Skip to main content
Topic: Small SUV's as Toads. Consumers Report. (Read 20 times) previous topic - next topic
Small SUV's as Toads. Consumers Report.
Yahoo Message Number: 50406
For what it's worth. Here are the six highest rated small SUV'S per Consumers Reports: In order from the top: Subaru Forester, Toyota Rav 4, Pontiac Vibe, Toyota Matrix, Subaru Baja, Honda CRV.

Starting at the bottom of the rating scale here is the worst: Pontiac Aztec, Jeep Liberty Sport, Land Rover Freelander, Kia Sorrento, Suzuki XL7.
Ed
I've had a Forester for two years and I love it but it's not four- down towable from what I know.  :-(

Dave

Ruby the red 04 RK - who's never towed a thing in her life!!
Dave

2017 TK

Re: Small SUV's as Toads. Consumers Report.
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 50407
The manual transmission version of the Forester is towable four down - no restrictions.

Dave Steele

Toads
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 50500
Has anyone towed or considered towing a manual-transmission Scion xA or xB?  (Scion is a division of Toyota.)  Both of these are inexpensive ($12,000 - $14,000) and lightweight (2300 - 2400 pounds.).  The only downsides that I can see (besides the observation that the xA looks like it should have a dozen or so clowns popping out of it as it goes in a circle!) are that one has to stop and idle the engine every 200 miles and they're only sold in California. 
Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Toads
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 50546
campncguy  wrote:

Not sure why you think Scions are only sold in California.  We have (3) dealers in the Raleigh, NC area.

Jeff, according to the 2004 Dinghy Guide from MotorHome magazine, the Scion xA and xB are only sold in California! Scroll to "Towable SUVS and Pickups" on this page:
 http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/04dinghytowing.pdf

From your information, things have changed!  ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 50552
Jeff, according to the 2004 Dinghy Guide from MotorHome magazine, the Scion xA and xB are only sold in California! Scroll to "Towable SUVS and Pickups" on this page:>
http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/04dinghytowing.pdf

From your information, things have changed!  ;-) Joan
Hi Joan and other toad seekers! I think part of the confusion about Scion availability is that the above link is to the 2004 dingy towing guide. The updated information is in the 2005 Dingy towing guide which was published in the Jan. 2005 issue of Motorhome. Apparently the new guide is not online yet.

Toyota did initially have a slow roll out of the Scion brand. But I believe they went to national distribution later in 2004.

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 50696
Has anyone towed or considered towing a manual-transmission Scion xA or xB?  (Scion is a division of Toyota.)
Our son has an Xb, which he loves.  He doesn't tow it, so I can't add much there.  We are amazed by the space inside and comfort.  He calls his "the toaster" and you do have to like that look.  He got his in LA, but they do sell them now in little ol' Bend, OR.

Carolyn

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 71108

"jctaylor1941"  wrote (a LONG time ago - but I want to tie my
message into an existing thread on the subject):

Has anyone towed or considered towing a manual-transmission Scion xA or xB?  (Scion is a division of Toyota.)

Our son has an Xb, which he loves.  He doesn't tow it, so I can't add much there.  We are amazed by the space inside and comfort.

Carolyn
In my own search for a new car, I did some research on the towing options on the various vehicles that I was considering. I wanted a new, lightweight, safe, CHEAP to buy/CHEAP to run, people-hauler/dog- hauler/cargo-hauler that might also serve as a toad. I quickly zeroed in on the Scion xB. They even offer it LD colors of Polar White and Salsa Red. I hesitated buying the xB because I read confusing postings as to whether the xB's (and their big brothers - Toyotas) are legitamately towable.

I have learned that the xB's (and other Scions and Toyotas) with MANUAL transmissions can be towed with "four on the ground". Toyota dealers can even order and install the towing mounting bracket on the front of your car for around $450. Any doubt can be remove by checking out...  http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php? t=125442&highlight=towing+scion  ..or...  http://tinyurl.com/kkrxk. [BTW - Those of you who own a Scion will want to bookmark the home page of this web site. The site has a ton of info that you will find useful.]

