Skip to main content
Topic: Hitting the road (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Hitting the road
Yahoo Message Number: 57273
The house is 95 percent packed up and ready for our tenants and we are ready (I hope) to hit the road full time for at least a year(the length of the lease).

We are still researching what brands of towing and braking systems to install--but if I haven't decided by Labor Day we may start out with two drivers--one in the LD and one in the toad.

Since I'm still getting used to driving a MH the thought of another 10 feet of equipment and vehicle behind feels a bit intimidating.
Not to mention that here in LA I'm getting quotes close to $3,000 to install tow equipment and a braking system.
 Has anyone ever gone the caravaning route?--one driver in the MH and one in the toad. We could probably do that for a couple of years before the cost of the gas equaled the cost of installing all the tow equipment.

See you on the road.

Kent and Sue 2000 RK HPY DZRS

Re: Hitting the road
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 57278
here in LA I'm getting quotes close to $3,000 to

install tow equipment and a braking system.
That's not an unrealistic price, Kent. My package was just over $3K, and when I added the Guardian Shield to protect the toad, the total package of tow bar, base plates, tow brake in toad & controls in LD, and shield,  the total came to $3516... some done by CW & some by "The RV Guy" (Mike Sylvester).

David

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 57289
* Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain tow bar + all chains & accessories * Base plates fitted to Honda CRV * U.S. Gear tow brake * brake lights wired & booster wired in * Roadmaster Guardian Shield & stow-a-way to protect the toad

Now that I've experienced this combination, I'd never have anything else. I'm completely satisfied with the config.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 57306
Kent and Sue,

I can't speak for others, but we tried the 'Caravan' twice and decided it was not the way to go.
 We were going to state parks only an hour or two away both times, and had activities planned that required transportation.  So Martha drove our pickup there and I drove the RV.
 It worked fine, but we both agreed that it really detracted from the pleasure of RV travel.  It was difficult to point out items of interest (even with unlimited cell phone usage), and no discussions along the way.
 We decided we'd rather just take the trouble to use the LD as our on- site transportation

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 57359
"Has anyone ever gone the caravaning route?--one driver in the MH and one in the toad."
 Lots of people do it, including Gertie's former owners, Gary and Judie. It has its pluses and minuses, but it certainly is less expensive and complicated than fitting a car for towing.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Hitting the road
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 57312
I can't speak for others, but we tried the 'Caravan' twice and decided it was not the way to go.

I agree.  We've done this on occasion, one of the longest being from Quartzsite to Alamogordo when we were trying to rack up miles before having our tow system installed.  We have radios that we use to keep in touch, but it's just not a fun way to travel...I want to be able to reach over and thump Earl up long side the head occasionally! :-)

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK
From Sundance Meadows
Bend, OR

See where we are: http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=1167
Linda Hylton

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Hitting the road
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 57332
On Aug 26, 2005, at 7:47 AM, Linda Hylton wrote:

We have radios that we use to keep in touch, but it's just not a fun way to travel...I want to be able to reach over and thump Earl up long side the head occasionally! :-)
I'm enjoying morning guffaws visualizing Earl's head being thumped! You go girl!!  Thump him one for me too!

Lorna
2003 RB