Skip to main content
Topic: Water, water everywhere but... (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Water, water everywhere but...
Yahoo Message Number: 57343
Well, it looks like I get to join all you good folks out there who have had the pleasure (?) of changing out the old water pump.

Came in from a three day ramble, parked the Lazy Bones in the drive and went inside for dinner. About two hours later I came outside only to find water cascading from under the rig like Niagra Falls.
Upon further inspection found the water tank/water pump area (30'IB) under the bed flooded and the carpet saturated. Estimated there may have been as much as 30 gallons in the tank and now there was less than half that.

Initial half hearted attempts at troubleshooting indicated that the pump would not come on when a faucet was opened. No surprise there! The fuse was good and 12v was present both sides of the fuse. To heck with it, tomorrow's another day.

This morning filled the tank (no leaks there) and turned on the pump. From the monitor panel in the kitchen I could hear water gushing in the bedroom. A flashlight and inspection mirror showed that there was water, in large quantities, coming out of the head end of the pump. Naught to do but shut it all down, drain the tank and go in the house to call the Mother Ship. The new pump will be here next week.

Ain't the RV life a lot of fun???

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Re: Water, water everywhere but...
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 57350
Well, it looks like I get to join all you good folks out there who have had the pleasure (?) of changing out the old water pump.

Came in from a three day ramble, parked the Lazy Bones in the drive and went inside for dinner. About two hours later I came outside only to find water cascading from under the rig like Niagra Falls.
Upon further inspection found the water tank/water pump area
(30'IB)

under the bed flooded and the carpet saturated. Estimated there may have been as much as 30 gallons in the tank and now there was less than half that.

Initial half hearted attempts at troubleshooting indicated that the pump would not come on when a faucet was opened. No surprise
there!

The fuse was good and 12v was present both sides of the fuse. To heck with it, tomorrow's another day.

This morning filled the tank (no leaks there) and turned on the pump. From the monitor panel in the kitchen I could hear water gushing in the bedroom. A flashlight and inspection mirror showed that there was water, in large quantities, coming out of the head end of the pump. Naught to do but shut it all down, drain the tank and go in the house to call the Mother Ship. The new pump will be here next week.

Ain't the RV life a lot of fun???

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Sorry to hear of your troubles Steve. The only solace I can offer is that changing out the pump for me was a snap and that's saying something as I am not the most adept handyman.

Good luck and good camping.

Dave

Ruby the red 04 RK now only a wife's wakeup from heading to God's
country - the Rockies {C'mon Kristine, you can sleep on the LD
couch  :-)}
Dave

2017 TK

Re: Water, water everywhere but... - to Steve S.
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 57367
..."A flashlight and inspection mirror showed that there was water, in large quantities, coming out of the head end of the pump. Naught to do but shut it all down, drain the tank and go in the house to call the Mother Ship. The new pump will be here next week..."

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve, can you be more specific about what failed on your water pump? Anything that could have prevented the blowout?

I installed the West Marine halogen lamps yesterday.   Easy enough even for a non-techie like me.  They look great and will meet our needs exactly.

Chris Horst
2002 30' IB
Denver
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: Water, water everywhere but... - to Steve S.
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 57375
"Steve, can you be more specific about what failed on your water
pump?

Anything that could have prevented the blowout?"

"I installed the West Marine halogen lamps yesterday.  Easy enough even for a non-techie like me.  They look great and will meet our needs exactly."

Chris Horst 2002 30' IB Denver
Chris

Haven't removed the bad pump as yet, will wait until arrival of the replacement. Observation indicated copious amounts of water flowing out from underside of pump head. Have to presume that the transducer or the diaphragm are faulty. Factory (Vince) says they want the old one back when I get it replaced.

Glad you are pleased with the new lamps. I sure like mine, so much better than the old things.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Re: Water, water everywhere but.../Update
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 57641
"Well, it looks like I get to join all you good folks out there
who have had the pleasure (?) of changing out the old water pump."

"Ain't the RV life a lot of fun???"

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
All and sundry,

No more flooding! Factory said they'd send new pump on Friday, new pump arrived Tuesday, installed by Wednesday, tested and monitored Thursday and Friday. Old pump ready to go back to Mother Ship ASAP.

I can live without those kinds of mishaps. Hope I get some feedback on the exact cause of failure. At least there was no staining of the carpet. Can only hope that floor does not delaminate under the carpet. I could be mistaken but it seems like the new pump is a lot quieter than the old one was.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!