Skip to main content
Topic: Was Toad Weights, now Suzuki vs Honda (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Was Toad Weights, now Suzuki vs Honda
Yahoo Message Number: 50437
In addition I understand that the Suzuki does not rack up milage on the
odometer when it is towed 4-wheels down.

Neither do the Hondas.

What I would like to know is does it hold up. Will I face lots of repairs.
The CR-V has an excellent record of quality. But it is not a true 4WD toad.

Can't answer your questions on the Suzuki, but there are websites that give frequency and cost of repairs (Consumer Reports???).
 However, unless you're a real 4x4 nut, the fact that the Honda is not a true
4-wheel drive shouldn't be a concern.  Our Element is an automatic 4-wheel
 drive vehicle, and it does just fine on 4-wheel drive roads.  True, it doesn't have the clearance that something like a Jeep does, but we don't do any true "off roading"  -- that is, we stick to actual roads and don't take off across country where we might be going over large boulders.  It's all in what you want out of a 4-wheel drive vehicle.
 According to Motorhome Magazine's Dinghy Towing Guide, the Grand Vitara and/or the Vitara must be stopped every 200 miles and the engine revved.
That really shouldn't be much of a problem since I assume that you will stop at least that often to take a walk, go potty, etc.  However, the Honda's have no such restrictions.

Linda & Earl 2004 23.5'  Red TK From Quartzsite, AZ
Linda Hylton

Re: Suzuki vs Honda
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 50440
CU's April 2004 auto issue says this (summarized):

Suzuki Vitara/XL-7 Reliability: average Satisfaction: much worse than average Depreciation: much worse than average MPG: 17
 The 2.5-liter V6 is sluggish, hampered by a crude, unresponsive automatic. The XL-7 has a larger V6 and a five-speed automatic. The driver's seat lacks support, and the cockpit feels narrow. The ride is stiff and rubbery. Handling is vague, but secure in emergency maneuvers. The part-time 4WD system can't be used on dry pavement.

Honda CR-V Reliability: much better than average Satisfaction: better than average Depreciation: better than average MPG: 21
 This is one of the better car-based SUVs on the market today. The ride is supple and controlled. The steering feel is good, but the tires' sideways grip compromises handling a bit. The 2.4-liter Four is more energetic, refined and economical than the V6s of some competitors. The automatic transmission is very smooth and responsive. Impressive crash tests round out this sensible and competitively priced choice.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Was Toad Weights, now Suzuki vs Honda
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 50470
In addition I understand that the Suzuki does not rack up milage
on the

odometer when it is towed 4-wheels down.

Neither do the Hondas.
[snip]

According to Motorhome Magazine's Dinghy Towing Guide, the Grand Vitara and/or the Vitara must be stopped every 200 miles and the engine
revved.

That really shouldn't be much of a problem since I assume that you
will stop

at least that often to take a walk, go potty, etc.  However, the
Honda's

have no such restrictions.

Linda & Earl 2004 23.5'  Red TK
On our 2004 Honda 4WD CR-V, it DOES have the requirement that you stop and, while in idle, run through the gears (in Honda's very specific sequence)staying in each gear for a minute or two.  The whole idea is to circulate the oil at least every 200 mi.  We do it more frequently.

Although we have not tried climbing any boulders, we have driven it over almost every type of ground, and through shallow streams without problems.  Does driving it through cow pastures count? ;^)

Sharon N.

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Was Toad Weights, now Suzuki vs Honda
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 50488
On our 2004 Honda 4WD CR-V, it DOES have the requirement that you stop
and, while in idle, run through the gears (in Honda's very specific sequence)staying in each gear for a minute or two.  The whole idea is to circulate the oil at least every 200 mi.  We do it more frequently.

According to our owner's manual (Honda Element on the CR-V chassis), with an automatic transmission, you're supposed to go through the gears at least every 8 hours -- which would, presumably, be longer than every 200 miles.
Does your CR-V's owner manual say that it should be done every 200 miles?