If there is any doubt about the xB's utility, check out Car and Driver's comparison test of the sub-compact minivans (Feb, 2006)...
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/10524/2006-chevrolet-hhr-lt- vs-2006-chrysler-pt-cruiser-gt-vs-2006-honda-element-ex-p-vs-2006- scion-xb.html  ..or...  http://tinyurl.com/mf387  where the featherweight champ, the xB, (2438 pounds - lightest by 700 pounds) could swallow and haul 34 cases of beer (only 2 less than the HHR which is 21" longer).

Sorry, but if you have a Scion or Toyota with an AUTOMATIC transmission and want to tow it along on your next vacation, you will have to put the front wheels on a towing dolly or install a Toyota transmission fluid pump (about $450).

Tony Remich

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 71109
Speaking of toads, can anyone out there suggest a 6-passenger toad that our '95 RB (Ford 460) could handle?

I know some folks tow Honda Odysseys but was a little worried about whether that would overstress our rig. Any suggestions on this 6- passenger toad subject would be appreciated.

John in Austin

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 71115
"ezadyzal95"  wrote:

Speaking of toads, can anyone out there suggest a 6-passenger toad that our '95 RB (Ford 460) could handle?

John in Austin
John:
 The lightest 6 passenger sub-compact mini-van that I came accross in my research for a new car to buy was the MAZDA5 (introduced in 2005).
It has 2+2+2 "theater seating" (where each row in back is 2" higher than the row in front - giving everyone a good view outside), great cargo hauling capacity, and lots of "extras" included in their "base" price. It also recieved high praise for it's features and overall value in all of magazine/newspaper reviews that I read and I have met and talked to a number of enthusiatic buyers. It was my number 2 vehicle of choice, but I did not check out it's "towability" since the Scion xB (seating 5) met all of my criteria.

Tony Remich

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 71116
Tony,

Thanks for the information on the xB.  It is very informative.  I don't tow, but keep looking at the options.

Note that the correct link for the picture is http://tinyurl.com/kkrxk , not http://tinyurl.com/kkrxk. i.e. without the period at the end.
 A general note for persons posting links is that you must put a space at the beginning and the end of the link, or put the link on a separate line, as any ajoining text (like the .) will get incorporated into the link, making it non valid.

There is also a trick with  surrounding the link, but I've not had good luck with that.  Maybe someone will expla

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Toads
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 71124
Barry,
 We towed our Scion Xa 2005 manual transmission for 4,300 miles this summer.
Towed through 9 states from California for 6 weeks on the road.  No problems at all and got between 8.5 and 9 miles per gallon average.  The weight of this car is only 2,340 lbs.  I would recommend this car for towing and a great grocery getter around town.  It is a 5 door and the seats fold down and you can load it up.  We had alot

Toads
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 95376
I read  an oxymoron observation:  A motor home towing a Prius.
Sounds good to me as I have a Prius, anyone know how it's done? Thanks.  SC

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 95378
a. With the front wheel off the ground (dolly towing) Release the parking brake.

b. Towing backwards with the rear wheel lifted, front wheels must be supported on a separate dolly (Not for most motorhomers!  
c. With all four wheels on a flatbed or trailer.

Michelle

Toads
Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 106940
What are some models and makes of cars that make particularly good towable vehicles. Can any car be towed? I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse with a 4 cylindar engine and a four speed automatic tranny, could I use it as a toad? Be well. Dale.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 106941
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:14:28 -0000, "DALE" wrote:

What are some models and makes of cars that make particularly good towable vehicles. Can any car be towed? I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse with a 4 cylindar engine and a four speed automatic tranny, could I use it as a toad? Be well. Dale.
You must have recently joined here Dale.
Motorhome mag does an annual list of toads.
http://www.motorhomemagazine.com Search for 2009 dinghy guide

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 106944
Dale,
 Yes, any car can be towed, the question is, how? A few use an enclosed trailer into which the car is put. Others use an open flatbed. Others a tow dolly that lifts the front wheels off the ground. Most tow four down.
 To do the latter you will need a tow bar to connect the towed vehicle to the motorhome, a "baseplate" on the towed vehicle to connect the tow bar to, some wiring and other devices to activate the towed vehicle's tail and stop lights and turn signals and,
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 106945
I am a relatively new member here and recently bought a 1991 RB (@2mos. ago). I'm also recently retired and have been trying to get my head around this wonderful world of RVing. SO, give me a break, if you would, as it's is all new and exciting to me and I guess I'm acting like a kid

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 106946
Terry, Outstanding information. Thanks for taking the time to clear things up for me, it's appreciated. Be well. Dale.

