Skip to main content
Topic: OT Interesting travelogue in spanish (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
OT Interesting travelogue in spanish
Yahoo Message Number: 57552
I have come across a really interesting travel website from an Argentinian couple who are driving from their country at the tip of South America to Alaska in a Land Rover.  She is a teacher and pretty good photographer and they have a well done website.  Currently they are in Nicaraugua.

A possible problem is that the site is in spanish. It dawned on me though that there are several people on this forum that read spanish and others might appreciate the pictures.

Eudoro, I know your native language is portuguese but I wondered if you are perhaps as fluent in spanish as you are in english?  This couple came up the west coast of South America so they did not go through Brazil... perhaps they will return that way.

Jonna in Tortuga, 2001 Teal RB find us here http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1013

OT Interesting travelogue in spanish
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 57559
I took a look at the site just for curiosity and it has an 'english version' you can click on for translation of the text.

Doris

Re: OT Interesting travelogue in spanish
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 57565

".....Eudoro, I know your native language is portuguese but I
wondered if

you are perhaps as fluent in spanish as you are in english?  This couple came up the west coast of South America so they did not go through Brazil... perhaps they will return that way......."
Jonna:
 I'm not fluent in spanish, but I can read, understand and make myself understood, as I also can do (a little better) in french and italian.
There are two interesting things about spanish and portuguese languages: They are more different than normally everibody (including us and hispanics)imagine at first.

And whom speaks portuguese understands reasonably well (with the exception of some words there are completely different) spanish-speaking persons, but the reverse is not true, and nobody knows why...

I will read this travelogue and comment it as soon as possible.

One previous comment: the Brasil-Argentina trip, visiting Buenos Aires, Argentina's capital, which is a very beautiful, european-flair city, then going west till the wine producing province of Mendoza, then the crossing of the Andes, (with passes around 10000 feet, dangerous and beautiful) to Chile, then going "upwards" trhough Chile, is a fantastic, marvelous trip. And it can be done by any 2WD, including LD's. It's the more common way to go to and from North America.

You'll allways need the help of a freight ship: You can't cross the Darien forest, (even if one group of Land Rovers driven by pros and semipros did it years ago, after months of fighting)if you go the Pacific way. It's a short trip by sea.

Going from Brasil, you could go all the way to Belem, in the Amazon area, then catch a cargo ship to Florida. It's a much longer ship transportation.

In my opinion, the ideal round trip starting in America would be go "down" in the Pacific route till Patagonia and "up" in the uruguayan and then brasilian Atlantic route. The most interesting brasilian route is to go almost all the way near the coast (5 thousand miles mostly of beautiful beaches) with two or three westwards and back detours.

Cheers,

Eudoro

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 57613
That is fascinating Eudoro. I watched a group of Brazilians at the Cancun airport once, communicating with the airlines, and it seemed that they did understand what was said to them but they got a bit of the blank stare back from the spanish speaking airline people.  I wondered about it at the time but my spanish was limited and I could not understand their portuguese at all.
 We have some friends who spent 8 months traveling in the southern part of South America in a Westphalia van.  They crossed the Aticama (where there has never been any recorded rainfall) and the mountains between Chile and Argentina.  It was a memorable trip but they did not get north of Uruguay and they now say that they want to return but will not drive.  The distances are so great that they said it was almost unsurmountable, at times they went 3 days without seeing another vehicle. Your mention of the 5000 mile coastline of Brazil brought that back to me, I think we don't realize how huge South America is and how great the distances are.  I'd love to take our Lazy Daze there and I think it would be an excellent vehicle for that trip but I fear it would be the end of Tortuga and I'm not ready for that. It's a dream though...

Jonna in Tortuga, 2001 Teal RB find us here http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1013

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 57622
SA is not just huge but also far away.  It took me 24 hours to get to Chile from San Francisco in 1985 (and geographically surprised that we went through Miami) on my way to investigate the huge earthquake there.
 Kathleen, our oldest daughter (Kathleen Jr) and I travelled Argentina, Chile, etc, some years later (long before we ever considered a motor home).  (See Kathleen Jr's latest adventures at www. Hopalog.com )

The Missiones (sp?) Provence in Argentina was most interesting... particularly seeing how historically accurate the movie "The Mission" was, and the southern islands in Chile that remind you of Scotland are a treasure... and a 24 hour train ride to get there from Santiago (Chile is a VERY long country).  I quit smoking cold turkey on a Thursday on the train ride north to Santiago and for many years Kathleen and I celebrated that every Thursday with lunch at ZZAs restaurant by Lake Merrit in Oakland....

SA should be much more of a US tourist destination than it is...

best,  paul