Skip to main content
Topic: Toad Weights (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Toad Weights
Yahoo Message Number: 50328
Is there a place where I can get the vehicle weights for potential toad vehicles. I am looking at a Honda CRV. Anybody have experience with Honda's towing four down?

John Rudolph 2005 LD RK

Re: Toad Weights
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 50332
Anybody have experience with

Honda's towing four down?

I forgot to answer this question.  While we don't have a CR-V, we do have a Honda Element which tows great 4-down.  *Most* Honda's are towable 4-down; however, to be absolutely sure, ask the salesman for a copy of the Owner's Manual and read what it has to say about towing behind a motorhome.

Linda & Earl 2004 23.5'  Red TK From Quartzsite, AZ

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Linda Hylton

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 50334
"Is there a place where I can get the vehicle weights for... I am
looking at a Honda CRV."

John Rudolph 2005 LD RK
John

According to the Motor Home Magazine's "2005 Guide to Dinghy Towing", the most recent copy of which I have here before me, the Honda CR-V weighs 3,201 lbs. and is good to go (automatic xmission) four wheels down as long as you follow their recommended procedure.
That being, "Recirculate transmission fluid every eight towing hours." There are apparently no restrictions on the manual xmission.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 50339
" I am looking at a Honda CRV. Anybody have experience with

Honda's towing four down? "
We have been towing a 2002 CRV for a couple of years and it works great. The gas mileage is hardly changed and the it is only a little slower up the big hills. We have a '99 26.5 RB. The tow bar is a Roadmaster and the toad brake is a VIP. Both work fine.

Chris Hunter

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 50347
"Is there a place where I can get the vehicle weights for potential toad vehicles. I am looking at a Honda CRV. Anybody have experience with Honda's towing four down?"

John

www.edmunds.com is a good place to find specifications for both new and used vehicles. According to their site, both the first and second generation CRVs weight about 3250 lbs, in the AWD version and about 3200 lbs for the 2WD.

Hondas are well known being one of the best toads. All Honda transmissions may be towed without special equipment. You must follow a specific procedure when prepping an automatic for towing.
CRVs are probably one of the most commonly toad vehicles, its a good choice.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 50356
(snip) "I am looking at a Honda CRV. Anybody have experience with Honda's towing four down?"
 John: We've been towing a '99 Honda CRV with our 26.5MB for the past 2 or 3 years without negative incident, including a month in Baja.
The newer versions are equally adaptable and a better vehicle IMHO.

Anne

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 50357
" I am looking at a Honda CRV. Anybody have experience with Honda's towing four down? "
We've been towing a 2004 Honda CR-V, 4WD, auto, for the past year (as a replacement for a '02 Saturn SL2, which was a disappointment) with no problems.  We do run through through the gears at least every 200 mi., but usually sooner.  It only takes a couple of minutes.

Our tow bar is an M&G (no longer being sold, but outstanding) and a U.S.Gear Tow Brake. It's a setup that works well for us.

Sharon N.
'02 30'TB

Toad Weights
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 50388
Thank you to all for all the great input on the weightiness of Toads. You are very helpful.
 The CRV seems like a popular choice. How does one find out if a vehicle is towable?  I was looking at the competitors to the Honda. Ford has an Escape at a similar weight range as well as the new Jeep Liberty. Ford also has a hybrid on the Escape frame.   Anyone towed one of these vehicles. Its getting narrower but I like the process of comparison shopping. The Honda is still at the top of my list but right now Ford has some pretty good incentives. If I could tow an Exporer that would fit my body better than the Honda..6'3'' The Honda fits but just barely.

Waiting for my LD

John
2005 RK

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 50390
"John"  wrote:

How does one find out if a vehicle is towable?

John, check these two links; the first is Motorhome magazine's 2004 "Dinghy Towing Guide", and the second link is to the FAQs for dinghy towing.
 http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/04dinghytowing.pdf

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/dinghytowing_faq.c fm

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 50397
"Ford has an Escape at a similar weight range... Ford also has a hybrid on the Escape frame..." Anyone towed one of these
vehicles."

Waiting for my LD John 2005 RK
John

Forget the Escape, do not even go there, no way, no how. The only way an Escape can be towed is up on a trailer, completely off the ground. You can't even tow it on a dolly.

