Skip to main content
Topic: electrical issue (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
electrical issue
Yahoo Message Number: 56882
Hi All,
 I just ran across a problem with my electrical outlets in my LD.  When plugged in, the fridge, a/c, microwave all work fine, but the outlets don't work.  The breakers are not tripped, the fuses are all fine.
What gives?  What could cause such a selective problem?  Is my converter hosed?

Thanks,

-Victor '91 MB New Brighton, MN (for now)

Re: electrical issue
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 56883
Victor,

When you say the breakers are not tripped, I assume you are right.

On the other hand, I have had a problem

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 56890
Barry,
 No, I did not try that.  You know it was something I remember someone mentioning, but I still didn't do it.  It looks like it is not tripped, but I will flip it back and forth and let you know how that works.

Thanks,

-Victor

Television Removal
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 56892
We have a 2000 RB with the entertainment center and need to slide out the TV to hook up a DVD player (plug ins are in the rear). We called the factory and was told that the metal lipped tray that holds the TV in place is fastened with bolts under the carpet trim. We found the bolts and loosened all of them, but that TV still will not budge.
 Has anyone removed their TV from this particular unit or one in a similar over-the-cab entertainment center? It seems like it should be an easy proposition, but it is not.

Also, maybe I have missed something much simpler. There are various connectors in the two side cabinets and the little overhead cabinet that surround the TV, but they appear to be for electrical, DSS, and cable.
Could one or more of those be for hooking up an auxiliary unit like a DVD player? HELP! Thanks!

Sonsie

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 57001
Well, I gave it a try and it still doesn't work.  I flipped all the breakers just to be sure.  Any other ideas?
Two possibilities - do you have any GFI outlets? If the local breaker is tripped there, other outlets may be wired to fall under that zone of protection. Finally, breakers DO fail. Check breaker outputs with an AC voltmeter.

Last option is a loose or broken wire somewhere. Even that can be traced, but it will be a lot of work, likely.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 57006
Two possibilities - do you have any GFI outlets? If the local breaker is tripped there, other outlets may be wired to fall under that zone of protection. Finally, breakers DO fail. Check breaker outputs with an AC voltmeter.

Last option is a loose or broken wire somewhere. Even that can be traced, but it will be a lot of work, likely.

Steve
Steve,

Thanks for the additional input.  If it's not a GFI thing, then I will check the output at the breakers.  I hope it's something simple and not a loose/broken wire.

Thanks,

-Victor

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 57136
Two possibilities - do you have any GFI outlets?

Steve[/quote] Steve,

THANKS!  It was a GFI thing.  I can't believe I didn't catch that myself.
 A side note to the problem.  In typical LD fashion, the factory tried to save me with a feature that I ignored.  The interior light that comes on with the switch near the coach door seemed to be wired with that circuit somehow.  That light stopped working around the same time my outlet problem started.  I just figured the bulb burnt out.  I had one expire earlier in the week.  I did not have a spare, so I made do without it.  After I reset the GFI, that light started working again.
What a cool feature!

-Victor

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 57155
Steve,

THANKS!  It was a GFI thing.  I can't believe I didn't catch that myself.

A side note to the problem.  In typical LD fashion, the factory tried to save me with a feature that I ignored.  The interior light that comes on with the switch near the coach door seemed to be wired with that circuit somehow.  That light stopped working around the same time my outlet problem started.  I just figured the bulb burnt out.  I had one expire earlier in the week.  I did not have a spare, so I made do without it.  After I reset the GFI, that light started working
again.

What a cool feature!

-Victor
Victor, how are you enjoying Minnesota?  We drove up I-35 from IA to Duluth 4 weeks ago and had our teeth nearly shaken out most of the way.   I had forgotten what winter does to the expansion joints.

Where was the GFI that was tripped?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: electrical issue & MN status
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 57166
Victor, how are you enjoying Minnesota?  We drove up I-35 from IA to Duluth 4 weeks ago and had our teeth nearly shaken out most of the way.  I had forgotten what winter does to the expansion joints.

Where was the GFI that was tripped?

Chris
Chris,

MN is ok.  When I first arrived, the heat and humidity was tough to bear.  Right now the weather is great.  Yes, the expansion joints are terrible.  My dogs didn't care for them either.

When I got here I stayed at Rice Creek Campground, which was ok.
Tons of mosquitos there.  Luckily, the first full weekend I was there was booked so I had to find a new place to stay after 6 nights.  I went over to the KOA in Maple Grove.  It was $10 more a day, but worth it.  I got a great spot and spent about 10 days there.  That same weekend I was able to find and buy a car, so I didn't have to drive the LD to work.  Big relief.  A couple of days before I was to move into a rental house, my pregnant dog decides to have her litter.  D'oh!  She was 4-6 days early.  Go figure.  That's got to be a first, having a litter of pups in a LD. :-)  Thankfully, I had everything I needed for a whelping and momma was ok.  She had 6 pups by the way.  For a breed that normally averages 4, that was a large litter.  Murphy was waving his luck wand all over me.

