Skip to main content
Topic: Satellite Dish Questions (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Satellite Dish Questions
Yahoo Message Number: 56630
When we left on our last trip, I got into a "difference of opinion" with BrightHouse who was our cable tv provider. I researched & we just got Direct TV at home installed just in time to watch the shuttle land this am.
Anyway 2 questions. (1) Does anyone who takes sat tv on the road have a portable dish and if so where do you store it when underway? Will it fit in a compartment? (2) Our 96 30' only has the standard wind up  antenna and wondered about the weight issue if I wanted to get a dish installed on the roof. I know that it wasn't built with the extra reinforcement so does that become a not recommend possibility?

Thanks

Sylvia H.
Disappointed not to hear the sonic booms this am, here in FL but so glad Discovery is home

Re: Satellite Dish Questions
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 56633
"Sylvia"  wrote: (1) Does anyone who takes sat tv on the road have a portable dish and if so where do you store it when underway? Will it fit in a compartment? (2) Our 96 30' only has the standard wind up  antenna and wondered about the weight issue if I wanted to get a dish installed on the roof. I know that it wasn't built with the extra reinforcement so does that become a not recommend possibility? ----
 You might want to check the "searchable archives" (the link is on the home page of the message board) for posts on this topic; there have been several discussions that might help answer your questions.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 56659
Joan,

Thanks..I already had .

You might want to check the "searchable archives" (the link is on the

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 56668
Sylvia,
 We travel with a standard DISH network dish.  I carry it in a plastic cargo box mounted on a Hitch Haul carrier on the rear of the LD.  It won't fit in either of our compartments.  We're often in places where our site is in the trees, so I prefer having a portable stand for the dish.  I have 3 cables: 15', 75' and 100', with which I've always been able to get the dish somewhere where it can see the satellite.  I'm thinking of getting a single LNB dish for travel, one with a folding or removeable arm.

Ted H.
'02 FL  NE-12
 2 questions. (1) Does anyone who takes sat tv on the road have a portable dish and if so where do you store it when underway? Will it fit in a compartment?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Satellite Dish Questions
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 56648
(1) Does anyone who takes sat tv on the road have

a portable dish and if so where do you store it when underway? Will it fit in a compartment? (2) Our 96 30' only has the standard wind up  antenna and wondered about the weight issue if I wanted to get a dish installed on the roof. I know that it wasn't built with the extra reinforcement so does that become a not recommend possibility?

Sylvia, in addition to our roof-mounted satellite dish, we took a portable with us this year because we knew we'd need it when we were camp hosting.
We carry ours in our toad, but if you don't have a toad, you should be able to put the dish in a compartment.  There are also dishes that fit on the ladder, so that might be an option, too.
 I wouldn't think adding a crank-up dish on top of your LD would be a problem since it's not all that heavy (maybe someone here knows the actual weight).
But be aware if you're fond of parking in the trees, you're going to find yourself without reception many times.
 Your main problem with a portable dish is you'll probably have to run the cable from the dish through a window directly to the receiver.  You won't be able to use the outside cable hookup because that has a splitter in it that won't work with satellite.  There is a short, flat cable available (maybe about 4" long) that will allow you to run the cable through the window and pretty much be able to close it.

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK

Fish Lake, Steens Mountain (near Frenchglen, OR)
See where we are: http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=1167
Linda Hylton

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Satellite Dish Questions
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 56663
Thanks Linda..
We don't tow a toad so I'll check dish sizes etc. & storage options.

Sylvia

Sylvia, in addition to our roof-mounted satellite dish, we took a portable with us this year because we knew we'd need it when we were camp
hosting.

We carry ours in our toad, but if you don't have a toad, you
should be able

to put the dish in a compartment.  There are also dishes that fit
on the

ladder, so that might be an option, too.

I wouldn't think adding a crank-up dish on top of your LD would be
a problem

since it's not all that heavy (maybe someone here knows the actual
weight).

But be aware if you're fond of parking in the trees, you're going
to find

yourself without reception many times.

Your main problem with a portable dish is you'll probably have to
run the

cable from the dish through a window directly to the receiver.
You won't be

able to use the outside cable hookup because that has a splitter
in it that

won't work with satellite.  There is a short, flat cable available
(maybe

about 4" long) that will allow you to run the cable through the
window and

Satellite Dish Questions
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 56696
I'm thinking of getting a single LNB dish for travel, one with a folding or removeable arm.

We've been Dish Network customers since around 1998, and have only ever had a single LNB dish.  We've never watched any programming on the 110 satellite, since everything we want is on the 119 satellite.  Makes tuning in a signal so much easier when you don't have to worry about that second satellite!

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK

Fish Lake, Steens Mountain (near Frenchglen, OR)
See where we are: http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=1167
Linda Hylton

satellite questions
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 57128
Hello to all ....would like info on what would the experts out there use for a satellite connection which company what works the best and the easiest to use ....still searching for our LD sent out 3 emails to the ads posted only got one very nice reply from a Man in San Francisco ....the others one in New Mexico and Az didn't make any returned emails ....so the search goes on for us thanks to all who have been so helpful ....have a fun time ..
Mary &  INDIANA

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: satellite questions
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 57142
If you're referring to a satellite for Internet, then the satellite you use depends on your travels.  Each satellite has its own "footprint" of useable geographic locations.  We spend a lot of time in Mexico and none in northern Washington state or Canada so SatMex5 works fine for us.  SatMex5 doesn't work in much of Canada, etc.
 For VAR (ISP) we use Motosat.  Since they make our Datastorm antenna and positioner, using Motosat reduces the number of folks we need to talk to when we rarely have issues.  We've found Motosat very helpful and responsive.  There are other VARs such as Ground Control, etc.

All these kinds of info and more are available at
www. DatastormUsers.com (for all kinds of issues related to Internet by satellite - not just about Datastorm, as well as about TV, VOIP, etc, etc).

If you're mot referring to Internet via Satellite then pretty much ignore the above ;)

best,  paul

Hello to all ....would like info on what would the experts out
there use for

a satellite connection which company what works the best and the
easiest to

Re: satellite questions
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 57176
"would like info on what would the experts out there use for a satellite connection which company what works the best and the easiest to use..."
 It'll help if you tell us whether you mean a satellite link to the internet or a satellite TV service.
 In either case, quite a lot of information has been posted already--you can find it on the LD group archive at

http://www.lazydazers.org/Yahoo/msg_display.php>
 You can search there for whatever type of satellite service you have in mind.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"