Skip to main content
Topic: Chevy Tracker as a toad (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Chevy Tracker as a toad
Yahoo Message Number: 50483
With all this talk about toads, I thought I would ask another question.  We've looking at 2 door, 4WD Trackers because of the light weight, small size, and the convertable top.  I know 2 people that have older models and love them, and I have spoken to many folks who are towing them who seem to be pleased.  But since I don't usually see them discussed here, I wondered if there was a reason. The price and weight is lower than a Jeep and I like the design better.  Of course we want towing to be as easy as possible and want to tow 4 down.  We have checked out a few on the internet (1998-2002), and I like the ones that have the rag top divided into 2 parts....it looks like you can remove just the part over the driver and passenger without taking the back part off.  Since the cab over on the LD obstructs much of the upper view, a convertable tow vehicle is important to us for sight seeing.

Thanks for any input.
Rene'
Rene'

Re: Chevy Tracker as a toad
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 50486
With all this talk about toads, I thought I would ask another question.  We've looking at 2 door, 4WD Trackers because of the light weight, small size, and the convertable top.  I know 2 people that have older models and love them, and I have spoken to many folks who are towing them who seem to be pleased.  But since I don't usually see them discussed here, I wondered if there was a reason. The price and weight is lower than a Jeep and I like the design better.  Of course we want towing to be as easy as possible and want to tow 4 down.  We have checked out a few on the internet (1998-2002), and I like the ones that have the rag top divided into 2 parts....it looks like you can remove just the part over the driver and passenger without taking the back part off.  Since the cab over on the LD obstructs much of the upper view, a convertable tow vehicle is important to us for sight seeing.
I'm not sure why Trackers haven't been discussed much here (maybe because they are no longer being sold).  There are at least as many trackers at the Caravan Club as there are Jeeps!  We have friends in their 70s who have towed a Tracker all over the US and driven it over thousands of miles of 4x4 trails.  One of the reasons we like to have the soft top on our Jeep is the ease of dropping it and having a wide open view (but hard tops are quieter and more secure against theft).
Virtually all of the Tracker owners we know have hard tops.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 50695
With all this talk about toads, I thought I would ask another question.  We've looking at 2 door, 4WD Trackers because of the light weight, small size, and the convertable top.
We have a '99 Chevy Tracker, stick shift, which we pull behind our 2003 MB.  The '99s were the first year of the new model style with the two piece soft top.  We love it, especially the two piece top, which is easily opened and closed from inside in about 30 seconds.
Our neighbors have one of the earlier model styles which they pull behind a 1989 MB.  The seats in ours are definitely more comfortable.  We like the fold down backseat feature for hauling stuff around, however, a downside is that unless you go to the effort to unzip the back window, everything must be slid in under it (tall enough for grocery bags but not much else.)

We bought ours used a year ago, and it has been trouble free.  We also have a 2003 Honda CRV which we have occasionally towed, but we really prefer the Tracker for it "funkiness", convertible top, and the lack of concern we feel when we're off road.
 We had a '99 Jeep Wrangler (before our Lazy Daze and towing days)and we really like the Tracker better.  It is definitely more comfortable, rides more like a car.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 50700
Thanks very much, and all this is good to hear since we just bought a 2001, 2 door, automatic with all the extras we wanted!  It's burgundy which will look great behind our tan 2000 MB, "Euphoria".  We're also in the process of giving the interior a whole new look with bright and happy colors.

Cheers, Rene'

We have a '99 Chevy Tracker, stick shift, which we pull behind our 2003 MB.  The '99s were the first year of the new model style with the two piece soft top.  We love it, especially the two piece top, which is easily opened and closed from inside in about 30 seconds.
Our neighbors have one of the earlier model styles which they pull behind a 1989 MB.  The seats in ours are definitely more comfortable.  We like the fold down backseat feature for hauling stuff around, however, a downside is that unless you go to the effort to unzip the back window, everything must be slid in under it (tall enough for grocery bags but not much else.)

We bought ours used a year ago, and it has been trouble free.  We also have a 2003 Honda CRV which we have occasionally towed, but we really prefer the Tracker for it "funkiness", convertible top, and the lack of concern we feel when we're off road.

We had a '99 Jeep Wrangler (before our Lazy Daze and towing days) and
Rene'

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 50703
Just FYI, the Chevy Tracker, like the Geo Tracker before it, is a variation of Suzuki's small 4x4 SUV.  Suzuki imported mini-SUVs to USA with model names Samurai, Sidekick, and Vitara.  The Suzuki 4x4 is a favorite in developing countries around the world.
--oryoki

Chevy Tracker as a toad
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 50489
Hi We have a 1996 Geo Tracker 2D,4WD. This is the first generation model when they were sold by Chevrolet, but were called Geo.
Pluses: Great look if you like something with a lot of character.
Kind of a funky retro look. Goes well with LD character.
A true 4WD, its probably the smallest and lightest thing you can tow. Drive it as a convertable, or install the hard- top for colder areas. Nimble and fun to drive. At about 2200 pounds, it tows like its not there. Reliable, but parts and service as far as your Chevvy dealer.
Minuses: Small and kinda cramped inside. Hard seats, not for long distances. Fold-down back seats, (mine are temporarily out), even less comfortable. Milage not as good as you might expect from a small 4cyl, at least not the automatic. Not luxurious, you even have to roll the windows down manually:-)

The automatic is towable, but you are not supposed to go over 55, and you should stop every few hours to run the engine. On mine, I have a driveline disconnect, so I do not have to adhere to those rules. Youwanna buy it? TJ Subject: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Chevy Tracker as a toad

With all this talk about toads, I thought I would ask another question.  We've looking at 2 door, 4WD Trackers because of the light weight, small size, and the convertable top.  I know 2 people that have older models and love them, and I have spoken to many folks who are towing them who seem to be pleased.  But since I don't usually see them discussed here, I wondered if there was a reason.
Thanks for any input.
Rene'