Skip to main content
Topic: Alaska caravan (2) (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Alaska caravan (2)
Yahoo Message Number: 56859
Hi All My first email on this subject was an invitation to anyone who was interested in a LD caravan to Alaska in the summer of 2007, to send me an email. This is my second posting on this subject as indicated by the (2) in the subject line. The response has been strong. In three days there were allready too many people on the list for one caravan. What to do? .

First, I think we discuss what exactly we mean by caravan. This is not, in any way, a commercial venture. It will cost you nothing.
Goodness knows we will be paying plenty for gas and ferrys, should you choose to use the ferrys. Basically, it is just a group of LDers travelling together with just a little organization and about as much leadership as the group wants. The larger the group, the more these two words become important. The biggest reason for travelling in a caravan is because its fun. You get to make new friends and share your adventures with others. There may even be potlucks and parties. Who knows? There are other possible advantages as well, such as pooling resources to charter an airplane, or doing fishing charters together. The possibilities are endless. Also there is the added security of travelling in a group. Much of the time up there is out of cell phone coverage. No matter what may go wrong, someone may know what to do.
 I think the first thing we need to think about is to breaking up the group (the list) into smaller subgroups with common travelling ideas.
For example, how long a trip do you have in mind? Six weeks? Ten Weeks? Three months or more? When do you want to leave? May? June? Or maybe not until after the 4th of July? How many miles a day are you comfortable driving. Perhaps there are those who don't want to drive more than 100 miles a day. These people could form a subgroup. See what I mean? Maybe I should send out a list of questions to be answered by all interested parties?

For example, I would be looking for a small subgroup of say five rigs, who would want to go later, say early July, and be gone say 7 to 10 weeks. This is mostly because bear viewing is better after salmon begin running in the streams in late summer. They would like to keep thing loose, not making reservations or having a rigid schedule. They would like boondocking with campground camping every few days for showers, laundry, water, dump, ect. They would like travelling a couple of hundred miles a day, less if there is a specific destination, more if they feel like it. I allready know of one party who likes travelling like this, because she is allready on the list, and she and her great danes were in the small (3) caravan of LDs we did in the spring of 2004.

Any suggestion about anything at all, from anyone? BTW, people should let us know if they will be at the golden caravan, because that would be a great opportunity to meet and firm up plans.

Tom Johnston

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Alaska caravan (2)
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 56862
Tom,

Those were all good points to consider. I do want to say one thing though about planning things like this. Probably only about 1

Re: Alaska caravan (2)
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 56897
Put us down too.  And we plan to be in Cheyenne next year; probably not the 1st day or so.
Matt and Fran Kubick

We would be interested in being on the list for the Caravan.

Gary and Lenore

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Enjoying our 2013 MB,  our first was a 2005 26'IB
NE54 & SE11
Fran and Matt
Wagonmasters of the NELD Caravan group
2017-2019