Skip to main content
Topic: Ontario to Ridgecrest in 4 days?? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Ontario to Ridgecrest in 4 days??
Yahoo Message Number: 56949
Well, as everyone in the world (or at least on this board) knows, we will be picking up our motorhome next Tuesday.
 We plan on staying at the Elks Club in Ontario for a few days just to check everything out, then we'll head out, probably Friday or Saturday.
 We need to be in Ridgecrest on the night of the 29th, where we'll park in the Tireman's parking lot for our appt on the morning of the 30th.
 Since we are REALLY EXCITED and in a state of complete confusion, I was hoping for a few suggestions for drycamping/free parking for the days in between.  Hopefully somewhere kind of nice, but cheap!

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance, you are all the best!

Kate (and Terry) 5 MORE DAYS

Re: Ontario to Ridgecrest in 4 days??
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 56959
"I was hoping for a few suggestions for drycamping/free parking for the days in between.  Hopefully somewhere kind of nice, but cheap!"

Any suggestions??

Kate

You do know that the area between Montclair and Ridgecrest is kind of empty?

But even so, you might want to try this...

Red Rock Canyon State Recreation Area is on Hwy 14 about 30 miles south of Ridgecrest. Have only been past on the highway so cannot vouch for their facilities. But, the price is right.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 56961
Well, as everyone in the world (or at least on this board) knows,
we will be picking up our

motorhome next Tuesday.

We plan on staying at the Elks Club in Ontario for a few days just
to check everything out,

then we'll head out, probably Friday or Saturday.

We need to be in Ridgecrest on the night of the 29th, where we'll
park in the Tireman's

parking lot for our appt on the morning of the 30th.

Since we are REALLY EXCITED and in a state of complete confusion, I
was hoping for a few

suggestions for drycamping/free parking for the days in between.
Hopefully somewhere

kind of nice, but cheap!
I don't know how cheap it is, but Red Rock Canyon off Hiway 14 near Randsburg is a nice state park. We have only stopped for a rest stop on our way elsewhere, so can't give first hand camping experience. I doubt there are hookups so it meets the "dry camping" needs-but as to cost? ? ? ?  The little town of Randsburg is worth an hour or so also.
Enjoy that new LD. Mary

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance, you are all the best!

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 56967
"Since we are REALLY EXCITED and in a state of complete confusion, I was hoping for a few suggestions for drycamping/free parking for the days in between. Hopefully somewhere kind of nice, but cheap!"

Kate

Most of the area between Montclair and Ridgecrest is desert, which will be unbearably hot this time of year, unless you run the generator and A/C.  Save the desert for a winter visit.
I would suggest heading up to the Angeles National Forest, located in the San Gabriel Mountains.
Try to find an open campground.  In the summer, many of these areas can be closed due to the high fire danger.
You could also head North East to Big Bear Lake for some cooler weather. The surrounding areas have many National Forest campgrounds.  It would be about a three-hour drive to Ridgecrest.
A quick Google search should provide more details.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)