that fail in RV's are components that are warranted and repairable nationally. I have no regrets about having purchased an LD.

If you can make it, the Northeast LD group is having our Fall get-together at the North Beach Park Municipal CG in Burlington, VT from September 29 to October 2nd. There will be 20-30 rigs in attendance and no one is prouder to show off his rig than an LD owner.
Friday and Saturday mornings before 10:30 will be the best time to visit. It will be the peak of foliage season in northern Vermont so if this will work for you make your plans now. E-mail me if you have any questions about the gathering.

Paul NE 50

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 57699
Kathy,

I have a couple of ideas for you to consider.
 First,  The Northeast Lazy Daze Group is having a rally in Burlington, VT this Fall.  On Saturday morning, October 1 from around 9-10 any Wannabees are welcome to come in and check out our rigs.  So far we have 27 registered, probably covering most if not all of the floor plans. You could also talk to other LD owners about our experiences dealing with service and how we all got to the factory to pick up our rigs if we bought them new. If you are interested in this option e mail me off site at hlhuyffer at aol.com for more info.  In fact, since you have an LD now you would be welcome to join us for the whole rally 9/29-10/2 if you want. The foliage should be just about peaking around then.

Second, when we decided we wanted to buy a Lazy Daze I posted a message on this board asking if anyone nearby had a Mid Bath they were willing to show us.  We found one a couple of hours away, loved it and ordered one over the phone.
 We have two very large dogs (about 300 pounds total and at the time we also had a 17 year old diabetic cat that needed insulin every day.  We shipped out to Lazy Daze a box or two of stuff we would need right away and didn't want to buy out there.  Other stuff we wanted to have for the vacation that we were going to make of the trip home we packed in the boxes that supermarkets get bananas in.  We rented a minivan and "removed" the seats (they were attached by cable but we could move them and stand them on their edges).  We covered most of the floor with one layer of the banana boxes with the stronger side up and covered them with a scrap piece of carpet to give the dogs better footing.  We shock corded the cat's litter box on top of one of the "removed" seats, put cereal and snacks and paper goods in a box and also a collapsibe cooler behind the front seats.  We stashed dog and cat food in nooks and crannies and our clothes for the trip were in soft duffle bags that filled in around the edge of the banana boxes.
When we left PA and no longer needed the EZPass my husband handed it to me and asked me to stash it somewhere and we couldn't find anyplace to put it.  We literally had something everywhere that was available.

We had AAA Tour Guides so we knew where pets were welcome and each night when we figured out how much further we wanted to drive we'd call ahead on the cell phone to check for a vacancy and exact directions.  We left the cat in the car overnight and took the dogs up to the motel room.
 In our case, we only had to drive to Jackson Hole, WY, where our two kids live and return the minivan, give the dogs to our daughter, the cat to our son, pack up enough clothes for a few days and fly to Ontario.  We got there a day early, rented a car, shopped at the Ontario Mall and nearby Camping World for stuff we wanted to have like pillows that were too bulky to pack, returned the car the next morning and someone from Lazy Daze picked us up at the rental company.
 If we had had to bring the animals all the way to the factory we would have kept the rental car until after the orientation so the animals would have had a place to stay and returned it on the way out of town.
 It may sound like a hassle but it was totally doable and totally worth it and we wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again if we had to.

Good Luck.

Helen

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 57700
Okay, okay, after listening to all of your stories I have come to realize one thing-LD owners are tough cookies. Since I don't want to go down in Lazy Daze history as "Kathy, the Pennsylvanian weenie, who couldn't figure out how to make it to California," I will find a way.
And although I can't make it to Vermont this year (I have a church commitment that week-end, and I can't take off from work this month), I will keep my eyes open for the spring get-together.

Thanks again for all of your input-I am amazed at the creativity of this group.

Kathy

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 57702
Although I can't make it to Vermont this year (I have a church

commitment that week-end, and I can't take off from work this month), I will keep my eyes open for the spring get-together.
Most of us are gong to the Golden Caravan in Wyoming at the end of June, so there probably won't be a spring event.  There is talk of caravanning out there together -- perhaps we'll swing past your house on our way west.

Joanne in Boston 1994 teal TK NE-44

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 57864
"would I be forever sad that I hadn't figured out how to get to California?"
 I'm catching up on old messages, so someebody may have mentioned this, but just in case...bear in mind that LD will reimburse up to $250 (as I recall) of your travel expenses to visit the factory, if you place an order within 30 days of visiting. Check with them for the exact details.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"