Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Ca and Oregon campground reservations (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Northern Ca and Oregon campground reservations
Yahoo Message Number: 56856
Hi everyone,

I am taking an impromptu RV trip from the Bay Area up to Portland later this week.  We will be heading up Hwy 101 and into Oregon.

Since I don't have any reservations anywhere, can anyone recommend good campgrounds where we can do things with kids?  Hiking, swimming, etc.

We are thinking about heading up past Eureka and then to the Oregon caves and possibly some rafting on the Rogue River.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks!

Mike S.
2003 26.5 MB
'06 30' TB Anniversary Edition

Re: Northern Ca and Oregon campground reservations
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 56860
Hi everyone,

I am taking an impromptu RV trip from the Bay Area up to Portland later this week.  We will be heading up Hwy 101 and into Oregon.

Since I don't have any reservations anywhere, can anyone recommend good campgrounds where we can do things with kids?  Hiking,
swimming,

etc.

We are thinking about heading up past Eureka and then to the Oregon caves and possibly some rafting on the Rogue River.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks!
Hi Mike, Lucky you!  I suggest you plan a stop in the Northern California Redwood Country, maybe someplace like Richardson Grove where the campground is close to the Eel River for fishing and perhaps some swimming. Be safe.
Take the Newton Drury Scenic Byway where it exits US 101 between Eureka and Crescent City.  Sometimes, we have parked along side that road for a leisurley lunch and had elk laying in the grass a few feet away.
Honey Bear Campground is just north of the mouth of the Rogue River on old Highway 101.  It is well marked You can't miss it and you can't do much better than that for a campground. Gary and Jeanette Saks will see to your comfort.  Take the wife to the restaurant for a German dinner or a steak while the kids get to bed early.  Then get them up at dawn the next morning and take them down to the meadow to see wild turkey and elk.
The high powered, shallow draft aluminum boats provide a wild, wet, and unforgettable trip up the Rogue from near US 101.  Have the kids sit up front. You may see eagles and other wildlife as well as salmon being caught.
Visit the ice cream shop near the south jetty of the Rogue.
They are very generous with their scoops.  The kids will like that.
There is an excellent bakery in Old Bandon on the left of the highway.  We have stopped for donuts each trip since Sarah showed us where it was.
As you can see we specialize in eating rather than in outdoor activities but they are there.  Others may be more help in that regard.
Nate Walker Tacoma

Mike S.
2003 26.5 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 56861
"I am taking an impromptu RV trip from the Bay Area up to Portland later this week.  We will be heading up Hwy 101 and into Oregon."

Mike S.
2003 26.5 MB
Mike
 While I personaly wouldn't pass up Honey Bear it's too stogie for kids.

But what they might find much more to their liking would be Arizona Beach, www.arizonabeachrv.com, just a few miles beyond Honey Bear, especially if you can get a site right on the beach.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Northern Ca and Oregon campgroun
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 56887
Nate wrote: (snip) . . . they are very generous with their scoops.
The kids will like that.  There is an excellent bakery in Old Bandon on the left of the highway.  We have stopped for donuts each trip since Sarah showed us where it was. As you can see we specialize in eating rather than in outdoor activities but they are there.  . . .
 Mike - another NOT TO MISS food thingy is the Bandon Cheese Factory - on the east side of the highway. Lots of parking spaces across the street, as well as out behind the Cheese Factory. Some may tell you it's not there any more, but IT IS. It got bought by another cheese company - Tilimook, I think, but they still make their great cheese.
Lots of samples, and be sure to try the garlic flavored one. Gads. My mouth's watering.

Sarah

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 56908
Steve, Sarah and Nate,

Thank you very much for the camping suggestions.  I'll let you know how the trip goes!

thanks, Mike S.
2003 26.5 MB
'06 30' TB Anniversary Edition