Does driving it through cow pastures count? ;^)

Depends on how deep the cow pies are! ;-)

Linda Hylton

Re: Honda CR-V Towing Procedure
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 50495
[snip]

According to our owner's manual (Honda Element on the CR-V
chassis), with an automatic transmission, you're supposed to go through the gears at least every 8 hours -- which would, presumably, be longer than every 200 miles. Does your CR-V's owner manual say that it should be done every 200 miles? [snip]

Linda & Earl,

You're absolutely right.  I just checked our owner's manual, and it does say at least every 8 hours.  In our case, that would work out to about 200 mi.!  It really means, make sure that the transmission oil gets circulated.  That includes if it sits overnight, or all day.  Even if you haven't moved it, circulate that transmission oil before towing.
 The manual also warns not to exceed 65mph while towing (for the same reasons) and to only tow the 4WD version all four wheels down.

Sharon N.

Was Toad Weights, now Suzuki vs Honda
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 50443
Thanks to Linda & Earl and Andy,

The CR-V looks like the all-around type of toad what we require.

I have spent 20 years of my life editing special interest video projects and part of that time creating our own education videos. We have another 2 years before we move to our home in Ranch Mirage, CA.
At that time one of the things I am considering is to incorporate video production into our travels. That is why I was looking at a 4WD toad. I wanted the ability to tape in less accessible places.
 I am aware that this is not a Jeep. It looks like a CR-V will travel dirt and gravel roads.  But can, for example, a CR-V handle travel in sand, dirt roads with holes, or cross shallow streams.

Anyone, with a CR-V, have experiences they would like to share regarding this type of traveling.

As we gain more experience with the Lazy I hope to be providing information to the group. Now that I said that, I do have a little info.

We purchased a 2005 26.5 RB in November. We have the Lazy parked in in an RV parking area in our condo comunity in Rancho Mirage, CA.
This a low desert environment and subject to extreme sun and summer heat. We decided to buy a ADCO Tyvek 26' cover.
(http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm? deptID=&subOf=105,8&prodID=3244)So far this cover has protected the Lazy from a number of rain storms and blowing dust. We have other RVs in the parking area and there is a marked difference between the dirt that is on the newer units and our Lazy. It takes me about half an hour to put it on. And may be 20 minutes to take it off, not something I enjoy. But when that sun starts beating down on the paint I believe that the cover will be a real help in preventing accelerated aging. I will keep the group informed as the sun heats up.

Enjoy all, Larry

Re: Was Toad Weights, now Suzuki vs Honda
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 50444
FWIW.  We tow a soft-top 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sahara.  It's quick to hook up and detach, easy to tow and it parks and goes almost anywhere. We find it a great sightseeing toad.  It rides a bit too rough & noisy to serve as our primary long haul vehicle but we drive it daily as our around-town car of choice.

Re: Was Toad Weights, now Suzuki vs Honda
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 50450
It looks like a CR-V will travel

dirt and gravel roads.  But can, for example, a CR-V handle travel in sand, dirt roads with holes, or cross shallow streams.

Anyone, with a CR-V, have experiences they would like to share regarding this type of traveling.
Larry, We have a CRV (4 wheel drive version) and have taken it on logging roads and have crossed creeks where the crossings were gravel.  It is not like our Jeep, but by taking it slow and not attempting big boulders, etc, we have found it is adequate for our back road needs.
It does have about 8" in clearance which helps.  We have never had it in soft sand.
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Was Toad Weights, now Suzuki vs
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 50448
I am aware that this is not a Jeep. It looks like a CR-V will travel dirt
and gravel roads.  But can, for example, a CR-V handle travel in sand, dirt roads with holes, or cross shallow streams.

Although we do not have a CR-V, our Element is built on the CR-V chassis.
 We've driven our Element up and down Tyson Wash here in Quartzsite which is pretty much nothing but sand, and we've driven it on the 4-wheel drive roads around Quartzsite, some of which have holes...it did great!  While we've never driven across shallow streams, I don't see why it would be a problem (emphasis on "shallow").

Linda Hylton