How do I know??? Because I own one of those, free and clear, and I have been everywhere trying to find out if I can tow it behind the Lazy Bones. Nope, can't do that! Not even REMCO has anything and they say they don't plan on having anything in the future.

I love the vehicle but I won't be towing it any time soon.
 Anyone out there who wants to trade a Honda CR-V (any vintage) for a 2002 Escape with only 6,000 miles???

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 50412
Quote from: John"

Thank you to all for all the great input on the weightiness of Toads. You are very helpful.

The CRV seems like a popular choice.

Hi John,

I too am in the process of selecting a toad and made my comparisons between the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4 and Subaru Forester X.  So far, I am strongly leaning towards the Subaru.  Consumer Reports picks it as their favorite and I am inclined to support their findings because of all the testing they do.  Have to admit that I have yet to drive one though but that will come next week when I drive to the closest dealer in LA.
 Additionally, I'm leaning towards the Blue Ox tow bar and the US Gear braking system.  This is because a friend has the above mentioned items on her 2002 RK and is a happy camper.  My 2005 RK is going through gestation and will be born when PO 8295 comes up.

Regards,

Dick 2005 RK (Red Rover) gonna be

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 50433
Hi all,

Been working all the time, but still reading all the posts. We are very interested in this particular discussion on toads. We have come down to looking at two Toads. The Honda CR-V and the Suzuki Grand Vitara. On our last trip to Arizona we noticed many of the RV's towing Suzukis. I have not seen any mention, in the recent posts, of Suzuki as a choice.

Anyone what to provide an opinion on Susuki as a toad?
 Hope to meet some of you at the Escapees Spring Escapade in Imperial.
Barbara, Sherman and I will be in the Handicap area at this event. We will look for the LD parking area but if any of you would like to stop by our 2005 RB Teal Lazy, we would love to meet you. We would love to see your LD and what you may have added.

Enjoy, Larry

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 50434
Been working all the time, but still reading all the posts. We are very interested in this particular discussion on toads. We have come down to looking at two Toads. The Honda CR-V and the Suzuki Grand Vitara. On our last trip to Arizona we noticed many of the RV's towing Suzukis. I have not seen any mention, in the recent posts, of Suzuki as a choice.

Anyone what to provide an opinion on Susuki as a toad?
We tow a Jeep because of its offroad capabilities.  But we know several people in the Caravan Club that tow Grand Vitaras.  Some of these folks even go four-wheeling with them (though their ground clearance is a bit limited).  Many of these folks replaced older Suzukis or Trackers.  I have to believe they tow just fine.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 50435
We tow a Jeep because of its offroad capabilities.  Some of these folks even go four-wheeling with them (though their ground clearance is a bit limited).

Art
Thanks Art. I pondered over the Jeep Wrangler for months and almost settled on this type of toad but I also need more of some car features than the Jeep provides. At the same time I wanted the ability to go on moderate offroad adventures. The Suzuki has a real 4WD model and with an automatic transmission will tow 4-wheels down.
In addition I understand that the Suzuki does not rack up milage on the odometer when it is towed 4-wheels down.

What I would like to know is does it hold up. Will I face lots of repairs. The CR-V has an excellent record of quality. But it is not a true 4WD toad.

Anyone else have opinions on Suzuki?

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 50457
Quote from: Barbara, Larry and SHERMAN"
(snip)
 "I wanted the ability to go on moderate offroad adventures...the CR- V has an excellent record of quality. But it is not a true 4WD toad."

Unless I am mistaken Honda makes a 4WD CR-V as well as the 2WD, which we have. Don't know about it's towability, however.

Anne

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 50459
(snip)
 "I wanted the ability to go on moderate offroad adventures...the CR- V has an excellent record of quality. But it is not a true 4WD toad."

Unless I am mistaken Honda makes a 4WD CR-V as well as the 2WD, which we have. Don't know about it's towability, however.
I don't believe that the CRV has a low-range transfer case.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 50462
"Unless I am mistaken Honda makes a 4WD CR-V as well as the 2WD, which we have. Don't know about it's towability, however."

My brother has owned a CRV for several years and it has been an outstanding performer, especially in snow and icy conditions but it is not designed for serious off-roading. It is just a repackaged Honda Civic with a little extra ground clearance and the optional AWD.

