Skip to main content
Topic: Damaged siding update... Thanks for input! (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Damaged siding update... Thanks for input!
Yahoo Message Number: 49929
Thanks for all the suggestions concerning my damaged panel.  I called Lazy Daze and talked to Vince in service.  He did not want to commit to "the best repair" for Loke without seeing it, but said I could send pictures of the area, and he would call me back.
The lowest panel is indeed fiberglass (at least on my '86) and sometimes they do repair rather than replace a panel.  He also said he is taking appointments for MAY, which is a bit longer then I'd like to wait! Although if I can get resealing done at the same time, it might be worth the trip.
Thanks Kay Lokelani, 86 muliplan

Re: Damaged siding update... Thanks for input!
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 49973
Although if I can get resealing done at the same time,

it might be worth the trip.
Thanks Kay Lokelani, 86 muliplan
Being a wanna be that is trying to learn as much as possible.....how often does a rig have to be resealed and about how much does it cost?  Is it something a fairly incompetent handy person could do?

Thanks

Terry

Re: Resealing done by LD
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 49979
Terry wrote: > Being a wanna be that is trying to learn as much as possible.....how

often does a rig have to be resealed and about how much does it cost?  Is it something a fairly incompetent handy person could do?
Terry:  Having recently purchased our '95 22' FL, we wanted to start out by having it resealed at the factory (it had no leaks but had never been resealed). The cost of having it done by Lazy Daze was as follows: 3.5 gal roof seal $157, 4 polyurethene/(caulk?)$18, solvent/rags(tape?) $20, Labor $825.  If we had had the spare time we probably could have done it ourselves, but we were too busy at work.
I think it takes more time and patience than expertise (but I am happy that the experts did it).

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 49991
"drain_hodges"  wrote:

"I think it takes more time and patience than expertise (but I am happy that the experts did it)."

The keys to a lasting re-sealing are fanatical surface prep and using the correct products for the materials to be re-sealed.  Many RV shops do not/will not take the time to properly clean, dry, and prepare the surfaces, and will often slap on whatever goop is handy, appropriate or not, to "re-seal" the surfaces.  (They apparently figure that since much of the re-sealing is on the roof and along roof lines, nobody is going to notice their sloppy work.) In my experience, if a shop does a conscientious prep and seal using the right sealants, it's likely that their other work will be of equal quality.
 It's getting a *lot* tougher to get up on that roof and crawl around searching out potential trouble spots, but I try to do a complete roof check every couple of months; if something looks "iffy", I clean it well and apply the sealant(s) from LD.  My rig is a 2003, but I figure I can avoid any "big" re-sealing by doing preventice maintenance for as long as I can haul myself up my neighbor's extension ladder and not fall off the roof!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 50367
I am just jumping in here, but about 18 months ago we took our rig (1992) to Lazy Daze to have the roof resealed.  After looking at
it,

they said it really didn't need it yet.  However, we did have them replace the old cooler with a Fantastic Fan, and of course they applied new sealant when then did that.  The problem is that sealant is now seriously cracked, and I think it is going to fail if I
don't

do something right away.  The old 1992 sealant looks good.

I can't figure out what went wrong.  If I didn't live 3,000 miles away I'd go back to the factory and have them look at it.  As it
is,

I need to just get it fixed.  Any suggestions?

Laurie
My suggestion would be to send this exact message to LD and get their two cents first. This doesn't sound right to me.  :-(

Dave

Ruby the red 04 RK
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 50369

I am just jumping in here, but about 18 months ago we took our rig (1992) to Lazy Daze to have the roof resealed.  After looking at it, they said it really didn't need it yet.  However, we did have them replace the old cooler with a Fantastic Fan, and of course they applied new sealant when then did that.  The problem is that sealant is now seriously cracked, and I think it is going to fail if I don't do something right away.  The old 1992 sealant looks good.

I can't figure out what went wrong.  If I didn't live 3,000 miles away I'd go back to the factory and have them look at it.  As it is, I need to just get it fixed.  Any suggestions?

Laurie
Laurie,
 I had my 97 resealed at the factory last Fall.  They are now applying white spray paint over the sealant to help protect it from UV rays.
As the sealant cured, (which took a very long time) the paint is cracking.  Being in the coating business, this appears normal to me.

Hope this makes sence.

Craig

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 50404
Thanks for the responses.  I did call the factory.  The cracking is not just
Laurie - 2018 RB