Skip to main content
Topic: Diesel/Gas? (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Diesel/Gas?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 57102
"Any advantages of ordering the diesel option?"
 Well, your rig will be a lot heavier and your wallet will be a lot lighter. ;-) Seriously, do as Barry suggested: check the FAQ. It presents a balanced view of the pros and cons, written by a man with extensive diesel experience.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 57107
"Any advantages of ordering the diesel option?"

Well, your rig will be a lot heavier and your wallet will be a lot
lighter. ;-) Seriously, do as

Barry suggested: check the FAQ. It presents a balanced view of the
pros and cons, written by

a man with extensive diesel experience.

Andy Baird
Will do.
Thanks
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 57198
I own the diesel.  If you have any questions, I will be happy to tell you what my experience has been with this engine.  Contact me at a different e mail, which is .

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 57285
As an ex moderator of this great club, I used to ring in on the subject of diesel rigs often.

Please tolerate the following update:

Diesel rigs are a noise pollutant that is running over the joys of camping in RVs.  There are so many huge fifth wheeler trailers touring that every park and private campground has several.  Many people who use them think that they should be treated like long-haul truckers (used to) treat their tractors:  Leave them run while registering, while dumping at the sewage disposal site.
 The diesels in consumer pick-up trucks are actually pretty light duty engines, and because of their poor structures (crankcase and crankshaft), they are NOISER than commercial diesel engines.  One LD owner claims that, if they were civily quiet, they wouldn't sell so well.

Anyhow, in addition to the lack of any economic, performance or longevity advantage, its just bad citizenship to drive a light duty diesel rig in a campground.
 Also, its awful to ride in a Ford F450 with that engine rattling along by your thigh.

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Diesel/Gas?
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 57301
That would be better, IMO, expressed as an opinion rather than as facts.
It was obviously opinionated *grin*

The economic advantage will depend on how many miles are driven.
The longevity advantage,  what I read seems to contradict your opinion.
Performance  is more difficult to judge.  Most of the diesels are turbocharged, most of the gas-hogs are not.  The higher torque of a diesel is not in question, however.

Ron.

Just my opinion.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 57311
That would be better, IMO, expressed as an opinion rather than as facts.
It was obviously opinionated *grin*

Yes, it was.
 There's the fact, too, that the new diesels -- at least the Chevy Duramax and the Dodge Cummins (I don't know about Ford's Powerstroke) -- are quiet, much more so than their predecessors.  All of the pickups we've ever had were diesel, and if we were ever to go back to a pickup, we'd get a diesel again.  The only reason we didn't get one in the LD was that it wasn't offered in the 23.5', and we didn't feel that the $7,000 (at the time) extra for adding a propane generator and extra propane tank was worth it.
 By the way, not EVERYONE who drives a diesel lets it idle forever...we always turned ours off.  The only time we let our diesel idle was when we had the Freightliner FL-60 with air brakes...we couldn't start moving until the air tanks were pressurized, but that only took a minute or two.

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK
From Sundance Meadows
Bend, OR

See where we are: http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=1167
Linda Hylton

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 57362
"Diesel rigs are a noise pollutant..."
 I have to say that the one thing that detracted most from the tranquility of Maine's Ocean Wood Campground, where I recently stayed, was the clatter of diesels. No, they weren't LDs--they were light pickups. Maybe the newer Ford diesel chassis that LD uses is quieter. I sincerely hope so, because the noise of light diesels can be very annoying in a nature preserve like Ocean Wood...or for that matter in any campground.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 57366
These diesels pollute the air as well.
 Research suggests diesel engines are the major source of particulate pollution

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 57393
While Biodiesel is cleaner than Petro diesel it still produces both "smog" and noise pollution, neither are attractive or good for us our children or the environment.  Hydrogen fuel cell powered vehicles on the other hand have none of these issues.  And just in case you are wondering about Hydrogen being powerfull enough think back a few years to 1959 when Allis Chalmers introduced a hydrogen powered full sized tractor.  OK it was only a prototype but it is now in the smithsonian and available for the loaner program.  See the following two links for more info on the tractor and hydrogen power.
 http://www.distributed-energy.org/fuel-cells.htm

http://www.the-land.com/story.php?storyid=1210

Think of it you could be the first person to own an RV (Lazy Daze) with hydrogen fuel cell power, or at least a hydrgen powered genorator.

Chris

PS And then Andy wouldn't know your even around ;)

"brucejbrod"  wrote:

These diesels pollute the air as well.
The Pacific NW is now the leading producer of Biodiesel in the country, made from vegetable oil.
Petro Diesel = bad.
"Andy Baird"

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 57399
While Biodiesel is cleaner than Petro diesel it still produces both "smog" and noise pollution, neither are attractive or good for us our children or the environment.

Plus Biodiesel is more expensive than regular diesel -- at least here in Bend.  We passed a gas station the other day advertising Biodiesel for, as I recall, $3.07 per gallon.  Regular diesel here in Bend is running around $2.95.  If we had a diesel, we'd have no incentive to purchase Biodiesel at that price...for us, anyway, it'd have to come down to the same price as, or lower than, regular diesel.

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK
From Sundance Meadows
Bend, OR

See where we are: http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=1167
Linda Hylton

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 57401
Plus Biodiesel is more expensive than regular diesel -- at least here in
 Bend.  We passed a gas station the other day advertising Biodiesel for, as I recall, $3.07 per gallon.  Regular diesel here in Bend is running around

$2.95.
 That's the selling price.  But it actually costs the US taxpayers more than that when you factor in the biodiesel fuels tax credit.  Diesel fuel is subject to a $0.244/gallon federal excise tax [fuels tax].
Every gallon of Bio-diesel gets a fuels tax CREDIT of $0.50/gallon.  In essence, the US taxpayer takes in 24 cents for each gallon of diesel fuel sold, then turns around and pays the user 50 cents per gallon.
Check out IRS Form 720, Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return, and the instructions.  This only applies to federal fuels taxes....this does not include any subsidies from states.
 It's basically the same for ethanol based gasoline.  The gasoline excise tax is $0.184/gallon.  The ethanol credit is $0.51/gallon for every gallon of alcohol used in the mixture.  So 100 gallons of straight gasoline yields the US Treasury $18.40 in fuels taxes [100 gallons X $0.184/gallon].  But 100 gallons of 90/10 ethanol blend yields the US taxpayer, you and me, only $13.30 [100 gallons of motor fuel @ $0.184/gallon less an alcohol credit of 10 gallon of alcohol X's $0.51 or $5.10].  Do the math.  Ethanol has a nickel per gallon tax advantage.
We've had 90/10 ethanol mix in SE Wisconsin for years, yet it has always cost more than straight 100% gasoline sold outside SE Wisconsin.  And that's with a nickel a gallon "cost" advantage due to the fuels tax subsidy.
 For those who think we're saving money by ethanol and biodiesel, I hate to burst your bubble, but that cost advantage is coming from you and me, the subsidy from the US Taxpayer.  We're paying ourselves to think we're doing some good.  The fact remains that no "artificial" fuel alternative competes with gasoline refined from petroleum unless it is subsidized by the US Government.  That applies to LPG too.  Maybe some day it will, but not now.
 I'm not picking on the fuels industry.  The US Government for years has done the same with the American farmer.  Send the farmer crop subsidies so that you and I think we're getting cheap food.  Politics.

John & Cheryl 1989 22' RL Big Red