Skip to main content
Topic: Spare tire cover removal (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Spare tire cover removal
Yahoo Message Number: 50226
I need to remove the spare tire cover on my 23.5 to have a "painting" done on it -- the rig is too tall to fit through the paint shop door. How do I remove (and replace!) the cover? Thanks.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Spare tire cover removal
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 50245
"I need to remove the spare tire cover on my 23.5 to have a "painting" done on it  How do I remove (and replace!) the cover?"

Joan

The door uses a piano hinge. Looking at the hinge, with the cover open, you will see that the hinge is attached to the coach with Phillips-head screws. Remove the screws and the door should come off.
I would not be surprised if LD used sealant on the hinge, so you may need to use a little force to get it to pop off.
Before removing the door, you need to cut the wires going to the trailer light plug. The plug is riveted in place; so I would not attempt to remove it Mark the wires, before cutting, so they can be correctly spliced back together.
Have the splices soldered, to prevent future problems.

So, what kind of `painting' are you getting?

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: Spare tire cover removal
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 50255
"Larry"  wrote:

The door uses a piano hinge. Looking at the hinge, with the cover open, you will see that the hinge is attached to the coach with Phillips-head screws. Remove the screws and the door should come off.
....Before removing the door, you need to cut the wires going to the trailer light plug. The plug is riveted in place; so I would not attempt to remove it Mark the wires, before cutting, so they can be correctly spliced back together. Have the splices soldered, to prevent future problems.

So, what kind of `painting' are you getting?

Thanks, Larry!  I wanted to see if there was a way to avoid unscrewing the whole hinge -- thought maybe I could just "pull the pin"! I didn't anticipate having to cut any wires, but having an engineer neighbor with a soldering iron is often handy.

The painting will be a bush of California poppies.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home