Amazingly, I was able to find a place that would go month to month, accept my dogs, and have a place to park the LD.  To top it off, it's only about 10 minutes from work.  Wow.  It still hard to believe myself.  All our stuff is in storage and will stay there until we buy a place, so we have had to piece-meal some furnishings for the rental.  The LD have been a real nice thing to have.  We took the cushions out to make a bed for the kids and use the microwave in it to heat up meals.  Although that's getting old and I think I'll be buying some cheapo mw.  We did buy a new bed for the kids too.  My wife couldn't stand the kids not having a real bed.  So now we get the cushions. :-)

Now, if only our house would sell.

The GFI that was tripped was in the kitchen.  It was an outlet that is mounted on the bottom side of the cabinets above the sink/stove.
Which is why I probably didn't think to check it.  It's the only GFI outlet in the coach.  You only need one, but hiding that one doesn't make it easy to see if it's tripped.  Which is why they probably wired it with the light.

Well, that was probably more than you wanted to know.  We are adjusting ok though.

-Victor New Brighton, MN (for now)

We got Serenity!!
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 57264
Hello All!
 First chance I've had to get online since we picked up the new rig on Tuesday (an internet setup is quickly moving to the top of our must have list).

We are still parked at the Ontario Elks Club (and will stay for an extra day or two to finish setting up) and do we love our air conditioner!
 Actually, we love the whole rig, it's a beauty!  I have to say that I disagree with all of those who said we should wait till we got the rig to buy our "extras".  I'm having a ball, decorating and putting it all together, what fun!  And it is looking really good, though there is still a lot to do.
 The new doghouse cover is a HUGE improvement, lots of room to get in and out and cupholder that actually hold cups of all sizes, plus we like the looks of it much better than the little wooden shelf.  Also, we are so happy we got the red, it looks really snappy!
 I'm a bit confused about one thing (and forgot to ask at pickup) do all the LD come with a 400w sinewave inverter?  We have one for the TV, plus there are 2 other outlets.  I'm assuming these will be for the satellite receiver and the dvd player, but for some reason I wasn't expecting this (but I am on sensory overload right now).

Anyhow, we love the coach (named Serenity) and will leave Sunday or Monday to go get our tirestems, then home for a quick couple of days, then up to Auburn for my driving lessons, then up to LaDeze!  Boy do I feel busy!

I will post more when once again we have internet access.
 Thanks to everyone on this board, you have all been incredibly helpful, and I hope I can do the same for others.

Kate (impatient no more!) in her 30TB, Red, named Serenity

Re: We got Serenity!!
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 57275
Congratulations! I feel your excitement! And now a question.  You said:

The new doghouse cover is a HUGE improvement, lots of room to get in and out and cupholder that actually hold cups of all sizes, plus we like the looks of it much better than the little wooden shelf.
Can you post a picture?  Or could anyone else who has the new style? Can it be seen at the factory and if so could someone take a picture and post it for us.  Please.

Judy G Elsie 23.5 04 (with the little wooden shelf)

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 57345
We just returned home with our new 23.5 FL and posted a photo of that doghouse.  We were very pleasantly surpised to see this new addition instead of the two cupholders we were expecting.
K & Charlene (in Sacramento)

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 57357
wrote: We just returned home with our new 23.5 FL and posted a photo of that doghouse.
--- The little cubbyhole is good, but..... *four* cupholders???

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: We got Serenity!!
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 57361
Joan,
 Four is just about right.  Two for coffee and two for water bottles.  If you have only two you have to store the water bottles somewhere during morning coffee...

Good luck with your new LD

Ed Mertz

At home in Scottsdale

The little cubbyhole is good, but..... *four* cupholders???

Joan

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 57428
Kate,

Is the factory installing a new doghouse rather than the shelf we recieved in our new 2005 26.5 RB earlier in the year?

If so, do you know if it can be retrofitted?

Thanks! Bryan & Margaret 2005 26.5 RB

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: We got Serenity!!-Now New Doghou
Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 57511
Judy
 I'll be happy to post any pictures you want.  I have posted a file to the pictures section with 2 views of the new cover (and just one little picture of Terry in the new rig, at pickup).  I'll try to put them in a folder labeled 05 Doghouse +

Kate in Serenity the Red 30TB