Skip to main content
Topic: Roadmaster vs. Blue Ox (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Roadmaster vs. Blue Ox
Yahoo Message Number: 50179
I am considering these two brands for my 04 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited w/my 23 1/2 RL.  Any input as to pros and cons of each brand.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Roadmaster vs. Blue Ox
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 50185
I am considering these two brands for my 04 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited w/my 23 1/2 RL.  Any input as to pros and cons of each brand.
Thanks in advance.
I have a Roadmaster Sterling which works very well.  From observaton and reading posts on this site, it appears both brands are excellent.
You should probably make your choice on the basis of the the best dealer in the area or perhaps a particular feature(s) you like.

Linley

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Roadmaster vs. Blue Ox
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 50189
Hi Peggy Don't buy your life jackets from Wal-Mart by the same token don't buy a cheep tow bar. I bought my Blue Ox in 1999 after all this time and miles it is getting some slack here and there and on a ruff road lets Horney Toad do a little dipsy doodle but not bad. it is the all aluminum one -27lbs.and stays on the rig not on the front of the toad. Look at all of them before you make up your mind. Good luck Robert

Peggy Zabel pzabel@...> wrote:

To visit your group on the web, go to: http://www.lazydazeowners.com/

">lifewithalazydazerv-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Your   Terms of Servic

Robert & Roberta, Rozie and the Horney Toad, SKP#702

Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced search. Learn more.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Roadmaster vs. Blue Ox
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 50213
Two years ago I went through this same process deciding how to tow my 2000 Jeep Cherokee.  After looking at both brands of tow bars, I started looking at the baseplates that fit the Cherokee. (Both companies sell tow bars with "feet" that fit the other company's base plates.)
 At the time the Roadmaster baseplate was a complex thing.  There were brackets that mounted on the vehicle frame and protruded through the lower "air dam" at the front of the Jeep.  Attached to these brackets, was another set of brackets and a cross member that went across the front of the Jeep, just below the bumper.  The parts were held together with pins and clips. (Roadmaster recommended that you replace the clips with padlocks so that no one could steel it.)  The whole thing stuck out and front of the Cherokee and I thought that it was ugly.  (For some vehicles, Roadmaster had "invisible" brackets that allowed you to remove the "front brackets and bars", however, they weren't available for the Cherokee.)

The Blue Ox baseplate was built like a hitch receiver; square steel tube across the front with end brackets that mount to the Cherokee frame.  Welded to the front of the tube were the connections for the tow bar feet.  After being installed the square steel tube is behind the air dam.  The only visible parts are the connections for the tow bar feet which protrude through holes cut into the air dam.
 I thought that the tow-bar-foot-to-baseplate connection was a little more rugged with the Roadmaster baseplate, however, I thought that the Blue Ox connection was more than adequate.  I have been told that Roadmaster has redesigned their baseplates to be more like the Blue Ox baseplate, however, I have not checked into it or seen one.
 After having the Blue Ox baseplate (and their independent light kit) installed on my Cherokee, I bought a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar with Blue Ox feet.  I chose it over the Blue Ox aluminum bar because it came with electrical cable, safety cables, and had the "cable ducts" to hold them both. One of the basic differences between these two bars is that the Blue Ox bar has "boots" that cover the sliding arms, while the sliding arms on the Sterling are open to road dirt, etc.
Roadmaster gives you instructions on how to clean and lubricate the Sterling using WD-40 and silicon lube.  When we are traveling I do this at least once per month.  A very simple process and takes only a few minutes.
 To date I have towed the Cherokee about 20,000 miles and have had no problems with either the tow bar or baseplate.
 As to buying the components, I had the baseplate installed by a local RV maintenance shop.  For the towbar, I shopped for the best price.
I finally bought it on the web from http://www.rvproshops.com  Their price was significantly less than the price at Camping World.  The towbar was shipped to me directly from the Roadmaster factory.

Doug