Skip to main content
Topic: Minnie Winnie Pick-Up (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Minnie Winnie Pick-Up
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 49966
I don't mean to appear inhospitable to visitors, but this post links to SOB owners' site and appears to be a blatant sales pitch for that SOB and the distributor. I didn't think that was the purpose of this site devoted to LD.

Of some small interest here: there is a peripheral mention on the pickup posting as to why he did NOT choose LD. It seems the wife did not like the interior design. (sigh)  Been there!

Anyway.... Andy???

- David

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 49967
I don't mean to appear inhospitable to visitors, but this post links to SOB owners' site and appears to be a blatant sales pitch for that SOB and the distributor. I didn't think that was the purpose of this site devoted to LD.
I read all (four) posts on this guys forum and thought it was sincere rather than a sales pitch. I got a kick out of it--he wanted a Lazy Daze but his wife wouldn' let him buy one. Who can't relate to that situation? Anyway, I'll welcome him to the LD forum because even after 3 months since he made his purchase, it is clear to me that his love is still a Lazy Daze (oh, his cheatin' heart).

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 49970
Normally we discourage posts that are as completely off topic at that one, but since Mike was a longtime LD wannabe, I figured we could let it pass this time. If nothing else, it gives us an idea of how fortunate we are. Mike's wife got the interior decor she wanted...and Mike got a rig that's so close to its weight limits that adding 120 pounds of batteries would put it over. My condolences, Mike. ;-)

And now back to Lazy Daze discussion.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 49971
Mike, thanks for posting the follow-up on your purchase. I think a lot of us were wondering what you'd end up buying. Good luck with the Winnie.

Karen

was Minnie Winnie Pick-Up now ? on your 2003 MB
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 49975
Would have emailed off list but you didn't have an email noted. Was wondering who you purchased your 2003 from, private party or other?

If you would reply to me at disccopy2 (@) cfl rr com

Thanks

Sylvia H.
Satellite Beach FL "The DogHouse" 30 IB

I decided I like the LD so much more.  So, tomorrow at noon

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 49988
Hope you got a Minnie that came off the line in good shape.  Some
do.

They are good RVs and their owners have very few problems with
them.

However, many posts on RV forums suggest that buying a new Minnie is a crap shoot. A LOT of new Winnies go straight from factory to dealer with serious defects, flaws and these RVs experience early component failures.
A friend has a Minnie Winnie. I showed him the neat and tidy wiring harness hidden behind the microwave on my MB as I had it apart to add stuff. He said, "Mine's not like that . . . the wiring is a mass of spaghetti back there".

LD's "behind the facade" quality is what makes the difference.
Unless a manufacture is truly focused on quality, that very often the customer will never see (rare these days), they tend to cut hidden corners to save a buck.
 Bottom line: LD gives you down-deep quality . . . and fabric you may not care for! Thus buying a new LD is a sure thing. Buying an SOB is most often a sure thing too!

all the best,

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 49990
That's exactly why we research nerds all bought LDs.
 Before buying an LD, I checked out Born Free, Chinook and Big Foot -- all top quality RVs.   LD matched or exceeded them on quality and handling .. and beat them on price.  They beat LD only on luxury trim and bells and whistles ... none of which were worth extra $$$$ to me.

LD's "behind the facade" quality is what makes the difference.
... Bottom line: LD gives you down-deep quality

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 49994
That's exactly why we research nerds all bought LDs.

My husband and I were watching an RV program on the Travel Channel
last month.  They had gone to the one of the RV Factories in Riverside County.  I think it was Fleetwood.  I belive they said it takes them only 3 days to produce a motorhome from beginning to ready for delivery.  In my opinion, nothing of quality gets built in 3 days.

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Minnie Winnie Pick-Up
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 50045
Most autos are built from start to finish in less than 4 hours on
a US

production line and one comes off the line in less than a minute, every minute.

FREDERICK
You have made all of the LD's owners point - thank you.

Dave

Ruby the red 04 RK - the first American made vehicle I have ever
owned and still keeping my fingers crossed that the Ford parts hold
up.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 50054
The alleged fragility of US-built vehicles is an old but inaccurate story.

Over the years, my inexpensive US built Fords, Plymouths, Chevvies and Buicks all gave me 100,000 - 125,000 relatively trouble-free miles before I sold them

] Re: Was Minnie..now auto production time
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 50085
Most autos are built from start to finish in less than 4 hours on a
US production line and one comes off the line in less than a minute, every minute. The quality is in the engineering planning and the production systems not the time it takes to actually build it.

FREDERICK
While this is not specifically an LD issue, I feel the need to correct the above information. I have toured several auto assembly plants in the US, and can tell you the above information is not accurate. While many assembly plants do infact complete 60 cars or more per hour, the actual time on the assembly line is much greater than 4 hours. Production time varies considerabley among the assembly factories; when I last toured the Lordstown GM assembly plant, and this was some time ago, it took about 18 hours to complete an assembly. This does not take into cosideration the amount of time manufacturing the components.

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 50089
Most autos are built from start to finish in less than 4 hours on a US production line and one comes off the line in less than a minute, every minute.

FREDERICK

Frederick:
I can be wrong, but I think that we are here making comparisons of apples with oranges.
 The most modern car assembly lines work with: 1) Steel, Aluminum and various Plastics parts, all ready made, and with very close tolerances.

2) They don't assemble anymore part by part, but they receive  ready "pre-assemblies", like a full rear axle "everything included",  with rear end, brakes, and attachments to suspension. The wiring is  bought already pre cut exactly to size and already attached together,  in very few sub-assemblies. The full panel comes ready, with  instrument cluster and all the connections, ready to plug in to the  cables. The engines and gearbox come to asemmbly line already  assembled, and it's common to be bought ready from another company,  or a same company engine and/or transmission factories.

3) All the weldings are done by robots.

The non chassis part of a motorhome is a really "manufacured" thing, from wood, aluminum and fiberglass standard sheets and pieces, which must be cut to size and assmbled manually, using jigs.
 Motorhomes are much more complex than cars, and, to be a good one, it needs trained personnel, who really likes and take pride of what they are doing, and strict quality control. I's not mindless "Modern Times", Chaplinian assembly. It's a work of art and love. And it takes time for that.

Around one unit per working day, it's Lazy Daze production. That's why LD'a are more than an excellent product; they are a "cult" object.

That's why you look to high production SOB's details, and find something like the back side of an old west city movie scenario.

Beautiful in the front, almost nothing, and in a makeshift way, behind.
 Electrical cables that seem a spaguetti plate, frames haphardly made, cabinets that fall by themselves (this is a real story, told to us in a message, as far I remember by Larry or Steve (433)), water leaks, and so on. This is the result of very cheap labour, of course with a high turnover, so bye bye training and experience, with rigid production schedule to meet, no matter what.
 Yes, the SOB's in question are produced at a rate that is probably LD year's production...per working day!

In reality, we must be happy that most motorhomes buyers don't know or don't think... or the wait for a new LD would be six years, not six months...

Eudoro "over a VERY strong soapbox" Lemos, Jr.