Skip to main content
Topic: Where to Stay on I-5 (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Where to Stay on I-5
Yahoo Message Number: 49899
We have been following this discussion concerning travel along Interstate 5 with interest.  We leave Tacoma Saturday morning for Montclair.  Someone suggested that when they travel they prefer US 101 to I-5 amd we certainly agree with that.  However; this time, driving the toad which will be loaded to the roofline and carrying our five month old kitten, we will not be taking the scenic route.

We dread the bumpyness of I-5 from Stockton on south and as someone pointed out there is little to see, especially this time of year.
The fields are bare and sometimes burning.  We are going to follow the advice given earlier and take US 99 from Sacramento to Bakersfield for the smoother road.  That will also enable us to pass close to two additional La Quinta Motels, (trans. We accept pets, no extra charge.) And, either city will provide a convenient stopover for our last night enroute.
 Special thanks to Joe Hamm for providing the CalTrans Road Condition
1-800 number.  We have that written down.

Pickup for our 30TB is scheduled for Wednesday morning, February 2nd, at 830 am.  We have a couple stops to make in the LA area and then we will drive north to the Central California Coast and put a thousand miles on the LD before towing our Camry to Tucson. We will file a pickup report.

Nate Walker Tacoma

Re: Where to Stay on I-5
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 49901
We have been following this discussion concerning travel along Interstate 5 with interest.  We leave Tacoma Saturday morning for Montclair.  Someone suggested that when they travel they prefer US 101 to I-5 amd we certainly agree with that.  However; this time,
Another LA advisory regarding the 101 from the Ventura CO line through LA - traffic headed south locally has depended for decades on surface routes through the mountains on canyon roads. Most of these are currently closed from mudslides or washouts. This has made the normally slow drive on this stretch of the 101 a painful trudge.
Particularly if coming from the north with no intention of visiting LA, the I-15 remains the preferred route.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit