Skip to main content
Topic: For those worried about water infiltration due to end cap problems (Read 18 times) previous topic - next topic
For those worried about water infiltration due to end cap problems
Yahoo Message Number: 57267
Steve Newton assured me in a phone call an hour ago that you could remove the end caps, let your LD sit in a driving rain for days and you would not get water inside. After that, I asked if they were simply cosmetic and he said no, he wouldn't say that - they are an integral part of the rig but....I'm still not sure if I "got" what he was telling me here.
 Well anyway, he recommended that if I was coming out that way anytime soon, that having them do some work on Ruby would be the best thing but since I am 1500 miles away, the jamming the caulk into the crack at a not too hot and not too cold time {not fully expanded or fully contracted} would be best. Work the caulk into the crack with your finger - back and forth and back and forth - lay more on there, work it in back and forth and back and forth. If done right, it has adhesive qualities and it will bond the pieces together. It will not look all that great since the "bend at eye level" is a painted area. HOWEVER, I

NOTICED THAT BIG STRETCH COMES IN COLORS INCLUDING A SHADE OF RED.
 The PR-255 will only expand and contract about 1/8th of an inch so I think I will definitely try and get some Big Stretch as the gaps that I

have expand and contract quite a bit more than that.

Anyway, I feel much better about not having to worry about water infiltration. I can live with a little cosmetic issue.

Dave

Ruby the red 04 RK
Dave

2017 TK

Re: end cap problems - Big Stretch not for RV's?!
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 57269
HOWEVER,

I NOTICED THAT BIG STRETCH COMES IN COLORS INCLUDING A SHADE OF RED.

The PR-255 will only expand and contract about 1/8th of an inch so I think I will definitely try and get some Big Stretch as the gaps that I have expand and contract quite a bit more than that.

Anyway, I feel much better about not having to worry about water infiltration. I can live with a little cosmetic issue.

Dave

Ruby the red 04 RK
I went to the Sashco website FAQ and it states there that Big Stretch is NOT good for Motorhomes and instead they recommend two other products. See the link...
 http://www.sashcosealants.com/home_improvement/consumers/questions.sht ml

Dave

Ruby the Red 04 RK
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 57277
"Dave"  wrote: I went to the Sashco website FAQ and it states there that Big Stretch is NOT good for Motorhomes and instead they recommend two other products. See the link...
http://www.sashcosealants.com/home_improvement/consumers/questions.shtml ---

Dave, this is #12 on the Lexel FAQ from the website cited above:

"12. Can I use Lexel on my camper / RV? Answer: Yes! Highly recommended for most surfaces on RV's / Campers.
Some RV's / Campers do have polyethylenes and polypropylenes which would not work with Lexel."

Is LD's end wrap material a "polyethylene" or a "polypropylene"? I don't *think* so, but just checking!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 57290
"Dave"  wrote: I went to the Sashco website FAQ and it states there that Big Stretch is NOT good for Motorhomes and instead they recommend two other products. See the link...
http://www.sashcosealants.com/home_improvement/consumers/questions.shtml ---

"12. Can I use Lexel on my camper / RV? Answer: Yes! Highly recommended for most surfaces on RV's / Campers.
Some RV's / Campers do have polyethylenes and polypropylenes which would not work with Lexel."

Is LD's end wrap material a "polyethylene" or a "polypropylene"? I don't *think* so, but just checking!

Joan
I believe the caps are now made of ABS plastic.
John '04 23.5FL

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 57295
http://www.sashcosealants.com/home_improvement/consumers/questions.sh tml

---

"12. Can I use Lexel on my camper / RV? Answer: Yes! Highly recommended for most surfaces on RV's /
Campers.

Joan
Joan and Dave, this is what it says about Big Stretch:

"Can you use Big Stretch on a mobile home/RV? Answer: Mobile home — yes. No substantial differences from conventional housing. RV / Motor homes — no. non-porous materials often used & these type of vehicles get much more direct movement and weather-exposure. Lexel or Through The Roof would be highly recommended rather than Big Stretch."
 I'm not sure how you define "non-porous materials" as they relate to the LD contstruction.  Aluminum maybe?  On the other hand, since Big Stretch does "stretch", it would seem ideal for our ever moving endcaps.  Food for thought.

Chris H.
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 57328
Hello Dave, I realize it is a lot easier to post before researching previous messages ..... but....

Had you searched the postings database on the end cap problem, you would have found that I had talked to the Shashco customer service representatives about their RV statement on Big Stretch.  You would have found that they made that statement because Big Stretch is a water based material and that they believe Big Stretch would not have the application flexibility (e.g. keep it dry until it is cured) needed for most customers to keep out of trouble.

You note correctly that they make other products for RV use.  Quite so ..... BUT THEY DO NOT HAVE THE SAME STRETCH BEFORE FAILURE THAT BIG STRETCH DOES.  STRETCH BEFORE ADHESIVE FAILURE IS THE PRIME CRITERIA FOR LD END CAP EDGE SEAL INTEGRITY.  REMEMBER THAT ABOVE ALL ELSE!

I have noted

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 57330
http://www.sashcosealants.com/home_improvement/consumers/questions.sh tml

---

"12. Can I use Lexel on my camper / RV? Answer: Yes! Highly recommended for most surfaces on RV's /
Campers.

Joan
From Don McG: "A review of previous postings (load up your printer with paper) will show the last several years of LD production have end caps of ABS plastic material."  "It would be appropriate that any edge sealant your selected to apply be ccompatible with ABS plastic."