__ From: tlburnes no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Mon, October 26, 2009 6:21:07 PM
 Subject: [LD] Re: Toads

Dale,
 Yes, any car can be towed, the question is, how? A few use an enclosed trailer into which the car is put. Others use an open flatbed. Others a tow dolly that lifts the front wheels off the ground. Most tow four down.
 To do the latter you will need a tow bar to connect the towed vehicle to the motorhome, a "baseplate" on the towed vehicle to connect the tow bar to, some wiring and other devices to activate the towed vehicle's tail and stop lights and turn signals and, in most cases, some sort of a system to activate the towed vehicle's brakes when stopping.
 In addition, you may need a some sort of a driveline disconnect or an add-on system to lubricate the towed vehicle's transmission when being towed.
 I'm guessing the Eclipse is front wheel drive. The information I've read is that almost all FWD cars with a manual transmission can be towed four down without a driveline disconnect or transmission lubrication system, even if the manufacturer doesn't expressly "authorize" that. But with an automatic things get more complicated.
 Since it sounds like you're not really in the market for a new vehicle but would prefer to use the one you have, I'd start by reading any information about towing the vehicle in its owner's manual. Any cautions/warnings/ restrictions there would be indicative of how hard it would be to tow. All manuals address this, if for no other reason than towing or moving a disabled vehicle.

Then I'd call the various towing equipment manufacturers or check their Web sites to see if they manufacture a base plate system for your \vehicle. (Google tow bar.) When you find one that does you might then call and ask them about other requirements for towing your vehicle.
 Most important will be to determine what is required to protect your transmission while towing, if anything. There is a company called Remco that makes an aftermarket transmission lubrication system for use while towing. I think they could be very helpful. (I don't think a driveline disconnect will work on a front wheel drive car.)
 We tow a Jeep Wrangler. It was easy to set-up for towing and is very easy to tow. We like it for the way it allows us to travel confidently on any road as we explore the west. Drawbacks are its weight and relatively poor mileage.

Terry 2003 26.5'RB Gardnerville, NV

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 106951
"which are the best cars for toads?"
 "Best" depends on your needs and your budget. From what I've seen in campgrounds, the most *popular* toads are probably Subaru Foresters, Honda CR-Vs, Saturns of various types, and Jeeps. The first two have excellent reliability. A relatively new model that seems to be growing in popularity as a toad is Honda's Fit; I tow one of those.
 "What about Dollies? Is that a real alternative, and how does it compare cost-wise and hastle-wise to towing?"
 Dollying or trailering has many disadvantages. The dolly/trailer adds between several hundred and a thousand pounds of weight, so the advantage of using a lightweight car as a toad is lost. It's much wider than the car, so you can have maneuverability problems. Perhaps worst of all, you'll need to seek out larger campsites, because the site must accommodate your rig, your toad AND your dolly or trailer. That rules out many places where you could otherwise camp.
 Trailering or dollying is best viewed as a last resort. It's for someone with a car that can't be towed four down, but that they just can't live without.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 107217
Motorhome mag does an annual list of toads.
http://www.motorhomemagazine.com Search for 2009 dinghy guide

Keep in mind, though, that the only vehicles listed in  Motorhome's Dinghy Towing Guides are those which the manufacturer has approved for towing
4-down.  That doesn't mean that others can't be towed 4-down, either "as is"
 or with the addition of an after-market product.
 If you don't find your vehicle listed in the Dinghy Towing Guides, then check out Remco Towing, www.remcotowing.com, and see what they have to say about your vehicle.
 Of course, you can always get a tow dolly or a flat bed trailer, but that just adds another level of complexity to towing not to mention the question about what to do with the dolly/trailer when in a campground.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Toads
Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 108306
I have seen a list of cars that are towable some place but I can't remember where. Can someone point me to a web site that has this info. Right now I want to know if a 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage is towable. Be well. Dale.

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 108307
"I have seen a list of cars that are towable some place but I can't remember where."
 As Dave and Linda mentioned in messages earlier today, the list you want is Motorhome Magazine's "Dinghy Guide":

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/>

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"