Skip to main content
Topic: RV'ing with dogs (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
RV'ing with dogs
Yahoo Message Number: 57258
In addition to all the suggestions made, I would suggest doing the following:

1)  Make xerox copies of your dog(s) shot records and , registration papers  (if applicable).

2)  Pack a photo of two of your dog in the event it gets lost.

3)  Extra leads.

4)  Make a first aid kit (if you need the contents, send me a private e-mail  and I'll send you what I have in mine).

5)  This may be overkill, but I carry many containers of water that are used  only by the dogs.  I worry about my dogs getting upset stomachs if  they drink strange water.

6)  If your dog is crated at home, you'll want to bring the crate.  This is  its den and therefore a "safe" place.

7)  Extra towels in the event the dog gets wet or you need to wash it off
 after it rolls in something that smells incredibly good.

pam

Re: RV'ing with dogs
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 57259
A few other thoughts, in addition to the ones previously mentioned:

1) Make sure to bring your rabies vaccination certificates.  Some  places, including some state parks (for example, Scusset Beach State  Reservation near Cape Cod, where our NE LD group met in June)  requires proof of rabies vac.

2) When we go out and leave our dogs in the LD, we pull down the  shades, put the windshield covering on, and turn on the TV or  radio.  Diversion for our guys, and preventing them from seeing  every moving thing outside, helps keep them peaceful (or at least  less agitated!)  
3)One of our dogs sleeps in her crate at night.  We temporarily
 removed one of our barrel chairs (we have a 30' IB) and put her crate right behind the driver's seat.  This is out of the way and works better for us than when we had to side-step the crate all the time.  We also store our folding chairs beside the crate, and can put light items on top of the crate, especially when we are parked for a while.

We always tell people that one of the main reasons we have an RV is so we can take our dogs with us.  It's great to have them along!

Have fun, Donna

RV with dogs
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 57262
We bought our RV in the summer of 2004 and have learned a lot about traveling with a dog.

1. Always take vet records with you. Also, your vet's phone number  in case you have to call.

2. Take a picture of your dog with you in case your dog gets lost.
 Then, you have a picture to show what he looks like.

3. Store the dry dog food in the wardrobe or another place that is  cool Some of the cabinets get hot and can spoil the dog food.

4.  Our dog is never allowed on any furniture at home or in the RV.
 So, imagine our surprice when we got back to the RV one day and  there she was on the sofa. Now, we put the cushions up.

5.  To see if your dog makes noise when you are gone-set up some  chairs outside, get a book, and lock the dog in the RV. Then, sit  outside without making any noise, and see what she does.

6. Sharpen down the edge of the bottom of the screen door. This  sharp edge caught our dog this summer. She spent three hours in  surgery while we were on vacation.

7.  A note-our dog loves to camp, and we try to keep her walk and
 food times the same. However, I notice that if we spend two or more days doing a lot of traveling (driving more than six or seven hours), she looses her appitite. Maybe the motion? For next year's long vacation trip we have vowed to do less hours of driving a day.
Hoping to enjoy the "getting there" as much as the destination.

Hope this helps, Kathy