Skip to main content
Topic: OPD answer (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
OPD answer
Yahoo Message Number: 50235
Here's Al's response to whether the OPD always works as designed:

"The OPD is supposed to stop overfilling, but I have been led to believe that they are not 100%.  It is recommended that the filling attendant use the 80% bleed valve as an alternate check while filling an OPD equipped cylinder."

I'll post his reply to the purging question when I receive it.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: OPD answer
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 50252
Here's Al's response to whether the OPD always works as designed:

"The OPD is supposed to stop overfilling, but I have been led to believe that they are not 100%.  It is recommended that the filling attendant use the 80% bleed valve as an alternate check while filling an OPD equipped cylinder." I'll post his reply to the purging question when I receive it.
Joan
Thanks Joan! From the reply, it sounds like its very possible for an untrained propane attendant to overfill the tank. I'm going to have to monitor this more carefully in the future.

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Re: OPD answer
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 50278
nukamper2000  wrote: From the reply, it sounds like its very possible for an untrained propane attendant to overfill the tank. I'm going to have to monitor this more carefully in the future.

My experiences and observations with a few clueless propane fillers support the need to choose the fill facility carefully and watch while the attendant fills the tank.  In California, anyone who dispenses propane is *supposed* to have had training, but the following folks were apparently absent when the "safety" stuff was covered:

The (gas station) attendant who began filling a motorhome's tank with a lighted cigarette in his mouth!  (The motorhome's driver had gone into the convenience store. I hollered at the filler to put out the cigarette -- from a distance!)

The (gas station) kid who filled up a 5 gallon tank, then put it into the back seat of a station wagon with several kids inside!

The (campground) attendant who overfilled a truck camper's tank to the degree that LPG was spewing everywhere, then turned on a water hose and sprayed the tank area as damage control!

The cocky (repair facility) worker who didn't "need" the heavy leather gloves to fill the propane tank, then proceeded to "burn" his hand!
 I've had only one bad experience at a propane supplier/dealer -- the attendant (in a small propane place in NM) was on his first day at the job, and couldn't figure out how to work the pump.  (I went on down the road propane-less.)

I'm convinced that propane fills are most safely done at a propane dealer's/ supplier's.  No guarantees, but IMO, the chances of getting a trained and competent attendant who understands and respects "gas" are much better at a propane dealer's than at a gas station, campground, or even some repair facilities.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

OPD answer
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 50291
Pardon my ignorance, but re: overfilling the propane tank, does that mean when air, gas or what ever that is that spews out of the top of the tank when it is being filled,  that is when it should be turned off?  That is what I have noticed that they do.  Have never had a problem lighting the stove, refrig. or the furnace.   And my propane gauge reads full when they are finished.   I am assuming that is a pressure reading, ie propane and air.

Just when I think I might know what I am doing! Pat (Mac) Sunny No Cal. 70's almost 80.  What happened to winter?