Skip to main content
Topic: Extension Cord (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Extension Cord
Yahoo Message Number: 57013
I plan to use an extension cord plugged in to the outside outlet in order to use some kitchen applicances outside.  Do I need a heavy duty extension cord or can I use just a regular household one?  If I need a special one, what kind would it be?  Thank you in advance for any answers.

Monica
Monica
2017 MB

Re: Extension Cord
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 57015
I plan to use an extension cord plugged in to the outside outlet in order to use some kitchen applicances outside.  Do I need a heavy duty extension cord or can I use just a regular household one?  If I need a special one, what kind would it be?  Thank you in advance for any answers.
You will need at least a "heavy duty" outdoor-type extension cord.  It should at least have #14 wires.  Now, bigger wires have LOWER numbers so at least means the wire size number should be no higher than 14.  I use a 50' long cord with #12 wires and it has worked well.  We have been able to operate the air conditioner from an ordinary outlet (with a 20 amp breaker) using it but we are careful to turn operate the refrig. from propane when we do.

Linley

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Extension Cord
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 57017
It really all depends on what kitchen appliances you are planning on using. The size of the cord needs to be based on the load of the appliance and the length of the run.
 But a heavy cord can't ever hurt and a light cord can often be bad. I like the heavy outdoor cords that have a light in the receptacle at the end so you can tell at a glance if everything is hooked up and working properly to where you plug in you appliance.
 They are available anywhere tools are sold. Home Depot/ Lowes ect. The are good 3 wire cords with moulded on plugs and receptacle .

Garry

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Extension Cord
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 57018
So I can run my AC from my driveway without using the 30 AMP hookup?

--- Garry & Maxine Foster garry.foster@...> wrote:

It really all depends on what kitchen appliances you are planning on using. The size of the cord needs to be based on the load of the appliance and the length of the run.

But a heavy cord can't ever hurt and a light cord can often be bad. I like the heavy outdoor cords that have a light in the receptacle at the end so you can tell at a glance if everything is hooked up and working properly to where you plug in you appliance.

They are available anywhere tools are sold. Home Depot/ Lowes ect. The are good 3 wire cords with moulded on plugs and receptacle .

Garry

wrote: I plan to use an extension cord plugged in to the outside outlet in order to use some kitchen applicances outside.
Do I need a heavy duty extension cord or can I use just a regular household one?  If I need a special one, what kind would it be? Thank you in advance for any answers.

~--> Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/pkiolB/TM

~-

Re: Extension Cord
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 57020

Monica
Bought a 50' extension at Home Depot. #10 wire. The heaviest duty cord they sold at that time. Very expensive, but I don't recall just how much it cost, but I used it several times with excellent results. My LD is plugged in now with it.

Ed