Skip to main content
Topic: Front end alignment (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Front end alignment
Yahoo Message Number: 50362
Hi all,

Wanted to get the front end aligned before the trip to the soaring convention next week, so took Yonder into Les Schwab in Carson City, NV today. They were the only place I could find that would do it soon and had a door big enough too.

Wow, was I impressed! I previously took off the front wheel covers as I wanted them to balance the fronts and didn't want the cover adapter threads damaged. "Yonder" only has 1600 miles, but there was just a hint of shimmy in the steering wheel.

Schwab has a modern computer/laser alignment machine and talking to the tech, he knew what he was doing. They had to replace a bushing on the left wheel as the alignment was too far out of spec to just adjust it. Right side was adjustable without replacing bushings.

Total was $110.

Yonder and I are both happy campers.

BTW, did you know that many other SOBs actually pay for this first alignment?

all the best,

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Re: Front end alignment
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 50364
Wow, was I impressed! I previously took off the front wheel covers as I wanted them to balance the fronts and didn't want the cover adapter threads damaged. "Yonder" only has 1600 miles, but there was just a hint of shimmy in the steering wheel.
Forgot to mention, when they were done and I went to put the wheel covers back on (I'd left the inside on the floor), I found the tech had fetched them and installed them. Then I went to look for the "tools" as I'd left them in one cover. They were cleaned and on the driver seat. Nice touch - - they didn't have to re-install the covers as I'd taken them off.

A few miles down the road, I called to compliment them on their service.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 50379

adjust it. Right side was adjustable without replacing bushings.

Total was $110.

bumper
Had the alignment done on my 2000MB the other day. Same overall quality of facility/equipment. Paid $184. A variety of pieces & parts had to be replaced. It's the type of shop you're describing.
Been in business forever. You tell to do what needs doing and know you're not going to be cheated. How refreshing in todays mostly get- by world.

Ed

Ft. Pierce, FL

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 54043

Total was $110.

bumper

Had the alignment done on my 2000MB the other day. Same overall quality of facility/equipment. Paid $184. A variety of pieces & parts had to be replaced. It's the type of shop you're describing.
Been in business forever. You tell to do what needs doing and know you're not going to be cheated. How refreshing in todays mostly get- by world.
Ed Ft. Pierce, FL
Wow, based on your experience I am really being taken advantage of.
I took my LD into one of the few Ford dealers (New Brighton Ford) that deals with motor homes for an alignment.  They told me that my alignment was too far out of alignment and that they needed to install "adjustors" on both wheels.  This will cost a cool $325.
Ouch!

Jim Bowler
2004 MB
Falkor

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 54046
"Jim Bowler"  wrote: They told me that my alignment was too far out of alignment and that they needed to install "adjustors" on both wheels. This will cost a cool $325.
----
 Eh? Maybe I just *think* I smell snake oil, but you might want to get a "second opinion" from a shop specializing in truck frames/suspensions/alignments; it doesn't sound likely that a 2004 could be *that* far out of whack unless there's a chassis manufacturing defect.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 54050
Yeah, I would have asked for a "before alignment" read out of alignment specs as they were before anyone put a wrench to the unit.
This before and after read out is something everyone should ask for when they are having an alignment. Then I would want to know what "adjusters" they are speaking of. I've owened Fords with the tw

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 54053
Quote from: Ed"

Total was $110.

bumper

Ed Ft. Pierce, FL

Wow, based on your experience I am really being taken advantage of.
I took my LD into one of the few Ford dealers (New Brighton Ford) that deals with motor homes for an alignment.  They told me that my alignment was too far out of alignment and that they needed to install "adjustors" on both wheels.  This will cost a cool $325.
Ouch!

Jim Bowler 2004 MB Falkor
Jim, I had to buy these for my Ford Explorer and I was told same story.  Too far out of alignment.  This might explain the reason.  http://hostingprod.com/@.../library/ bfe1096a.htm

Joe Hamm- San Jose

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 54057
Yeah, I would have asked for a "before alignment" read out of alignment specs as they were before anyone put a wrench to the unit.
This before and after read out is something everyone should ask for when they are having an alignment. Then I would want to know what "adjusters" they are speaking of. I've owened Fords with the twin I-beam front end since 1965 and I've yet to hear of an "adjuster." I've been through alignment problems with the Ford front end, and I do have an idea what they are speaking of. My guess would be that the MH is rear end or front end heavy and they are trying to correct to comphensate for that.
If you don't understand what they want to do and they can not explain it to your satisfaction, run. There is obviously some experience and tallent on this forum who can explain and perhaps guide you.
The "adjusters" are probably different cam bushings.  I just had to get my 3 year old LD aligned (camber was out of spec).  As I understand it, the camber and caster are adjusted through an eccentric bushing somewhere in the front suspension.  Each bushing can only make changes through a small range.  If it takes a bigger adjustment, the bushings are replaced with one with the correct range for the needed adjustment.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog