Skip to main content
Topic: Unfortunate Timing for Pickup (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Unfortunate Timing for Pickup
Yahoo Message Number: 57598
Just when they're asking everyone to conserve gasoline, we have to use many gallons of it - my sister and I pick up our new MB on Thurs 8 Sept.  We will depart PA on Sunday in our Ford van, drive like the wind to CA, leaving the dog in Vegas on the way; take delivery at LD, then back to Vegas to reclaim the dog, and spend the first night at Nellis AFB FamCamp, and leave the van in RV storage there.  Then we will return to PA in the new LD in a more leisurely fashion, to enjoy the fall months where they are most beautiful.
When the snow inevitably comes, it'll be back to San Diego for the winter, unless the gasoline supply completely dries up.   The cost of gasoline doesn't worry me as much as the availability of it.  Somebody please tell me it'll all be OK...I feel guilty using so much when so many people have lost everything.

Re: Unfortunate Timing for Pickup
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 57599
"...and spend the first night at Nellis AFB FamCamp, and leave

the van in RV storage there... unless the gasoline supply
completely dries up.

Anne

Anne

I'll promise you the moon! But seriously, do it now while you still can. We only go this way once and if circumstance permits I'll damn well do it my way.

What's the Air Force connection? I'm retired MC/AF.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 57600

What's the Air Force connection? I'm retired MC/AF.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Retired US Army Medical Service Corps - "box kicker" (medical logistics) - retired almost 12 yrs ago.  Air Force Bases have nicer facilities and are more conveniently located!

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 57601
Retired US Army Medical Service Corps - "box kicker" (medical
logistics) -

retired almost 12 yrs ago.  Air Force Bases have nicer facilities
and are more

conveniently located!
Anne

Hooorahhh! We're birds of a feather.

I retired AF in '74, had to go to work for a living and retired again in '94. Yeah, I know, double dipping and all that stuff...
Never had a chance to kick any boxes.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Unfortunate Timing for Pickup
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 57602
At 10:29 PM 9/2/2005 +0000, you wrote:

Somebody please tell me it'll all be OK...I feel guilty using so much when so many people have lost everything.
Well, one way to look at it is that you won't be using heating oil, natural gas, or anything else like that while you're in your shiny new RV. So you'll be "conserving" related resources while you are using gasoline.
 As for feeling guilty, yes, the timing is bad for any of us who have a scrap of anything left. I feel guilty, and I'm not taking my LD anywhere for at least a month or two. Just having a roof over my head and fresh water to drink makes me feel vaguely bad. I sent a generous contribution to the Humane Association (they are doing animal rescue stuff in the area hit by the hurricane), and my husband did the same at Rotary. We all do what we can, and I know we are all thankful that we are able to.

Sonsie