We look at the CRV but wanted a vehicle suitable for any road condition. A Jeep Cherokee was our choice but this may be more than what many people need. In stock form, it will go almost anywhere you would want in addition to carrying up to five passengers and cargo in all-weather comfort. With modification, Cherokees will run the Rubicon Trail.

The CRV is available with optional automatic all-wheel-drive. It normally operates in two-wheel drive until the transmission detects one or both of the front wheels slipping. It will then engage the rear drive shaft, powering the rear wheels. It does this as long as slippage is detected in the front wheels. Once the front wheels stop slipping, the rear wheels disengage. The system is not designed for long-term usage in low traction conditions, only short term ones.
The CRV does not have a low range for steep or tricky roads.
Both the two-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive models are towable.
 If you decide on a CRV, get the second-generation model. They have a more powerful engine, are quieter and handle better.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: Toad Weights Jeep Cherokee
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 50468
The Jeep Cherokee might be better from a legroom perspective also but what about the weight?

Thank you everyone for this discussion it has been very helpful.

John Rudolph 26.5 RK Teal

Re: Toad Weights Jeep Cherokee
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 50469
"The Jeep Cherokee might be better from a legroom perspective also but what about the weight? "

John

A 4X4 Cherokee weights about the same as a CRV.

Larry
2001 MB

Toad Weights
Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 50331
Is there a place where I can get the vehicle weights for potential toad vehicles. I am looking at a Honda CRV. Anybody have experience with Honda's towing four down?

Motorhome Magazine publishes a Dinghy Towing Guide each January.  Among the information included in the guides are vehicle weights.
 The past several year's worth of guides are on the magazines website, and it used to be available to *anyone* to view.  However, I was at their website just a day or so ago, and they now have it set up so that you have to be a subscriber to their magazine and sign in before you can view any of the guides.
 Short of going to each brand's website and looking up the information -- or going to a dealer and getting the brochure -- I don't know of any other place on the Web where this information is listed.  Maybe someone else here does.

Linda Hylton

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Toad Weights
Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 50335
Is there a place where I can get the vehicle weights for
potential toad vehicles.

Motorhome Magazine publishes a Dinghy Towing Guide each January.
Among the information included in the guides are vehicle weights.

The past several year's worth of guides are on the magazines website, and it used to be available to *anyone* to view.  However, I was at their website just a day or so ago, and they now have it set up so that you have to be a subscriber to their magazine and sign in before you can view any of the guides.
I went to http://www.motorhomemagazine.com just now and downloaded a pdf file of  their 2004 Dinghy Towing Guide with no problem.  I do not subscribe to the magazine and did not sign in.  The guides are at the bottom of their home page. Guides for 2002 and  2003 are also available.

Monti

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Toad Weights
Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 50340
I went to http://www.motorhomemagazine.com just now and downloaded a pdf file of  their 2004 Dinghy Towing Guide with no problem.  I do not subscribe to the magazine and did not sign in.

Now that's weird!  After reading the above, I went to Motorhome Magazines website and was also able to open their towing guides.  However, I was at their site yesterday or the day before and tried to open several of the Towing Guides, but got a screen where I was asked to sign in.  If I didn't have an account set up, it required me to put my magazine subscription number in, as well as other information.  Perhaps they received a lot of complaints about not letting non-subscribers get to the information and redid their website.

Linda Hylton

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 50341
wrote: Motorhome Magazine publishes a Dinghy Towing Guide each January.
Among the information included in the guides are vehicle weights.
The past several year's worth of guides are on the magazines website, and it used to be available to *anyone* to view.  However, I was at their website just a day or so ago, and they now have it set up so that you have to be asubscriber to their magazine and sign in before you can view any of the guides.

This wasn't my experience; I went to www.rv.net, clicked on the "Magazines" tab, then on "Motorhome.  Toward the lower right corner is "Dinghy Towing"; guides through 2004 (the 2005 guide isn't available on the website yet) are accessible in PDF.  Here's the direct link to the 2004 guide:
 http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/04dinghytowing.pdf 
Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Toad Weights
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 50368
With regard to your former Saturn SL2, what specifically didn't you like about it?  We are in the process of purchasing our first toad, and a Saturn seemed like the logical choice. Is the SL2 the larger Saturn (which is what we want)?   How hard is the Honda to hook up compared to the Saturn?  Any difference?

Silver Belle

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
2002 30' IB