Skip to main content
Topic: RVing with Dogs? (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
RVing with Dogs?
Yahoo Message Number: 57245
I hope this doesn't come across as a lame question to ask.
But does anyone here in the group have experience, tips or links about RVing with dogs? This will be new to us as well as the dogs, and we want to be good neighbors wherever we go.
Thanks for your help, Jim Pappas Tacoma, WA

Re: RVing with Dogs?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 57246
Walk them frequently: when driving - no less than every couple of hours, also first thing in the morning, several times during the day, and last thing  before bed.

Dogs will feel a little disoriented when not in their familiar surroundings and on "their turf"... so bring a familiar doggie bed for them to lie on. When traveling, I keep it right between the two front seats or just behind them. A good place to get it out of the way is on the shelf under the dinette table (in the RB anyway).
 Second, bring lots of their toys. These will get in the way, but such things keep them occupied with something familiar when you're not there. This sounds like a little thing, but, believe me, it counts.
When they're bored, they get "other" ideas!
 Always, always open up the roof vents & have fans running when you're not there. Make sure there is an ample supply of water.
 When you return to the RV after having been gone for awhile, don't be surprised to see little paw prints on the dinette table top. To dogs, it's just another higher platform to climb up to so as to watch what's going on outside. I keep a bottle of spray cleaner handy and make it a habit to wipe down the table when I get back.
 Don't forget their meds & stuff. If your dog is nervous (like my Shih Tzu), a wind and rain storm will set him to bouncing off the walls at night... so I never forget those tranquilizers. I don't need flea stuff at home in Las Vegas, but I bring it for when I'm on the road to other places where fleas & ticks live.
 A bottle of "Nature's Miracle" is essential for those carpet moments.
 Taking these precautions, traveling with Man's Best Friend will be a real joy. Lots of people do it.

David

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: RVing with Dogs?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 57250
Also, perhaps something from the vet to prevent giardia (sp?); took my two old girls from Lake Tahoe to Gilroy and they both came back with terrible diarrhea; just assuming it was giardia from drinking the h2o there.   Also got a spill-proof water bowl from Camping World.
 David Walker dcwalker@...> wrote: Walk them frequently: when driving - no less than every couple of hours, also first thing in the morning, several times during the day, and last thing  before bed.

Dogs will feel a little disoriented when not in their familiar surroundings and on "their turf"... so bring a familiar doggie bed for them to lie on. When traveling, I keep it right between the two front seats or just behind them. A good place to get it out of the way is on the shelf under the dinette table (in the RB anyway).
 Second, bring lots of their toys. These will get in the way, but such things keep them occupied with something familiar when you're not there. This sounds like a little thing, but, believe me, it counts.
When they're bored, they get "other" ideas!
 Always, always open up the roof vents & have fans running when you're not there. Make sure there is an ample supply of water.
 When you return to the RV after having been gone for awhile, don't be surprised to see little paw prints on the dinette table top. To dogs, it's just another higher platform to climb up to so as to watch what's going on outside. I keep a bottle of spray cleaner handy and make it a habit to wipe down the table when I get back.
 Don't forget their meds & stuff. If your dog is nervous (like my Shih Tzu), a wind and rain storm will set him to bouncing off the walls at night... so I never forget those tranquilizers. I don't need flea stuff at home in Las Vegas, but I bring it for when I'm on the road to other places where fleas & ticks live.
 A bottle of "Nature's Miracle" is essential for those carpet moments.
 Taking these precautions, traveling with Man's Best Friend will be a real joy. Lots of people do it.

David

SPONSORED LINKS Lazy daze Recreational vehicles Automotive maintenance Recreational vehicle dealer Used recreational vehicles Automotive radiators

Yahoo! Mail Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 57253
wrote:

But does anyone here in the group have experience, tips or links about RVing with dogs? This will be new to us as well as the dogs, and we want to be good neighbors wherever we go.
--- David gave you good information.  My travel buddy, Rosie the diva dog, has a few more ideas:
1. Don't forget my no-spill "Water Hole" dish and a piece of that no-  skid rubber shelf liner stuff to put it on.
2. Cover up the couches with washable throws unless you like dog  hair and mud stuck on your backsides. (Ditto the driver's and  passenger's seats when you're not in them!) How I've gotta get up  there to snag something off the table or to watch to see when you're  coming home!
3. Don't let me drink out of the creek/river/lake or you and I both  will be really unhappy! My Mom says that it's called "giardia".)
4. Make sure I wear my collar and tags (with our cell number on it,  too!) and have a "chip"; I don't want to get lost and/or live with  anybody else!
5. Always pick up after me!  My Mom puts boxes of cheap Wal*Mart  Ziplocs ("load size specific") by the coach door and/or behind the  driver's seat and grabs a couple every time we take walks.
6. Don't leave me tied up alone outside; I might get scared or  tangled up or I might bark too much or something might get me!
7. Keep my routine as "like home" as you can.  I'm pretty adaptable,
 but I like to feel secure – and be with my Mom and/or Dad as much as I can!

Rosie
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 57255
we want to be good neighbors wherever we go.
Thanks for your help, Jim Pappas
Jim, all the previous hints plus one or two directly at being good neighbors.

1) As said before and worth repeating, ALWAYS pick up after your  dog.

2) Never tie your dog outside unattended.

4) Never go anywhere with the dog "off leash." 
5) Never assume your dog is quiet if left unattended inside your RV
 while you go someplace that's dog unfriendly.
 The only thing worse than having a dog do his business in front of a neighbor's rig without "mom or dad" picking it up is making your neighbor listen to an anxious fearful dog bark and yap whenever anything moves within 50 ft. of "his" house.  Check with your neighbor after any trip and learn first hand if your dog behaves while you're gone.

Safety of your dog, other dogs, and curious children are behind 3 and 4.

Don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 57257
Quote from: the_way_on"

I hope this doesn't come across as a lame question to ask. But does anyone here in the group have experience, tips or links about RVing with dogs? This will be new to us as well as the dogs, and we want to be good neighbors wherever we go. Thanks for your help, Jim Pappas Tacoma, WA the_way_on@y..

Jim, I see that your're getting deluged in good advice, and I might add a few more suggestions of my own that come to mind:
 Have a good strong retractable leash; I use the long 26' one to give ours as much freedom of movement as possible. They can be shortened and locked to the 6' length when required by most parks. A strong velcro-type strap or cord added onto the handle is nice to temporarily secure the dog if you want to rest and have your hands free.
 An led-lighted collar is nice (for the dog) for night walks, as is a good flashlight or headband light (for you). Many canping and dog-walk areas are pitch-black after dark.

Make sure their shots are current, and  scan and print out any important vet information and put this into a folder for any on-the-road veterinary visits.
 Have plenty of plastic bags, always take one with you, and watch where you step, because others aren't always considerate about picking up.

Check any new campsite for broken glass, leftover food scraps, and toxic matter such as ant powder or an antifreeze spill.
 Watch for aggressive behavior changes: This is a big change for a lot of dogs, and a docile animal can turn into Junkyard Dog on the road.
Watch any approaching animal for hostile behavior patterns. There are people with big dogs that they can't control.

Will

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 57260
In addition to all the other good advice....
 Secure your pet while travelling.  You don't want them becoming "puppy projectiles" in the event of a sudden stop, etc.  We use "Easy Rider" harnesses and belt ours in on the couch.  Some folks prefer belting crates to the floor in place of the barrel chairs.

Some dogs are particular about the smell/taste of the water they drink, especially if it's different from what's at home.  We use a Britta pitcher for our drinking water (dog and human).
 Store food and biscuits/treats inside the rig to prevent spoilage from heat and temptation to wild critters.  A collapsable container works great for this.
 Keep a copy of your pet's vet records, particularly vaccinations, with you.
 Try a short trip to a campground near home first.  That lets you see how your pet reacts and what challenges you might encounter.

In addition to the Nature's Miracle, a Bissell Little Green Steam Machine can be a lifesaver.

Quick Bath wipes help minimize "eau du canine", are convenient for cleaning dirty paws, and can be used to clean "skid marks" off furniture or carpet when the Little Green is overkill.

If your dog likes to lay/sleep in front of the propane detector, be prepared for a possible unexpected test of said detector (as we learned with a rather flatulent elderly dog we had).
 When you check in, ask the campground where the nearest emergency (or other) vet center is, just in case.  Better to have unused information than be trying to find it in an emergency.

Michelle (we travel with 3 cocker spaniels)

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 57261
Jim,
 In addition to all the great tips you've received here, pay a visit to
www.rv.net where you will find an entire forum devoted to rv pet health. A search for "dogs" will get you hours of reading about dogs and rvs.

Paul NE 50 Daddy to Jean Luc, a toy poodle

Re: RVing with Dogs
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 57272
"...If your dog likes to lay/sleep in front of the propane detector, be prepared for a possible unexpected test of said detector (as we learned with a rather flatulent elderly dog we had)..."

Michelle (we travel with 3 cocker spaniels)
Michelle, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time as I did when I read the above!  We just got our new goldendoodle puppy last Sat. so Pat and I have been reading these "RVing with dogs" posts carefully.
Lot's of good tips.  I can hardly wait for Gracie to get big enough so I can blame it on her...if you know what I mean.

Chris Horst
2002 30'IB
Denver
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 57274
A few more: We bought at WalMart, waterproof slip-on mattress covers.  We cover the seat cushions with them to protect them from dog hair, dirt, etc., as well as soda/coffee spills and such.

Lessons learned while camping  & hiking with dogs: When in areas used by fisherman, be on the lookout for discarded fish hooks: baited ones in particular. I had to remove one from my Aussies tongue last month. I'm not sure who the process hurt more, me or her.

Dogs don't know about cactus so you need to be careful on their behalf. A limping dog walks real slow on the way back to camp.

Scorpions and other potentially nasty things line in dark holes.
Keep noses out of dark holes.

Ed & Gopher; none the worse for the wear.

Re: RVing with Dogs? - fairly long
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 57276
Jim, You've already gotten lots of good advice, so I'll just tell you a little bit about the inital adjustment we went through 2+ years ago when we first brought our LD home and prepared to travel with our older lab.

If your dogs are already comfortable with traveling by car the adjustment should be easy, but depending on their comfort level you might want to take it in steps. Our then 10 yr old Chocolate Lab has traveled in the car since he was a pup, and he loves to go for a ride, but he was a little intimidated at first when I led him to the steps looking up into the strange smelling, dark LD. So with dog treats in my pocket, I walked him around it several times so he could smell and get comfortable. I had to almost carry him up the steps the first time. But once inside I gave him a treat and took off the leash and let him walk around and check it out. Then we went out and back in several times, with him getting a treat each time he went inside. I took an extra bed out and put it in his "place".  Over the next few days I took him out to the LD several times each day, staying a little longer each time. Once we even took a short nap out there (just to help his comfort level you understand!). By the time we had it stocked and ready to roll he was completely comfortable. On our first long trip he was a little restless for the first hour or so. But after the first stop to let him walk around and take care of his business, he headed straight for his bed and flopped down. Now he thinks the LD belongs to him.
I'm just around to drive, take him for walks and pick up after him, and my wife is around to feed and brush him. Or at least that seems to be his opinion.

At times traveling with a dog can restrict where you go or what you do when you get there. But for us, the ability to take our "4 legged child" along with us was one of the reasons we started thinking about an RV in the first place.
Good luck!

Charles

(designated driver of Champ's 2003 26.5 MB)

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: RVing with Dogs?
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 57352
Our two dogs (small ones) love to travel, and are full-timers.

Coyotes - if you travel where these creatures live, watch out. They think little dogs are snacks. Keep your dog on a leash ALL the time, and stay alert. And like Joan (JC) told you, DON'T leave them tied up, and alone.
 For instance, in the hills of Orange County, CA, where my brother and S-I-L live, there are hundreds of them, and they roam the neighborhoods - more in the evening and night, but can be seen anytime.

They became accustomed to seeing Pete and I bring our two dogs out and we were greeted with two big ones, sitting in the driveway, watching the front door one evening! Can you spell hasty retreat? (Me - not the coyotes.)

This isn't meant to scare you away from taking your dog - mostly, coyotes will keep their distance, especially if they're traveling alone. BUT, just be aware of the potential danger.

Sarah Inglewood Colorado (near Denver)

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: RVing with Dogs?
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 57355
> They became accustomed to seeing Pete and I bring our two dogs out

and we were greeted with two big ones, sitting in the driveway, watching the front door one evening! Sarah Inglewood Colorado (near Denver)
Gotta agree with you, Sarah. Coyotes have often been seen and dealt with in urban areas (like downtown Los Angeles) and have been observed using a female coyote in heat as "bait" while trolling for a meal. The trauma of losing a dog or a cat to disease or accident pales in comparison.
 Back to Jim the original poster, RV'ing is almost a different social subculture and it wasn't a "lame" question at all.  I would, however, give up the idea of using the electronic fence.  It's too easy to forget and leave the dogs unattended "for a momemt."  Not only is it unacceptable RV etiquette, the risk of losing your loved ones is much higher than at home.

Don

RVing with Dogs
Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 57360
Thanks for all the info. I copied and pasted your replys into a word.doc and printed it out for the wife to read. Here in Washington we have coyotes & bear also, just not climbing over the back yard fence! Point taken about these predetors.
Some folks visiting Alaska on cruise ships, have had small dogs snatched up by eagles! Imagine seeing Fluffy being flown away for dinner.
Best, Jim Pappas Tacoma, WA

RVing with dogs
Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 57263
lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Subject: RVing with Dogs?

I hope this doesn't come across as a lame question to ask.
Thanks for your help, Jim Pappas Tacoma, WA
Jim, You've already had a lot of tips, but your dogs comfort level traveling in an RV will be better at the start if they already enjoy traveling in the car. The RV is just a bigger car.
If your dogs are small and crate trained, they may travel best in their crates. Mine are not small and there is no room for crates in my rig, so they all pick their favorites spots to ride.
If the dogs are likely to bark at outside activities when you are away, close all of the blinds and cover the windshield area well to cut off the view. It keeps them much quieter, as a rule. With toys and chews that they like, they will relax and settle faster without outside stimulation.
If your dogs are too large for the 'water hole' type of water bowl, try a plastic bucket and use a velcro strap around the handle to fasten it to the oven door. It took me a while to realize this was an easy way to drive with water in their bucket.
If the dogs have never traveled much in a car, talk with your vet about car sickness remedies, until you know that they are ok with travel. Any dog I've had that got car sick as a pup outgrew it as they became used to a lot of travel.
My dogs love to travel and consider the RV to be their second home.
Doris 3 Standard Poodles in a 30 IB

Rving with Dogs
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 57268
I am SOB lurker here (sounds bad, no?), but got cought up with this thread. I would like to add the suggestion that you get the animals(cats/dogs) Micro chip ID's.  You then register the chip info with a national group, providing them with a cell#.