Skip to main content
Topic: external generator (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
external generator
Yahoo Message Number: 50118
I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if a 2500 watt generator would be enough to power a roof AC unit.

Thank you

Re: external generator
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 50127
I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if a 2500 watt generator would be enough to power a roof AC unit?
The standard AC on the 26.5' models draws a bit less than 15 amps when running.  At 120 volts that works out to 1800 Volt-Amps which is "sorta" the same as Watts (other engineers please forgive me).  So, yes a 2500 Watt generator should be sufficient to run the AC but it might have a problem starting it.

If memory serves the AC manufacturer says to use a 4000 Watt generator.  However, I have often quite successfully run the AC on a hot day from a 20 amp circuit breaker (after turning the refrigerator to gas mode to get rid of its load).  A 2500 Watt generator should also have a 20 amp circuit breaker which is essentially the same thing. So, if it is a hefty generator, one that says it has the ability to start motors, I would suggest trying it and seeing if it can reliably start the AC's compressor on a hot day.  Even then, I would standby to quickly disconnect the load if it doesn't start the it easily.  But, it should work.  On the other hand, if the generator is a smaller unit that isn't rated for motor starting it might be iffy.

Linley

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 50143
The owner's manual for the 13,500 Btu DuoTherm Penguin states that it needs a minimum of a 3500-watt generator for starting.
You may get it to start with a 25000-watt gen but it probably will not start at higher altitudes, where generators produce less power.
Starting an A/C on less than the needed current may damage it.

The owner's manual also states that an 11,000 Penguin requires a 2500-watt minimum size generator. If you do not already have an A/C, buy one with reduced power requirements.
 Most 2500-watt generators are the inexpensive, homeowner types, which make incredible amounts of noise. I hope yours is a quiet type, if not please do not camp anywhere near me  :-).
If you have not already bought a generator, please save your money for a 3000 watt inverter type generator (such as a Honda or Kawasaki).
They are well insulated and very quiet.
You can buy/build a mount that will allow you to carry it in the trailer hitch receiver.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 50168
I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if a 2500 watt generator would be enough to power a roof AC unit.
Two things to be aware of - make certain you know both the continuous duty and surge ratings of your generator. The operating current or power rating of the AC must be less than the continuous rating of the generator. The starting current/power of the compressor motor can be 2 to 4 times that and THAT must be less than the surge rating of the generator. If you have any doubts, check with the manufacturer of your AC unit.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit