Skip to main content
Topic: Re I-5 Over Night (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Re I-5 Over Night
Yahoo Message Number: 49950
During the Winter months, when we and "Merlot" travel South to California from the Portland, OR. area,  we try to use the beautiful and slow coastal route 1 and 101. This is because we like to travel  s l o w l y  ( two to four hours per day ) and because of potential snow conditions if we were to cross the Siskiyou mountain range on I-5.
But, when destination dates and time are important . . I -5 does the job. In fact, as far as scenery goes, it's a rather lovely route all the way down to Redding, CA.  Here's what we do: It's about a six hour drive from Portland to Grants Pass, OR where there are many fine commercial RV Parks or I highly recommend the Oregon State Park a few miles South of town just before crossing the Rogue River. One could continue driving further South, but we prefer to view the beautiful rugged vistas of the Siskiyou's in fresh morning light.  But if circumstances require it - such as a snow storm approaching that might close the road -you'll need to make Redding, CA. to be at a low enough elevation not to concerned about the weather. This will add at least another two hours of driving. In Redding, CA. we can highly recommend "Premier RV Resorts.
During the next day's, six to eight hour, drive the Winter scenery will go from blah to very blah, but hope awaits you South of Stockton where at Los Banos you'll turn West on hwy 152 and clime a short distance to The San Luis Reservoir State Recreation Area  with very nice, non hook-up, sites. We always take the sites that are at elevation for the lovely views.  In the morning, if speed and time are still your motivator, you would continue South on I-5 where the scenery turns extremely blah and busy, rough road conditions await as have been referenced here. If going in this direction we always stop at the Harris Ranch ( just off I-5 South of Coalinga on the East side ) for a late breakfast of steak n eggs ( which sure beats my usual breakfast of yogurt . . but after that boring drive one deserves this kind of reward ) and to explore the wonderful early California architecture of this historic ranch which is akin to Hurst's San Simeon.
Or after leaving San Luis you could take Hwy 152 East to Hwy 99 and at this point continue South. In either example, the Bakersfield, CA. area would then be a logical next destination. Here we have, also, been pleased and enjoyed the Orange Grove RV park on the East side of town. At this point directional choice becomes a  personal decision. I really dislike passing through Los Angeles - and if I had the time, would certainly go around it - but sometimes you just can't. I've tried various techniques, such as driving after midnight or early Sunday morning, but each one has its down side . . so I usually calm my mind and just do it - after all, the evening beverage will taste better than ever !

Bill Atkins

"Merlot" 26.5 2002 RB