Skip to main content
Topic: rust spots on exterior (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
rust spots on exterior
Yahoo Message Number: 57372
Hi-I just purchased a 90-LD very well kept. It does have some rust spots on the paint--bubbling which indicated serious rust underneath.
Anyone having this problem, and a good fix?-- Surprised this happened to aluminum---Thanks so much--Roger

Re: rust spots on exterior
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 57388
Roger, congrats on your purchase.  I hope you got a good deal because the "rust" spots can be expensive to repair.  Let me digress just a bit.  First Lazy Daze coach's are and were made of an aluminum skin.
The "rust" spots or bubbling is actually a sign of electrolysis.  This is a seperation at the base level of the aluminum caused by continued exposure to water.  There are many folks on this site who have a better technical knowledge of aluminum electrolysis than I however I am dealing with it as well (wished I new this prior to purchase) however, ...  My recommendation is that you look below the surface of the aluminum to locate the cause (Why was water getting to raw aluminum?)of the bubbling or electrolysis.  Fix the root cause and then look at the exterior.  There is one other way water could have come in constant contact with the aluminum (pray for this cause) that of a scratch through the paint that allowed water to penetrate.

Budgeting for a fix
1. Budget is funded by the US military (remember the movie "Stripes")  Strip the coach and cab from the frame completely then do a frame off  restoration.

2. Budget funded by "The average guy RV show"  Strip the exterior panels from the coach section and repair any  underlying problems that would allow water penetration so the problem  recured.  Repair affected exterior body panels by using a grinder and  fiberglass filler then repaint to standard for that year using the  cheapest paint process possible, just make it look good.

3. Budget funded by you me or many other average RV owners
 Locate the cause of the electrolysis (bubbles) and make the necessary repairs.  Then when you hit the lottery have the exterior repaired and repaint the whole coach.  OH and based on cost have all windows roof panels and exterior seams resealed at the same time as the cost is negligable compared with the costs of not taking care of the coach.

Good luck

Chris

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: rust spots on exterior
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 57390
Thank you for the input-its right at the top towards the front over the cab, so maybe a small leak at the roof edge--Thanks
 cmkh30428 cmkh3@...> wrote:Roger, congrats on your purchase.  I hope you got a good deal because the "rust" spots can be expensive to repair.  Let me digress just a bit.  First Lazy Daze coach's are and were made of an aluminum skin.
The "rust" spots or bubbling is actually a sign of electrolysis.  This is a seperation at the base level of the aluminum caused by continued exposure to water.  There are many folks on this site who have a better technical knowledge of aluminum electrolysis than I however I am dealing with it as well (wished I new this prior to purchase) however, ...  My recommendation is that you look below the surface of the aluminum to locate the cause (Why was water getting to raw aluminum?)of the bubbling or electrolysis.  Fix the root cause and then look at the exterior.  There is one other way water could have come in constant contact with the aluminum (pray for this cause) that of a scratch through the paint that allowed water to penetrate.

Budgeting for a fix
1. Budget is funded by the US military (remember the movie "Stripes")  Strip the coach and cab from the frame completely then do a frame off  restoration.

2. Budget funded by "The average guy RV show"  Strip the exterior panels from the coach section and repair any  underlying problems that would allow water penetration so the problem  recured.  Repair affected exterior body panels by using a grinder and  fiberglass filler then repaint to standard for that year using the  cheapest paint process possible, just make it look good.

3. Budget funded by you me or many other average RV owners
 Locate the cause of the electrolysis (bubbles) and make the necessary repairs.  Then when you hit the lottery have the exterior repaired and repaint the whole coach.  OH and based on cost have all windows roof panels and exterior seams resealed at the same time as the cost is negligable compared with the costs of not taking care of the coach.

Good luck

Chris

Hi-I just purchased a 90-LD very well kept. It does have some rust spots on the paint--bubbling which indicated serious rust underneath.
Anyone having this problem, and a good fix?-- Surprised this happened to aluminum---Thanks so much--Roger
SPONSORED LINKS Lazy daze Recreational vehicles Automotive maintenance Recreational vehicle dealer Used recreational vehicles Automotive radiators

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: rust spots on exterior
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 57394
Roger, If it is right at a roof seam you might be able to resolve the leak by using eternabond sealant tape.  I would recommend however that in addition you look with